X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Well here's the thing, the thing about the flags, this is the thing, right....?
    OK, the thing is, it's, like, Who knew?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Some fun here thanks to Paddy Power bookmakers http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...?newsfeed=true

The cheeky ads proclaim Paddy Power as the "Official sponsor of the largest athletics event in London this year! There you go, we said it." They then go on to reveal that the sponsorship is of an egg and spoon race to be held in the town of London in France.

LOCOG backed down...

Olympic organisers had ordered campaign be taken down for breaching strict rules on ambush marketing. By Mark Sweney

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        Yes, of course they do, but not quite for the reason you imply. It doesn't matter that their countries' names are similar. This is the Olympics - it encompasses pretty well the whole world of sport. Those responsible should have been prepared for something like this. The two Koreas' names are confusing? So prepare so that there is no confusion. We cannot choose the names (or flags) of countries, so we should do our homework and anticipate misunderstandings. The fault is not with the Koreans. Apart from anything else, it's basic courtesy.
        I felt Caliban was being 'ironic' but you are absolutely right!

This cannot be put down to a simple 'error' ... it was pure gross and potentially very harmful incompetence and, as you say, very discourteous to the country affected (however vile the regime), as such a simple thing as a correct flag for a particular country should have been checked rigorously.

The fact that patently it other wasn't poses so many questions about similar vital and important aspects of London's handling of these Olympics and the required protocol.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post

This cannot be put down to a simple 'error' ... it was pure gross and potentially very harmful incompetence and, as you say, very discourteous to the country affected (however vile the regime), as such a simple thing as a correct flag for a particular country should have been checked rigorously.

The fact that patently it other wasn't poses so many questions about similar vital and important aspects of London's handling of these Olympics and the required protocol.
          On the other and slightly less hysterical hand, it might just be the one hiccup - how wonderful that we got it out of the way early on

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            On the other and slightly less hysterical hand, it might just be the one hiccup - how wonderful that we got it out of the way early on
            What enviable magnanimity. (how I wish that were real )

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I was and he is

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

I was and he is
                Actually, I never doubted your I was just using your post as a launching pad.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                  Actually, I never doubted your I was just using your post as a launching pad.
                  You are more than welcome!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

You are more than welcome!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

A comedian on The Wright Stuff this morning suggested they should bring in koreas advisers! Obviously been reading this thread.

Comment

• scottycelt

Only 'hysterical' to those with a superficial grasp of the vital importance of getting very simple things correct when inviting guests to one's home, amsey ...

I also see Prime Minister Cameron agrees with your view that is really nothing to be too concerned about ... 'an honest and unfortunate mistake', he says.

It was not ... it was sloppy, gross incompetence and deeply insulting to visiting representatives of another country. Let's just hope none of our other guests have to suffer similar 'honest and unfortunate mistakes'.

Comment

• amateur51

Only 'hysterical' to those with a superficial grasp of the vital importance of getting very simple things correct when inviting guests to one's home, amsey ...

I also see Prime Minister Cameron agrees with your view that is really nothing to be too concerned about ... 'an honest and unfortunate mistake', he says.

It was not ... it was sloppy, gross incompetence and deeply insulting to visiting representatives of another country. Let's just hope none of our other guests have to suffer similar 'honest and unfortunate mistakes'.
                          And you've never made a mistake, scotty?

Cut the guys some slack and put a cold wet flannel on the back of your neck.

Comment

• scottycelt

And you've never made a mistake, scotty?

Cut the guys some slack and put a cold wet flannel on the back of your neck.
                            Yes, I've always been greatly impressed how cooly relaxed and tolerant you are on most other matters, amsey ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

On a different aspect of last night's football matches, we were being warned of traffic disruption - what traffic disruption? None here. No noticable effect at all, except for the shuttle bus trundling from the car parks to the stadium & back - I didn't notice if there were any people on board.

Comment

• amateur51

Yes, I've always been greatly impressed how cooly relaxed and tolerant you are on most other matters, amsey ...
                                Well I know how seriously you take things like flags and national anthems, scotty

Mind you it'll be a while since you've heard the Scottish anthem on the winner's podium

I like this version ...

Scottish national Anthem..1.O flower of ScotlandWhen will we seeYour like againThat fought and died forYour wee bit hill and glenAnd stood against himProud E...

Do you think it was done with a bontempi?

Comment

Working...
                                X