Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Some Highlights From The G4S Training Cente

I had arrived shortly before 9am on Thursday posing as an unemployed man seeking work as a security guard. With no checks or questions, I was whisked into a large lecture hall with 130 other people and a woman demanding to see my passport. ‘Passport, name, date of birth,’ she barked. I handed it over. I was now officially signed up to complete a course.

The hall in the University of East London was filled with lots of people in their late teens and early twenties who had been largely signed up straight from college and Jobcentres. These would make up the bulk of ‘perimeter security’, with the crucial job of guarding entrances, exits and borders of the events, making sure nothing was smuggled in.

The trainer who ran the course warned us not to fall asleep as we were ‘getting paid to attend’. Staggeringly, five people did doze off and had to be abruptly woken up; someone the previous week was caught doing his college homework.....Three boys aged 18 from the local sixth-form college slumped in the back row and were continually told off for not taking their baseball caps off and for spitting in the street outside during ‘smoke breaks’.

In an attempt to get people ‘switched on’, the class was told that some security staff had already been sacked – including one for committing a vile act in the aquatic centre.

It took the class around an hour to fill out the basic Security Industry Authority application form that asked only for name, age and address. It was made easier as the supervisor filled it out on a big screen with us line by line. One man, originally from East Africa, could hardly read or write English and had to be helped to fill out his form personally, but still managed to write his date of birth down so it made him six months old.

During the day, my name was read out from the list to complete the course’s 40-minute multiple choice exam. I asked a manager what the test was like. He quipped: ‘If you don’t pass it you’re a remedial as the questions are like: 'Is a security operator a) someone who carries out security duties at a licensed premises, b) a milkman or c) a pilot.’ I wished he was wrong – there were people on our course repeating it after failing the exam the week before.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

From todays Independent

Olympics organisers have warned businesses that during London 2012 their advertising should not include a list of banned words, including "gold", "silver" and "bronze", "summer", "sponsors" and "London".

suggestions for other words ?

Arse , Elbow, ?

And I guess the Norfolk Turkey business is buggered then ?

Comment

• Northender

I suggest that, the minute any athlete, or any action or movement by an athlete, is described as 'bootiful', the lawyers acting for the Bernard Matthews Company should serve a writ on Locog and Coe.

Comment

• scottycelt

Regarding G4S ...

It's the same old story ... management (in this case the government) prematurely boasting that it has achieved its goals 'under budget' only to come a cropper later. Just as well we have our 'poor bloody infantry' to sort out the mess!

This farce reminds me of companies who sack reliable reliable cleaning staff and contract-out the work to semi-crooked firms who employ people at virtual slave-rates, only to find that many don't turn up, and the company has to employ more security staff because of the increased pilfering by those who do!

Surely public-safety and security should have been at the very top of the agenda for these games and only the very best and most reliable companies should have ever been considered for the task. Obviously this particular company was in no fit state to undertake such a huge contract, and I'm willing to bet it was only hired because it was a cheaper (or cheapest) option. and it simply gave the same assurances as all the others!

It might have been assumed that the Government would have gone that little bit further in ensuring the right company/companies was/were appointed for such a massive project of global interest, apart from it's obvious duty to ensure the very best protection for the public.

To my mind this is a much more worrying example of ministerial 'unsuitability' than anything yet exposed at Leveson!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
            Regarding G4S ...

It's the same old story ...

To my mind this is a much more worrying example of ministerial 'unsuitability' than anything yet exposed at Leveson!
            I do wish you'd put a sock in it about Leveson, scotty.

You're beginning to look rather foolish.

On second thoughts ...

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              I have learnt that the Welsh Cavalry and our 1st Rifles are now on standby to be brought in!! Londoners - you can sleep easy in your beds knowing that the Games will be guarded by the Welsh
              Maybe so - but how secure will that make the Welsh themselves feel, knowing that sectors of their armed forces will be on active service outside Wales, leaving the Principality itself (and possibly even Herefordistan as well) less well defended?(!)...

Comment

• JohnSkelton

cleaning staff ... at virtual slave-rates

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-cleaners.html (The Daily Mail, no less).

Surely public-safety and security should have been at the very top of the agenda for these games and only the very best and most reliable companies should have ever been considered for the task. Obviously this particular company was in no fit state to undertake such a huge contract, and I'm willing to bet it was only hired because it was a cheaper (or cheapest) option.
                You'd probably lose your bet. As ever I'm not an expert, but my understanding from acquaintances who have sought employment in the security industry is that there's very little distance between top and bottom, except the lower depths are even more unutterably awful (remember the Jubilee security story, which someone here described as sensationalist? Can't remember who that was). G4S is a large American company [edit: originally American company], who were given chunks of business by New Labour while privatising (in line with contemporary orthodoxy).

It has to be obvious now, surely? The only benefits from privatisation accrue to shareholders, directors and senior employees of private companies. How can it deliver (to use that awful buzzword) better or indeed more cost-effectively when the prime purpose of the business is profit and dividend? A catastrophe looms in the NHS that will make the expensive disaster of rail privatisation look almost benign (and it has been a disaster, specifically in terms of cost: look at the cost of having to take the track back into public ownership, the subsidies that have been handed out to train operators).

With the Army now establishing itself in London I wonder if this will mark a permanent shift in so-called public order policy?
                Last edited by Guest; 16-07-12, 12:03.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
                  G4S is a large American company [edit: originally American company], who were given chunks of business by New Labour while privatising (in line with contemporary orthodoxy).

That appears to be the US subsidiary of a UK based parent company.

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    Maybe so - but how secure will that make the Welsh themselves feel, knowing that sectors of their armed forces will be on active service outside Wales, leaving the Principality itself (and possibly even Herefordistan as well) less well defended?(!)...
                    If only dear old Captain Mainwaring (aka Mannering) were still with us! I'm sure he, together with Wilson, Jones, Godfrey and the others would have kept the border safe. By the way, do you happen to know who leeked the references to Llewellyn?

Comment

• Frances_iom
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post

With the Army now establishing itself in London I wonder if this will mark a permanent shift in so-called public order policy?
                      well those at the top, unlike other countries where the masses finally recognised they had been pushed too far, don't need to worry that the troops would refuse to fire on unarmed crowds

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        I do wish you'd put a sock in it about Leveson, scotty.

You're beginning to look rather foolish.

On second thoughts ...
                        Though it might appear even more foolish and a criminal waste of a possibly 'slave-laboured' Tesco sock, I know exactly where I would wish to put it, without your ever-helpful advice, amsey ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Though it might appear even more foolish and a criminal waste of a possibly 'slave-laboured' Tesco sock, I know exactly where I would wish to put it, without your ever-helpful advice, amsey ...
                          I love it when you talk dirty, scotty
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            I love it when you talk dirty, scotty

Comment

• scottycelt

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                From todays Independent

Olympics organisers have warned businesses that during London 2012 their advertising should not include a list of banned words, including "gold", "silver" and "bronze", "summer", "sponsors" and "London".

suggestions for other words ?

Arse , Elbow, ?

And I guess the Norfolk Turkey business is buggered then ?
                                Between 8.30am and 9am on Sunday, Coe was interviewed on R5L by Jonathan Legard, mainly about G4S. He had clearly brought some sort of rigid script. In less than 15 minutes I believe he used the phrase 'when the rubber hits the road' five times. It was absolutely ludicrous and perhaps the other side of this word selection.

Your point about banned words - and symbols of course for you mustn't bake a cake with the five rings and put it in a window - is though surely the answer to all our economic problems. Let's just sue anyone worldwide who uses a word of English or a Union Jack. Potentially Britain could be even bigger than the Big Mac and Coca Cola.

Comment

Working...
                                X