Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man

Originally posted by flosshilde View Post
    so, having been drafted in to cover for missing g4s security guards, they are now being drafted in to cover for missing corporate ticket holders. how long before they are drafted in to cover for missing athletes?

(actually, i heard somebody at my gym say that we would be certain of winning medals in the paralympics because of all the soldiers who had lost limbs in afghanistan & iraq, & who were all really fit. It's difficult to know where to begin with a statement like that)
    Hobby horse...giddy-up.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      So, having been drafted in to cover for missing G4S security guards, they are now being drafted in to cover for missing corporate ticket holders. How long before they are drafted in to cover for missing athletes?
      Particularly daft, I agree, if the intention is to combat the 'depressing' appearance of empty seats on TV - the combat suits were rather a give-away in the pictures I saw. Nor does it deal with the argument that sports fans who failed to get tickets ought to be able to benefit (as should the services, I have no problem on that level) from 'olympic family and sponsors' being too busy or bored to use their 'comps'.

Coe singularly unconvincing in dealing with it. I've had dealings involving him in the past, but out of regard for frenchie's blood pressure I must remain silent
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I find it odd that while these are supposedly The People's Olympics, the people are not a part of The Olympic Family.

More generally, support for anything now is just so incredibly difficult -

I am for democracy, but not this form of democracy

I am for Britain, but not this form of Britain

I am for the Olympics, but not this form of the Olympics

etc etc.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Did anyone hear the Locog spokeswoman at the press conference on the radio saying how they were dealing with the tickets scandal? I thought she sounded just like Siobhan (except she didn't say 'the thing is, the thing with tickets is, what we do about the tickets is'.... ).

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
            Here we go again. Where is your evidence? Chip on shoulder the size of a forest. Here is one other viable explanation...

"Early indications are that the empty seats are in accredited seating areas, but this is day one, and our end of day review will provide a fuller picture of attendance levels across all our venues."

Accredited = media, in case you didn't know.

And a quick Google reveals that

"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has ruled that a certain number of seats must be reserved for members of the "Olympic family", whose numbers include athletes, team officials, members of federations and others.

'accredited' = 'Olympic Family' members'' which = The VIPs, heads of state, IOC members, athletes, team support staff, some sponsors, and international sports officials.

In case you didn't know

No mention of the media.

Get your facts right.

My facts came from here -

An irreproachable source.

your 'facts' came from ?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
              Hobby horse...giddy-up.
              I can't find a suitable icon for this post. Mute, wide-eyed but intensely ANGRY disbelief is what I'm looking for but I suppose this [SIZE=MAXIMUM] will have to do.
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Did anyone hear the Locog spokeswoman at the press conference on the radio saying how they were dealing with the tickets scandal? I thought she sounded just like Siobhan (except she didn't say 'the thing is, the thing with tickets is, what we do about the tickets is'.... ).
                Tessa "Stupid" Jowell made a genuinely pathetic attempt to justify the ticket nonsense too.
                Daft sod.

Edit, sorry, apparently her full name is Tessa "Stupid and dishonest " Jowell.
                Last edited by teamsaint; 30-07-12, 21:17.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Also, Mrs TS wants to know if the swimming is genuinely drug free, or do the drugs wash out every time they swim, so they don't get caught?
                  I told her not to be so silly.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Northender

Cheer up, for Heaven's sake! We've still won more medals than Ruritania.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Oh - I thought we were Ruritania

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Also, Mrs TS wants to know if the swimming is genuinely drug free, or do the drugs wash out every time they swim, so they don't get caught?
                        I told her not to be so silly.
                        they pee in the pool so we don't know

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                          • Nov 2010

Sad news comes that 'Dress Circle', for decades London's premiere supplier of musical cast recordings, ancient and modern, is to close.

They had been struggling with huge rent increases on their premises in Monmouth Street but thought that the Olympic 'effect' might just see them into another year. Sadly, so 'successful' have efforts been to urge Londoners to make way for the Games that the capitol is, in fact, dead and many business are recording their quietest mid-summer in years.

Comment

• Northender

Similar reports from Weymouth. How, exactly, are the Olympics supposed to boost the economy if people spend less?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

If we get to 750 posts on this thread, Team GB gets a bronze medal. 875 posts is a silver. A thousand gets us a gold.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                                If we get to 750 posts on this thread, Team GB gets a bronze medal. 875 posts is a silver. A thousand gets us a gold.

Team GB - who would that be then - Team Grumpy B*stards?

Comment

Working...
                                X