X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Anyone noticed the brass basnd playing in the Olympic Anthem? That was Grimethorpe Colliery Band!!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      From the Opening Ceremony programme:

I thought that must be some spoof!

After all the hype and meeja build-up I just couldn't bring myself to watch. And after hearing the descriptions on the radio this morning and reading more on here, I'm glad I didn't.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
        No, but you can borrow a calculator....
        The shame of it! It was the middle of the night, but that's not much of as excuse.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

I've enjoyed following this thread and its knock-about fun on this topic. And would not have known about Twenty Twelve but for the posts here .) I've mostly refrained from comment on the Olympics here as I've felt quite curmudgeonly about it. I think I posted earlier that I'm not much interested in sport, so have no interest in the Olympics, although I have no wish to deprive anyone else of whatever pleasure they derive from the spectacle. I also agree with the bulk of Andrew Rawnsley's piece in last Sunday's Observer, the gist of which was that the bid on behalf of London for the Games has been a poisoned chalice (my words) in a time of great financial constraint. The bill for the whole thing is IMV monstrous and even the 'legacy' is dubious.

But I was eventually drawn to watch the opening ceremony live last night. I've nothing to compare it with, as I've never watched one before - no, not even Beijing - but became curious about what Danny Boyle would do.

He's obviously used all his formidable skills in drama and film to create a spectacle that was absorbing, intelligent, provocative, witty and respectful of Olympic traditions, while presenting an intriguing portrait of British history and culture. I was frequently moved. I imagine that he used the huge space to good effect so that those in the stadium always had something interesting nearby to fix their eyes on. The commitment and skills of the volunteers were formidable to behold.

I'm unlikely to watch any other part of the Games; yet thoroughly pleased that I have seen this spectacle. I don't do nationalism as a matter of principle, so I'm not going to wax lyrical about national or any other kind of pride in the spectacle or the achievement. I want to commend it as an extraordinary piece of grand theatre, and I shall keep my very few reservations to myself.

Comment

• pilamenon
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Comments please, scotty (and mangerton) - just had this in from a friend by email (from Hong Kong in fact): "I just loved the whole creative vision - Shakespeare esp Tempest, Blake, Milton, Brunel, the NHS, Poppins, Potter, Beatles, Bowie, Berners-Lee - I found myself wondering what Alex Salmond was thinking, squatting in some little tartan nook of the stadium, necking canapés and plotting to dismantle the union..."

Discuss
            Danny Boyle's film work usually strikes me as triumph of style over substance, but that probably made him a perfect choice for this. I sort of enjoyed it, a real hotchpotch, but undoubtedly technically and visually quite brilliant in many places. The Industrial Revolution transformation scene in particular. But some bits were just empty pop video. The cauldron lift-off was stunning.

Like EA, I was pretty unimpressed by the behaviour of some members of "Team GB", who demeaned themselves by acting up for the cameras like boozed-up Brits in Magaluf, and made a sharp contrast with the dignified enthusiasm of nearly every other nation.
            Last edited by pilamenon; 28-07-12, 12:54.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I've enjoyed following this thread and its knock-about fun on this topic. And would not have known about Twenty Twelve but for the posts here .) I've mostly refrained from comment on the Olympics here as I've felt quite curmudgeonly about it. I think I posted earlier that I'm not much interested in sport, so have no interest in the Olympics, although I have no wish to deprive anyone else of whatever pleasure they derive from the spectacle. I also agree with the bulk of Andrew Rawnsley's piece in last Sunday's Observer, the gist of which was that the bid on behalf of London for the Games has been a poisoned chalice (my words) in a time of great financial constraint. The bill for the whole thing is IMV monstrous and even the 'legacy' is dubious.

But I was eventually drawn to watch the opening ceremony live last night. I've nothing to compare it with, as I've never watched one before - no, not even Beijing - but became curious about what Danny Boyle would do.

He's obviously used all his formidable skills in drama and film to create a spectacle that was absorbing, intelligent, provocative, witty and respectful of Olympic traditions, while presenting an intriguing portrait of British history and culture. I was frequently moved. I imagine that he used the huge space to good effect so that those in the stadium always had something interesting nearby to fix their eyes on. The commitment and skills of the volunteers were formidable to behold.

I'm unlikely to watch any other part of the Games; yet thoroughly pleased that I have seen this spectacle. I don't do nationalism as a matter of principle, so I'm not going to wax lyrical about national or any other kind of pride in the spectacle or the achievement. I want to commend it as an extraordinary piece of grand theatre, and I shall keep my very few reservations to myself.
              Many thanks for this Kerrnel - you've saved me a lot of time & I couldn't have put it better. I started watching in cringe mode & by the end I'd had several moist moments and I was strangely proud

I think the BBC needs some plaudits too, after the justified approbrium that was heaped upon them over the Jubbly outside broadcast. The commentary wasn't too intrusive or banal, which was greatly appreciated

Given that we were in this up to our necks and we had to produce a spectacle, this was £27m well spent and it sets down a marker for a whole generation, I'd say

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Many thanks for this Kerrnel - you've saved me a lot of time & I couldn't have put it better.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                  It is also true that there were quite a few Englishmen who rallied to the Jacobite cause,
                  One of my ancestors was one of them.

Returning to the ceremony, it was been criticised for bening too British. Some of it was appropriately British, but the glitz was all American, in the worst sense.

Comment

• Anna

I've been out this morning and the talk on the bus and in Waitrose was all about the ceremony. All seemed to agree it was breathtakingly bonkers and very British. Highlights being the amazing cauldron, the symbolic doves on bikes, the Industrial Revolution, the forging of the rings, James Bond and the general technical artistry. A quick survey revealed low spots were Paul McCartney, Rowan Atkinson, Dizzie Rascal, Team GB's tracksuits and their behaviour. Some concern also about how much would be incomprehensible to foreign viewers but overall the Welsh audience here judged it a resounding success plus Doreen Lawrence carrying the Olympic flag.
                    Edit: In fact it was thought McCartney was more than a low point - everyone said he spoilt it and brought a sudden flatness and embarrassment to the proceedings.
                    Last edited by Guest; 28-07-12, 11:20.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Except that the cretinous GB team were such a crass embarrassment that I'm no longer proud to be one of them. They acted like a bunch of Year 9s on the rampage after school exams.
                      Oh, come on, EA. Were you never young? Enthusiastic? Joyous? Full of life? These guys and girls had it in spades.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        I've been out this morning and the talk on the bus and in Waitrose was all about the ceremony. All seemed to agree it was breathtakingly bonkers and very British. Highlights being the amazing cauldron, the symbolic doves on bikes, the Industrial Revolution, the forging of the rings, James Bond and the general technical artistry. A quick survey revealed low spots were Paul McCartney, Rowan Atkinson, Dizzie Rascal, Team GB's tracksuits and their behaviour. Some concern also about how much would be incomprehensible to foreign viewers but overall the Welsh audience here judged it a resounding success.
                        Edit: In fact it was thought McCartney was more than a low point - everyone said he spoilt it and brought a sudden flatness and embarrassment to the proceedings.
                        Agree with all of the above but liked Rowan Atkinson.

Stella McCartney must be cringing because most people think that she designed those naff tracksuits when, in fact, they were designed by Next. SMc did the outfits they wear when competing.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Many thanks for this Kerrnel - you've saved me a lot of time & I couldn't have put it better. I started watching in cringe mode & by the end I'd had several moist moments and I was strangely proud

I think the BBC needs some plaudits too, after the justified approbrium that was heaped upon them over the Jubbly outside broadcast. The commentary wasn't too intrusive or banal, which was greatly appreciated

Given that we were in this up to our necks and we had to produce a spectacle, this was £27m well spent and it sets down a marker for a whole generation, I'd say
                          +1

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                            Oh, come on, EA. Were you never young? Enthusiastic? Joyous? Full of life? These guys and girls had it in spades.
                            Being joyous and enthusiastic is fine. But you don't have to be a crass exhibitionist to express this. Te rest of the world showed them up.

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

So far I've only seen up to the Queen and the 'coptor. Was it a look alike of HM, genuine Buckingham Palace and corgies though?

Style over substance yes, but I shall continue with it later, a one off, if nothing else. And strangely moving.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                                Stella McCartney must be cringing because most people think that she designed those naff tracksuits when, in fact, they were designed by Next. SMc did the outfits they wear when competing.
                                Ah! I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                                X