X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Fracking

The link below comes courtesy of Annette Peacock.

Evidently a debate and campaign of opposition to fracking are well underway in the States. This means of gas extraction is being strongly advocated in the UK, with apparently no stated opposition in mainstream political circles, the press, etc.

The documentary presents a strong case without the over-egging that seems de rigueur in dealing with such issues in the States, but I thought it worth reproducing here, in the hope of stimulating some debate.

An emergency short film from Josh Fox, the Oscar-nominated director of GASLAND addressing the urgent crisis of drilling and fracking in New York state. Go to…
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

I thought there was opposition to this practice, particularly by people living near Blackpool - see for example this - http://www.fixmystreet.com/report/205240

Comment

• Anna

We are well aware of fracking in Wales.
      More than half of the Welsh population could be affected by shale gas drilling in the future if proposed licence areas were granted, a government report has revealed.

A green group labelled the situation a recipe to “fry the earth” and to blow Wales’ climate change commitments “out of the water”.

A map of areas for onshore drilling licences already granted – in a 2011 report into Britain’s onshore basins for shale gas produced by the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC) – include Wrexham, Swansea, much of the counties of Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend, and parts of Newport.

And Friends of the Earth Cymru said that sites being considered for licences in the next round (the “14th round”) include swathes of North and Mid Wales, including the whole of Flintshire and Wrexham, parts of Powys, all of Monmouthshire and Newport and the entire South Wales Valleys and coast, including Cardiff, as far west as Llanelli
      (from Western Mail)
      Also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-17738184

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        We are well aware of fracking in Wales.
        More than half of the Welsh population could be affected by shale gas drilling in the future if proposed licence areas were granted, a government report has revealed.

A green group labelled the situation a recipe to “fry the earth” and to blow Wales’ climate change commitments “out of the water”.

A map of areas for onshore drilling licences already granted – in a 2011 report into Britain’s onshore basins for shale gas produced by the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC) – include Wrexham, Swansea, much of the counties of Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend, and parts of Newport.

And Friends of the Earth Cymru said that sites being considered for licences in the next round (the “14th round”) include swathes of North and Mid Wales, including the whole of Flintshire and Wrexham, parts of Powys, all of Monmouthshire and Newport and the entire South Wales Valleys and coast, including Cardiff, as far west as Llanelli
        (from Western Mail)
        Also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-17738184
        Oh that's a shame now, isn't it?

North Walians are more used to being cut out of the action when anything new is proposed

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Good to see this raised again. I tried to highlight it in my now legendary ( not really!) Blackpool and Fukushima thread, but nuclear took over.

Another bonkers way of boiling kettles. Blow everything up, posion the groundwater, and hope the earthquakes aren't too bad.

Is this going to be happening in Surrey, for instance?
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Good to see this raised again. I tried to highlight it in my now legendary ( not really!) Blackpool and Fukushima thread, but nuclear took over.

Another bonkers way of boiling kettles. Blow everything up, posion the groundwater, and hope the earthquakes aren't too bad.

Is this going to be happening in Surrey, for instance?
            There was some campaigning against small-scale oil extraction (not fracking) in the vicinity of Reigate a few years ago, iirc, which was successfully resisted with the retired generals came out brandishing their shooting sticks, a few years ago.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              There was some campaigning against small-scale oil extraction (not fracking) in the vicinity of Reigate a few years ago, iirc, which was successfully resisted with the retired generals came out brandishing their shooting sticks, a few years ago.
              would that have been after "stumps", and fortified by a decent sherry ?!
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                would that have been after "stumps", and fortified by a decent sherry ?!
                Shouldn't think so, old boy. Wouldn't be cricket

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

IMO, Fracking should stop. Quite simply it is unsafe!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

very unlikely to stop i think whatever the merits .....

Monbiot on shale oil
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Somnething will happen soon enough. I mean look at Blackpool etc.....
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                      X