Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ariosto

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    For the best part of 1969, I deputised in the vacant principal horn position whilst the CBSO management awaited the availabilty of Louis Fremaux to hold auditions for a permanant replacement for the departing Tim Reynish, who took the conducting trail.
    By 1969 I had long since gone from the CBSO to a better sort of suffering. I knew Tim Reynish of course and have worked with him and I've met him again in recent years.
    Guest conductors at that time included Maurice Handford, Sergiu Commissiona, Edgar Cosma and Miklos Erdelyi (father of Ariosto's bête noire, the viola player Caspar Erdelyi).
    I knew Handford at the RAM and then in the CBSO and later in BBC bands. I never knew that Chaba Erdlelyi had a conducting father. Very good player but - well, I won't go on ...[/QUOTE]

By this time of course a lot of members - as I've said - left for the LSO. And others like me cleared off to other bands.
    The morale of the orchestra at that time was pretty low. My impression was that, with some notable exceptions, some of the rank and file would have been just as happy earning a living down the road in British Motor Corporation's factory at Longbridge and were dreading the arrival of the hitherto unknown (to them) Louis Fremaux. The subsequent replacement of Fremaux by the young and enthusiastic Simon Rattle was a breath of fresh air and the orchestra's standard (and standing) increased by leaps and bounds to become the excellent outfit that it is today - having got rid of the dross, which I have to say, by that time included Hugo Rignold.
    I personally did not find Rignold that bad at all, and I think the players would not take kindly to that sort of write off, HS. I also find it hard to agree that the orchestra is that good these days, and I find their present MD leaves a LOT to be desired, personally speaking.

You seem pleased to write off many of your contemporaries - and I wonder why you take such pleasure in doing so?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-07-12, 07:59.

Comment

• Ariosto

By 1969 I had long since gone from the CBSO to a better sort of suffering. I knew Tim Reynish of course and have worked with him and I've met him again in recent years.

I knew Handford at the RAM and then in the CBSO and later in BBC bands. I never knew that Chaba Erdlelyi had a conducting father. Very good player but - well, I won't go on ...

By this time of course a lot of members - as I've said - left for the LSO. And others like me cleared off to other bands.

I personally did not find Rignold that bad at all, and I think the players would not take kindly to that sort of write off, HS. I also find it hard to agree that the orchestra is that good these days, and I find their present MD leaves a LOT to be desired, personally speaking.

HS, you seem pleased to write off many of your contemporaries - and I wonder why you take such pleasure in doing so?

Sorry, don't know why this post repeated my remarks again!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post

HS, you seem pleased to write off many of your contemporaries - and I wonder why you take such pleasure in doing so?
        We all have our own reactions to what we see and hear and, as only "a ship passing in the night" I would like to think that my assessment of the CBSO at that time is fair and objective - but I do not name names.

I take no pleasure in writing off my contemporaries and I deeply resent that implication; coming as it does from one who appears to have had nothing but contempt for the profession which provided his living for many years.

HS

Comment

• Ariosto

We all have our own reactions to what we see and hear and, as only "a ship passing in the night" I would like to think that my assessment of the CBSO at that time is fair and objective - but I do not name names.

I take no pleasure in writing off my contemporaries and I deeply resent that implication; coming as it does from one who appears to have had nothing but contempt for the profession which provided his living for many years.

HS
          I just knew that my post would draw such a responsefrom you HS!! I've obviously touched a raw nerve. I think that "coming as it does from one who appears to have had nothing but contempt for the profession which provided his living for many years" is another figment of your over-ripe imagination, as I've never seriously criticised my colleages other than occasionally maybe in jest. I do state that orchestral playing was not my ideal way of making a living although I had some great times. My stance on some conductors is well known and it gets boring when you continually refer to this, or the odd player (such as CE) who I only knew in a non orchestral situation and have certain views about. Views that are also held by many colleages too.

You really need to give it a rest at your age and sit back and enjoy life. (Keep calm and have low blood pressure).

P S I hope to listen to the concert you reccommend on SKY 2 today and I will let you know if I agree with your opinion about it.

Cheers - - Ariosto!! (OR bigjammy OR Cellini as you like to constantly remind people).

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Err hello Cellini

Didn't Hugo Rignold have some connection with the Royal Liverpool Phil, back in the 1950s/60s either as leader in their Sargent days or asa comductor. Sure I remember some connection.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              Err hello Cellini

Didn't Hugo Rignold have some connection with the Royal Liverpool Phil, back in the 1950s/60s either as leader in their Sargent days or asa comductor. Sure I remember some connection.
              Yes, you are quite right Saly. Rignold was conductor there before he came to the CBSO. The CBSO principal clarinet John Feust also came down from there I believe. I also knew John's son David who was a fine clarinettist too, in later years.

I became aware of really good wine thanks to HR as he gave the orchestra a small bottle each one Xmas and I realised there was better plonk to be had. Rignold also owned a Jenson sports car and was apparently a fast driver. He also had some unusual ideas about string playing, but nevertheless interesting ones, even if not always appreciated by colleages. I suppose I am a little biassed as he always seemed to like my playing. HS likes to write off HR - but unfortunately I never got Rignold's opinion about HS's horn playing!!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                • Nov 2010

From Wikipedia:
                (Rignold) directed the Liverpool Philharmonic (not then 'Royal') in the 1940s and 1950s, succeeding the popular Malcolm Sargent.[3] A "period of unrest and strife" accompanied the beginning of Rignold's reign in Liverpool: Rignold replaced many older players in the orchestra, and some of the audience were unimpressed by his career in popular music.[6]

In the 1949/1950 season with the Liverpool Philharmonic, Rignold conducted 34 concerts, with guest conductors, including Sargent, Rafael Kubelik, Zoltán Kodály, Sir Adrian Boult and Sir Thomas Beecham conducting a total of 19 other concerts. Rignold's programming there maintained a balance between presenting accepted modern and classical works and premiering new works, including Prokofiev’s suite from Cinderella and works by Martinů, E. J. Moeran and Gordon Jacob
                Hmmm... 'directed' ... I don't like the casual use of this word.
                One 'directs' from an instrument (violin, piano, harpsichord etc). But when using one's hands, not playing an instrument, with or without a baton - one is CONDUCTING.
                Just as silly is the Americanism e.g. 'Michael Tilson Thomas leads the San Francisco Symphony'.
                Thomas is a fine pianist but not a violinist as far as I am aware.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                  From Wikipedia:

Hmmm... 'directed' ... I don't like the casual use of this word.
                  One 'directs' from an instrument (violin, piano, harpsichord etc). But when using one's hands, not playing an instrument, with or without a baton - one is CONDUCTING.
                  Just as silly is the Americanism e.g. 'Michael Tilson Thomas leads the San Francisco Symphony'.
                  Thomas is a fine pianist but not a violinist as far as I am aware.
                  Yes, I see it that way too, Waldhorn. I was tempted to add some things to the Wikipedia page about Rignold, but it required registration so I decided against. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who can add more interesting data than me anyway, as I'm told I have such a low opinion of the profession ...

Comment

• Ariosto

HS
                    HS - your quote ----
                    "My impression was that, with some notable exceptions, some of the rank and file would have been just as happy earning a living down the road in British Motor Corporation's factory at Longbridge and were dreading the arrival of the hitherto unknown (to them) Louis Fremaux. The subsequent replacement of Fremaux by the young and enthusiastic Simon Rattle was a breath of fresh air and the orchestra's standard (and standing) increased by leaps and bounds to become the excellent outfit that it is today - having got rid of the dross, which I have to say, by that time included Hugo Rignold."

Your quote does not entirely square with you comment above ... slip of the tongue? We may forgive you

Comment

Working...
                    X