X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    JS: thanks for this recommendation - henceforth I shall seek out more pub drunks
    Yes - I wasn't acquainted with this piece before JS kindly posted the link. Can't say I find anything more banal than can be found throughout this particular composer's music. The opening phrase resembles a famous Irish tune, the title and lyrics of which escape me.

For sheer banality, I would nominate Howard Skempton's "Lento" for especial dislike - my condemnation last year, got me into considerable trouble with one other boardee.

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      For sheer banality, I would nominate Howard Skempton's "Lento" for especial dislike

"First performed in 1991, Lento is a timeless piece, both an intensely personal continuation of the English pastoral tradition and a far more convincing assertion of the continuing expressive power of tonal music than anything in Pärt's world of faux-religiosity."

Andrew Clements, The Guardian

(from NMC's website)

"First performed in 1991, Lento is a timeless piece ...."

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post

"First performed in 1991, Lento is a timeless piece, both an intensely personal continuation of the English pastoral tradition and a far more convincing assertion of the continuing expressive power of tonal music than anything in Pärt's world of faux-religiosity."

Andrew Clements, The Guardian

(from NMC's website)

"First performed in 1991, Lento is a timeless piece ...."
        Leaving aside the by no means atypically gratuitous sideways swipe at Pärt (not that much of the Estonian's music does anything for me, as it happens, but that's hardly the point here), the fact that Mr Clements' assessment contains but a single adverb is what stood out most when I read it; anyway, I suppose that it is gratifying (for me, at any rate) to discuver that even Mr Clements appears to have some belief (at least for the duration of this review) in "the continuing expressive power of tonal music", even if examples of it that he might deem worth of the epithet would have to fit cleanly within the closeted confines of Clementine categorisation...

Once upon a time, I imagine that Oliver Knussen might have nominated Bartók's Concerto for Orchestra in a thread such as this, given his nickname for it of An Old Person's Guide to the Orchestra, but I hasten to add that I would not have agreed with him then any more than would endorse such a sentiment now (notwithstanding his immense gifts as a conductor).

Comment

• Northender

I always find concertos for the left hand alone rather sinister.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            cleanly within the closeted confines of Clementine categorisation...
            And definitely not lost and gone forever, it seems...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

What ruins pieces like Mozart's EKN for me is when they are played too much and then turn up on the 'phone when one is holding on for ages. And usually the same few bars repeated....

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

And definitely not lost and gone forever, it seems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCSTMWix3g
                Er, no, Mr Clements is not that, for sure...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Er, no, Mr Clements is not that, for sure...

I was thinking more in terms of his apparent belief that he holds the, er, key.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
                    That's the problem with these threads, it's not great when someone says something horrible about music you love - and it only sounds like that if you listen to it like that . I rented a couple of rooms from an elderly couple in a Central European city once and they listened to it so many times in the evenings I began to dream it! It's not really Dvořák's fault.
                    well its made me listen to it again , perhaps with more critical ears..but I still think its a fine piece.

As for tunes endlessly played by neighbours..........my house mate at university wore the stylus out on "Souvenir " by OMD.......and we had a holiday in Spain accompanied by a "literally" endless loop of the 12" version of La dolce Vita by Ryan Paris. Fortunately its rubbish anyway, and we could spend most of the time outside soaking up the sun and vino !
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                      What ruins pieces like Mozart's EKN for me is when they are played too much and then turn up on the 'phone when one is holding on for ages. And usually the same few bars repeated....
                      My job involves a great deal of telephone work and I get EKN very, very often. However, I still like the piece and, indeed, played the Bruno Walter/Columbia SO recording only the other night.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        My job involves a great deal of telephone work and I get EKN very, very often. However, I still like the piece and, indeed, played the Bruno Walter/Columbia SO recording only the other night.
                        I like it too Petrushka - that's why I wish 'they' wouldn't do that to it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

I like it too Petrushka - that's why I wish 'they' wouldn't do that to it.
                          The tune that converts worst to a telephone "Holding" jingle is "Love me tender". Just wait till it gets to the repeated high note.............I expect Petrushka has had the pleasure...........
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

I bet that would be right up MrGG's street!

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

I bet that would be right up MrGG's street!
                              he probably produced it.
                              maybe a dub version too.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                he probably produced it.
                                maybe a dub version too.
                                I would go for an extreme timestretch version but not the jingly nonsense
                                Howard Skempton is a delightful man and I wouldnt have a word said against him

On the other hand

The Dream of G******** is an abomination

Comment

Working...
                                X