X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Personaly I would cut half the length off almost anything by Bruckner, but I'm quite aware that that is considered sacrilege around here.
    Crikey Saly you're brave.

Sibel.........no I'm not that brave.

RVW Romance for Harmonica (was he 'avin' a laff ?).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      He wasn't "shouting", what he wrote did not "dislodge" anything of the kind (as you may now note and which is in any case hardly surprising as there was none such "lodged" anywhere in the first place), I would likewise not "dislodge" any piece - "previously-lost" or otherwise - here and I've never heard the works of Ravel, Debussy and Chacksfield "combined", "preferably" or otherwise (which is almost certainly just as well for all three of their sakes - and woe ebbetide anyone who has). Apart from those minor aberrations, you're not doing too badly!...
      Looks like you're the dislodger, Ammy! I make that first sentence 7 lines, but I do have the screen on large font at the mo!

Seriously, it's interesting what you say about the G major, ah. I love it, in the right hands (not necessarily Ms Argerich's)

What do you think of the Left-Hand one?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        No, even he can't make that piece work for me as much more than an irritating disctraction from what Ravel could really do on a good day!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Looks like you're the dislodger, Ammy! I make that first sentence 7 lines, but I do have the screen on large font at the mo!

Seriously, it's interesting what you say about the G major, ah. I love it, in the right hands (not necessarily Ms Argerich's)

What do you think of the Left-Hand one?
          I think that it's marvellous! I'd want to play it if I were a pianist!

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Dvořák's Piano Quintet no. 2 is the most irritating piece of music in the history of the universe. The opening of the 1st movement sound like a drunk in a pub telling you his life story (it's always a he) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpbLW8VowZM. After that it's downhill all the way.

Both Ravel piano concertos are superb. IMEHO.

Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)Piano concerto in G Major (1929 -1931)Zoltan Kocsis, PianoIvan Fischer, ConductorBudapest Festival Orchestra

Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)Piano concerto in G Major (1929--1931)Zoltan Kocsis, PianoIvan Fischer, ConductorBudapest Festival Orchestra

Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)Piano concerto in G Major (1929 -1931)Zoltan Kocsis, PianoIvan Fischer, ConductorBudapest Festival Orchestra

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Mendelssohn 12 [?] string symphonies. My boss sent me to the BL to get the, I think, Barenreiter editions of these.

It's along time ago but we published a slightly new edition which never took off. As someone said, he could do somuch more, even at an early age

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                Crikey Saly you're brave.

Sibel.........no I'm not that brave.

RVW Romance for Harmonica (was he 'avin' a laff ?).

RVW was letting his hair down when he wrote that for Larry Adler, a great harmonica player. I still don't like the instrument much though.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  I think that it's marvellous! I'd want to play it if I were a pianist!
                  I love 'em both, depends on the mood. I think I detect the left-hand nudging ahead in my affections over the years.

Very ying-yang when it comes to performance - rare to get performers who are equally good at both. My list of favourite readings of one has no overlap with my list for the other.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=JohnSkelton;179045]Dvořák's Piano Quintet no. 2 is the most irritating piece of music in the history of the universe. The opening of the 1st movement sound like a drunk in a pub telling you his life story (it's always a he) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpbLW8VowZM. After that it's downhill all the way.

Both Ravel piano concertos are superb. IMEHO.

re

Reading that about the Dvorak has mad me feel just a little bit sad. (although I can see what you mean about the opening).
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                      I don't agree with you on this one, HS!
                      I'm sure Mozart himself would have approved of this charming, delightful work.
                      But the thing is, Waldhorn, that it isn't typical Tchaikowsky and it does not compare with his other three suites in style.

Maybe WAM might indeed wish that he himself had written it - it is certainly a charming work.

I would say the same about Max Reger's "Variations and Fugue on a Theme of (a)Bach, (b) Mozart, or (c)Beethoven

Some very clever orchestration, but the Provenance is suspect.

HS*

*from another post, I'm so pleased that someone else has as little affection for Eine Kleine Nachtsmusic as I have.

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Reading that about the Dvorak has mad me feel just a little bit sad. (although I can see what you mean about the opening).
                        That's the problem with these threads, it's not great when someone says something horrible about music you love - and it only sounds like that if you listen to it like that . I rented a couple of rooms from an elderly couple in a Central European city once and they listened to it so many times in the evenings I began to dream it! It's not really Dvořák's fault.

Comment

• aeolium
                          • Nov 2010

I'm not sure it's quite fair to pick out works that have suffered from overexposure (like Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, which I don't mind hearing once a year or so). The real test is to find rarely-played works by composers most of whose music you admire. Rather than EKN for Mozart, I'd go for the late German Dances, of which he commented that his payment was 'too much for what I did, too little for what I could have done'. And Haydn's baryton trios, any of them (at least the few I've heard broadcast) - not his fault perhaps, having to please a baryton-playing patron but what a loss of the quartets or symphonies he could have written. And Mahler's piano quartet movement - I'm always sorry to see that on any chamber music programme.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            RVW was letting his hair down when he wrote that for Larry Adler, a great harmonica player. I still don't like the instrument much though.
                            Nor me.
                            It's the only piece by the great man that I can't abide.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
                              Dvořák's Piano Quintet no. 2 is the most irritating piece of music in the history of the universe
                              ...but not the history of struggle in a composition class, presumably...

Seriously, the piece doesn't do a lot for me either, but I'd hardly classify it as its composer's Room 101...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
                                Dvořák's Piano Quintet no. 2 is the most irritating piece of music in the history of the universe. The opening of the 1st movement sound like a drunk in a pub telling you his life story (it's always a he)
                                JS: thanks for this recommendation - henceforth I shall seek out more pub drunks
                                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                                X