X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

UN requests happiness on 20 March

I see that yesterday the United Nations decided that 20 March should be the "International Day of Happiness".

How, I wonder, will you respond to this injunction?

The United Nations requests and requires that all be happy...

[from AFP] "The United Nations on Thursday declared that March 20 each year will be the International Day of Happiness -- and it wants everyone to join in the fun.
    The UN General Assembly passed a resolution proclaiming the new commemoration that adds to an already packed UN calendar of international days -- from world poetry day to world migratory bird day.
    "The pursuit of happiness is a fundamental human goal," said the resolution which was passed by consensus in the 193-member assembly.
    The resolution calls on all member states "to observer the International Day of Happiness in an appropriate manner, including through education and public awareness activities."
    Securing happiness day was part of a diplomatic campaign by the Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan which already has its own gross national happiness index.
    Many governments now say that new elements, including happiness, must be included in ways of measuring prosperity which are now dominated by economic indicators."
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Have you been at the Fernet Branca, vinchaud, or is that entirely serious?

Brought a smile to my face on a busy afternoon anyway...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Happiness on March 20th? Typical - they announce it more than three months too late. Bah, humbug!

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        is that entirely serious?
        :
        ... 'fraid so -

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          I can't see the bit about us all having to go out and join in the fun

"The UN was formed and intended to be a peace keeping guardian, the objectives adopted in the UN such as peace, respect for human rights, eradication of poverty, sustainable development and millennium development goals, are all for one objective, which is the happiness for all of the people of humanity."
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Wait in unwarranted optimism until nearer the time?

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

It's a Wednesday so expect to be in the office - not much chance of happiness there.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
              X