Wimbledon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

76 Years of Hurt but Could This Be the Day of Reckoning?

It's Coming Home, It's Coming Home, Wimbledon's Coming Home.............

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

The Wombles are cheering him on......

Comment

• scottycelt

The inimitable Sue Barker, just a few moments ago:

'The First Minister of Scotland, Sir Alex Ferguson, has just been spotted here ... '

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Now ye know David Beckham ye know "it'll be ye know great for our country ye know".

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            The Wombles are cheering him on......
            All twenty-six Bishops from the House of Lords?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              The inimitable Sue Barker, just a few moments ago:

'The First Minister of Scotland, Sir Alex Ferguson, has just been spotted here ... '

She was probably distracted by the sight of Sir Clifford warming up.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

I'm a bit slow on the uptake
                is Lendl Murray's coach? he's looking very inscrutable, if that's the word I want.
                Federer is making Murray do all the running around

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  I'm a bit slow on the uptake
                  is Lendl Murray's coach? he's looking very inscrutable, if that's the word I want.
                  Yes.

Comment

• Anna

I'm listening on radio, I don't understand tennis and the scoring. I have no idea of the difference between Love and Deuce for example. I guess the first is better than the second. But, it seems an exciting game according to the commentators. I might turn the tv on later but, I think, Murray is doing well at the mo and if he is, good for him!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      I'm listening on radio, I don't understand tennis and the scoring. I have no idea of the difference between Love and Deuce for example. I guess the first is better than the second. But, it seems an exciting game according to the commentators. I might turn the tv on later but, I think, Murray is doing well at the mo and if he is, good for him!

The scoring for each player in each game goes from

Love = 0

to

then

then

then: win the game.

So when one player has won points in a game but the other none, it will be 15-love, 30-love, 40-love (if the server is winning the points) or love-15, love-30, love-40 (if the non-server is winning)

However if both players get to 40 each, that's called Deuce. To win the game, one player then has to get two consecutive points - the first called Advantage, the second secures the win.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

I have no idea of the difference between Love and Deuce for example.
                        According to the Uxbridge English Dictionary, "Love" is a no-score (some sources suggesting an origin in the French word "oeuf" [="egg"] on the spurious grounds that a Zero is egg-shaped).

"Deuce", on the other hand, is what the players drink between sets.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          According to the Uxbridge English Dictionary, "Love" is a no-score (some sources suggesting an origin in the French word "oeuf" [="egg"] on the spurious grounds that a Zero is egg-shaped).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Don't confuse matters...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

I have no idea of the difference between Love and Deuce
                              Unfortunately this is unlikely to be about passion , but Wiki tells us:

<< The origins of the 15, 30, and 40 scores are believed to be medieval French. It is possible that a clock face was used on court, with a quarter move of the hand to indicate a score of 15, 30, and 45. When the hand moved to 60, the game was over. However, in order to ensure that the game could not be won by a one-point difference in players' scores, the idea of "deuce" was introduced. To make the score stay within the "60" ticks on the clock face, the 45 was changed to 40. Therefore, if both players have 40, the first player to score receives ten and that moves the clock to 50. If the player scores a second time before the opponent is able to score, they are awarded another ten and the clock moves to 60. The 60 signifies the end of the game. However, if a player fails to score twice in a row, then the clock would move back to 40 to establish another "deuce".

The origin of the use of "love" for zero is also disputed. It is possible that it derives from the French expression for "the egg" (l'œuf) because an egg looks like the number zero. This is similar to the origin of the term "duck" in Cricket supposedly from "Duck's egg" referring to a Batsman who has been called out without completing a run. "Love" is also said to derive from l'heure "the hour" in French. A third possibility comes from the Dutch expression iets voor lof doen, which means to do something for praise, implying no monetary stakes. Another theory on the origins of the use of "Love" comes from the acceptance that, at the start of any match, when scores are at zero, players still have "Love for each other." >>

You are right, it's an exciting game. You can watch it online if you want on the BBC sports site.

But why do we have to have repeated close-ups of players' WAGs or of well-know people who happen to be there? Celebrity culture!!!

What the deuce? Just noticed I have been pipped by ferney and Calibs!
                              Last edited by Flay; 08-07-12, 15:52. Reason: Grammer
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                                What the deuce? Just noticed I have been pipped by ferney and Calibs!
                                Story of your life Duckie!! But, respect your Elders and Betters!

Sorry: Play suspended due to rain? Hello? They have a roof don't they? Seems a total nonsense to me not to have it closed when forecast is iffy.
                                Last edited by Guest; 08-07-12, 16:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X