• Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

I think Roger Taylor's playing days may be over

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      Of course I'm right! If Murray wins I will spend the 2012/13 season wearing an Arsenal hat!
      No, that's too much to expect. Just wear it for your new profile picture and keep it on the forum until May.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-07-12, 20:03. Reason: They got him on milk and alcohol

Comment

• scottycelt

Many congratulations to the posh laddie from Dunblane ... what a marvellous achievement when one considers no other Briton has reached that point since before WW2 ... I think getting the emotionless Ivan Lendl staring unblinkingly at him during a match was his best move ever ... I mean would any self-respecting tennis player dare swear at that guy?

Federer must be hot favourite as the bookies' odds indicate ... but Murray can beat anyone on his day, and has the edge in matches played between the two ... so just go for it, young man!

For Scotland and St Andrew!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          No, that's too much to expect. Just wear it for your new profile picture and keep it on the forum until May.
          It's a deal!

Are there any blogsters out there who will demonstrate a similar confidence in Murray?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

That Tsonga/Murray match was the first I have watched straight through this year. A very impressive and sporty game I thought. I will be working tomorrow and Sunday so will miss Murray's victory in the final.

Hmm, St Andrew eh? Isn't it on his day that they play the big Eton Wall Game each year?

Comment

• Mary Chambers
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              Many congratulations to the posh laddie from Dunblane ...
              Posh??! Please explain!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                Posh??! Please explain!
                Well, when one speaks with a recognisably 'plummy' Stirlingshire accent, and is now a billionaire to boot, one might not think that description requires particular explanation, Mary ...

Not all 'posh' folk in the world have to speak with toffee-nosed English accents as many of the English themselves seem to rather quaintly believe.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-07-12, 20:43. Reason: Geographical typo ..

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                  It's a deal!

Are there any blogsters out there who will demonstrate a similar confidence in Murray?
                  Not me. On balance, Federer. Agree with scottycelt on Lendl. After all these years, he remains extraordinary and bizarre. I thought the bloke alongside him was the one from Right Said Fred. Apparently not so according to our paper of the week, the Daily Mail -

They are known as Team Murray and include everyone from fitness coaches to website managers and though their ranks have swelled past football proportions, they are still searching for that first Grand Slam win.

I was going to ask the same question as Mary Chambers. Why posh? I would also be interested to know if scottycelt can advise when the last time anyone from Scotland got to the final. Now that would be history.

Perhaps we expect too much of our winners.

Bill Tilden called Fred Perry "the world's worst good player" and many thought Perry was obnoxious. Whenever an opponent would make an especially good shot, he would cry out 'very clevah.' Sarcastic or what? According to Jack Kramer, Perry was "an opportunist, a selfish and egotistical person, and he never gave a damn about professional tennis. He was through as a player the instant he turned pro. He was a great champion, and he could have helped tennis, but it wasn't in his interest so he didn't bother."

Henry "Bunny" Austin was more likeable. However, he was an early celeb who married an actress and became a friend of Charlie Chaplin, Daphne du Maurier and Ronald Colman. He also managed to get himself banned from the All England Club for 40 years by being both a conscientious objector and very involved with a Christian group which inadvertently had ties with the fascists.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-07-12, 21:25.

Comment

• scottycelt

I was going to ask the same question as Mary Chambers. Why posh?
                    He sounds damn posh to me... but then I was only a poor wretch, born and somewhat unsuccessfully brought up in Glesca', y'see ..

I would also be interested to know if scottycelt can advise when the last time anyone from Scotland got to the final. Now that would be history.
                    Today, Lateralthinking ...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

scotty - oh ok - - I find it more difficult to tell class differences north of the Watford Gap.

Comment

• scottycelt

scotty - oh ok - - I find it more difficult to tell class differences north of the Watford Gap.
                        I understand, Lat ... but it's not really a question of class or accent in Scotland, it's more about plain old filthy lucre!

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

I understand, Lat ... but it's not really a question of class or accent in Scotland, it's more about plain old filthy lucre!
                          Oh I don't know, scotty. What about Kelvinside and Morningside where they think sex is what they deliver coal in?

Fur coat and nae knickers!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                            • Nov 2010

Well, when one speaks with a recognisably 'plummy' Stirlingshire accent, and is now a billionaire to boot, one might not think that description requires particular explanation, Mary ...

Not all 'posh' folk in the world have to speak with toffee-nosed English accents as many of the English themselves seem to rather quaintly believe.
                            I see. I can't recognise 'posh' Scottish accents outside Edinburgh or Glasgow, where I can detect differences. I'd expect a rather pleasanter manner from someone 'posh', a bit of Tim Nice-But-Dim (that was a Harry Enfield character, nothing to do with Henman......although......!) The billionaire bit doesn't come into it as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Not me. On balance, Federer. Agree with scottycelt on Lendl. After all these years, he remains extraordinary and bizarre. I thought the bloke alongside him was the one from Right Said Fred. Apparently not so according to our paper of the week, the Daily Mail -

They are known as Team Murray and include everyone from fitness coaches to website managers and though their ranks have swelled past football proportions, they are still searching for that first Grand Slam win.

I was going to ask the same question as Mary Chambers. Why posh? I would also be interested to know if scottycelt can advise when the last time anyone from Scotland got to the final. Now that would be history.

Perhaps we expect too much of our winners.

Bill Tilden called Fred Perry "the world's worst good player" and many thought Perry was obnoxious. Whenever an opponent would make an especially good shot, he would cry out 'very clevah.' Sarcastic or what? According to Jack Kramer, Perry was "an opportunist, a selfish and egotistical person, and he never gave a damn about professional tennis. He was through as a player the instant he turned pro. He was a great champion, and he could have helped tennis, but it wasn't in his interest so he didn't bother."

Henry "Bunny" Austin was more likeable. However, he was an early celeb who married an actress and became a friend of Charlie Chaplin, Daphne du Maurier and Ronald Colman. He also managed to get himself banned from the All England Club for 40 years by being both a conscientious objector and very involved with a Christian group which inadvertently had ties with the fascists.
                              Given that I am the only one going out on a limb, I will limit the photo & gooner hat to two months!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yes and initially there was a big difference there between Perry (ordinary) and Austin (posh). With a little further reading, I realise I have done Austin a bit of injustice. I want to set the record straight because it is an interesting if rather tragic story and he ended up being local to me. He died in 2000 at the age of 94 in a nursing home just over one mile away from where I live.

His ban from Wimbledon from the early 1940s to 1984 was very widely believed to be for the reasons I outlined in post 143. That was the public view for all of that period. However, in truth he had an illness which meant that he failed the British army medical twice. He then went to the US to preach the gospel but he was actually signed up to the US Air Force from 1943 to 1945.

On returning to Britain in 1961, he tried to enter Wimbledon as a member to watch the tennis. Although having been a finalist in 1932 and 1938, he was refused entry to the grounds. Privately he was told that it was because he hadn't paid the fee. So he immediately applied with money and then reapplied every year for 23 years. On 22 of those years he was turned down.

Obviously the public view of him as a traitor was reinforced. Here he was seen as a fascist. In America in the 1950s, he had been depicted as a Communist. Actually, he was neither of those things. The reason for his failed application from 1961 to 1983 was that one member of the Wimbledon committee always voted against. That person had a grudge, having been dropped from Austin's Cambridge University team. When he died in 1984, it was the first time Austin, then aged 77, got in without having to queue up.
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-07-12, 23:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X