Late night stories from Izzard, Blessed and Fry at the Criterion THeatre 10.8.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Late night stories from Izzard, Blessed and Fry at the Criterion THeatre 10.8.12

Some high class storytelling on Friday 10th August at 10.30pm at The Criterion from Messrs Izzard, Blessed and Fry: http://www.criterion-theatre.co.uk/sportingstories

FYI for example to wind down after that evening's "Apostles" Prom (if you're not staying on for the National Youth jazz Orchestra).
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Some high class storytelling on Friday 10th August at 10.30pm at The Criterion from Messrs Izzard, Blessed and Fry: http://www.criterion-theatre.co.uk/sportingstories

FYI for example to wind down after that evening's "Apostles" Prom (if you're not staying on for the National Youth jazz Orchestra).
    Looks good, but I prefer the Criterion Restaurant - the Barnsley chop is out of this world!!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      Looks good, but I prefer the Criterion Restaurant - the Barnsley chop is out of this world!!!
      It's the mosaic ceiling for me every time

I nearly died under it as a 12 year-old when the restaurant was run as a Quality Inn in 1964 so I have a rather emotional connection with it - long story with a happy ending

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I last went in the Marco Pierre White days and everything was too salty (except the pudding ) - it was bought out and relaunched late 2009. have you had your chop there since then?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

I nearly died under it as a 12 year-old when the restaurant was run as a Quality Inn in 1964 so I have a rather emotional connection with it - long story with a happy ending
          Do tell do tell! PM si tuk-tuk oblige

Comment

• Beef Oven

I last went in the Marco Pierre White days and everything was too salty (except the pudding ) - it was bought out and relaunched late 2009. have you had your chop there since then?
            Recently, a few time last year and a few this year. I may have been lucky, but it has knocked the spots off any restaurant that I've been in in the last few years.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Interesting! Long story? How about one of them there executive summaries

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Recently, a few time last year and a few this year. I may have been lucky, but it has knocked the spots off any restaurant that I've been in in the last few years.

Noted It's such a great room too

Hope ammy gives us at least the summary I wonder if it was a case of the amateur infant having eyes too big for his tum and having a "choking incident"... Did Prof. Reginald P. Heimlich save the day??

Comment

• amateur51

Noted It's such a great room too

Hope ammy gives us at least the summary I wonder if it was a case of the amateur infant having eyes too big for his tum and having a "choking incident"... Did Prof. Reginald P. Heimlich save the day??
                  Exactly that, Caliban

A piece of meat gristle wrapped itself around my uvula and I was gently choking to death (a drama queen at 12! ) and I was struggling to breath and to insert my finger into my mouth, my papa and younger brother totally unaware of the drama unfolding next to them. A waiter spotted what was going on, didn't break step as he passed behind me balancing a tray one-handed in true waiterly fashion, slapped me hard between the shoulder blades and as the offending meaty wodge was propelled back into my mouth, I spat it out and took a gasp of air and looked upwards through tear-filled eyes at the wonderful ceiling (ten-a-penny in the waiter's native Tangiers I liked to think).

Proust and his madeleines, I laugh in your face. Give me a North African waiter and a mosaic ceiling every time

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Give me a North African waiter and a mosaic ceiling every time
                    ... and candle-light and a balmy breeze billowing the curtains

Phew! Incredible sang-froid and leger-de-main plus a quick tour-de-force from the waiter...

...and not a drop of Table 11's Vichyssoise spilt

What with that and the Beefster's Barnsley chop... It seems like a return visit is called for. It's funny, as I have to cycle into work round Piccadilly Circus these days, as the Mall is shut for t'Olympics ... I've gazed several times at the Criterion as I sat at the lights, and remembered a salty risotto and wondered if it's any good these days...

(So much for my Criterion Theatre OP - tant pis, this has been much more interesting )

Comment

• handsomefortune

i should never have read mr fry's tweets, i really regret this in retrospect.

A piece of meat gristle wrapped itself around my uvula

strange how choking is often a very memorable experience.

tant pis

it wasn't that bad caliban!

a salty risotto doesn't sound tasty unless you're dead keen on salt..... which most people aren't (fortunately for their health). pepper's a different matter all together. incidentally, i disagree with anna about rocket leaf (mentioned on the stormy salad thread iirc) ...... it grows very easily, so no need to buy it, and it provides a delicious peppery oooog yum yum imo.

i also love mosaics... on the ceiling, walls, floor etc (but probably not all at once).

I have to cycle into work round Piccadilly Circus these days, as the Mall is shut for t'Olympics you're obviously not an employee requested to 'work from home', during the sports show then....let's hope it passes quickly time-wise.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Exactly that, Caliban

A piece of meat gristle wrapped itself around my uvula and I was gently choking to death (a drama queen at 12! ) and I was struggling to breath and to insert my finger into my mouth, my papa and younger brother totally unaware of the drama unfolding next to them. A waiter spotted what was going on, didn't break step as he passed behind me balancing a tray one-handed in true waiterly fashion, slapped me hard between the shoulder blades and as the offending meaty wodge was propelled back into my mouth, I spat it out and took a gasp of air and looked upwards through tear-filled eyes at the wonderful ceiling (ten-a-penny in the waiter's native Tangiers I liked to think).

Proust and his madeleines, I laugh in your face. Give me a North African waiter and a mosaic ceiling every time
                        I've counted 7 double-entendres in this summary

Comment

• amateur51

I've counted 7 double-entendres in this summary
                          See, I does know the meaning of restraint - oops there goes another

Comment

• Beef Oven

See, I does know the meaning of restraint - oops there goes another

Comment

Working...
                            X