Income in Classical Music and Jazz (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Sep 2024

Income in Classical Music and Jazz (Britain)

Does anyone know what a typical annual income is for the following:

(a) Radio 3 Presenter
    (b) Member of an Orchestra
    (c) Low Profile Conductor
    (d) Low Profile Composer
    (e) Low Profile Opera Singer
    (f) Prominent Jazz Artist
    (g) Low Profile Jazz Musician
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

(a) Radio 3 Presenter
    (d) Low Profile Composer
    less than a doctor

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

This might be useful:
      The money's terrible, the stress is awful and the music is plain boring. No wonder so many of Britain's orchestra players are choosing to hang up their bows, writes Anna Price.

... bearing in mind the article's 6 years old!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

(a) Radio 3 Presenter
        (d) Low Profile Composer
        I donlt think that anyone really "knows" the answers to all of these and they would vary from case to case in any event, but there caqn be no doubt that (a) and (b) are usually employed whereas all the others are usually self-employed, with all the differences that this entails. At a haphazard guess, I would venture to suggest that the lowest paid of all these categories are (d) and (g), especially since (d), unlike his/her high profile counterparts, has to rely to a far greater extent on royalty and perhaps sales income rather than income from commissions.
        Last edited by ahinton; 21-06-12, 16:12.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          This might be useful:
          The money's terrible, the stress is awful and the music is plain boring. No wonder so many of Britain's orchestra players are choosing to hang up their bows, writes Anna Price.

... bearing in mind the article's 6 years old!
          I think ferney that is really helpful on (b). Presumably a pianist would be on a much higher level?

What do people feel about the other categories?

I'm not looking for exact numbers but ball park figures - £15,000, £25,000, £50,000, £100,000, £250,000, £500,000, £1 million, £3 million, £10 million?

Comment

• LHC
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            less than a doctor
            I suspect that if you added all their salaries together, the answer would still be less than a doctor. They probably work longer hour as well.
            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

I think ferney that is really helpful on (b). Presumably a pianist would be on a much higher level?

What do people feel about the other categories?

I'm not looking for exact numbers but ball park figures - £15,000, £25,000, £50,000, £100,000, £250,000, £500,000, £1 million, £3 million, £10 million?
              Why ?

I'll send you a copy of my accounts if you like

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Why ?

I'll send you a copy of my accounts if you like
                Why?

Because my enjoyment of music, and radio, is now very closely related to the earnings of those involved. Just as I would feel uneasy if they were earning next to nothing, so I feel uneasy if they are earning very high amounts.

A key part of entertainment, and music particularly, is about a sense of connection on several levels.

If someone musical was a BNP supporter, that would turn me off. The same is true of incomparable income.
                Last edited by Guest; 21-06-12, 16:11.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Surely frenchfrank must know the approximate pay scales of R3 presenters?

Comment

• Resurrection Man

If someone musical was a BNP supporter, that would turn me off....
                    How about a lapsed Catholic?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                      How about a lapsed Catholic?
                      Don't tell me. I know this one. It is either a type of roofing joist, a term used for someone who crosses the floor of the House of Lords, or a butterfly.

We have these to go:

(a) Radio 3 Presenter

(d) Low Profile Composer

Comment

• Anna

Why?
                        Because my enjoyment of music, and radio, is now very closely related to the earnings of those involved. Just as I would feel uneasy if they were earning next to nothing, so I feel uneasy if they are earning very high
                        Is this linked to Jimmy Carr, who paid £8.5 mill cash for his house having had a nifty accountant who put his earnings into offshore and he only paid 1% tax? Personally, I think he's rubbish and wouldn't listen to him anyway, even if he was claiming benefits and as left-wing as he postures to be. If it's not, well there are plenty of other examples, such as Andy Kershaw aren't there? Edit: I'm sure Nigel Kennedy has the monies rolling in, but I still (god help me) listen to him (as a low profile jazz musician) Double Edit: Actually, what does it matter who earns what, is that not the politics of envy?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          Is this linked to Jimmy Carr, who paid £8.5 mill cash for his house having had a nifty accountant who put his earnings into offshore and he only paid 1% tax? Personally, I think he's rubbish and wouldn't listen to him anyway, even if he was claiming benefits and as left-wing as he postures to be. If it's not, well there are plenty of other examples, such as Andy Kershaw aren't there? Edit: I'm sure Nigel Kennedy has the monies rolling in, but I still (god help me) listen to him (as a low profile jazz musician)
                          Yes, Anna - and Barlow. At nearly 50 one is entitled to separate out the sustaining from the swill.

I have already done this to some extent with football by focussing mainly on internationals and the lower leagues. I only have a cursory glance now at the Premiership and have ceased to attend.

Information is helpful but rarely forthcoming. I think I can take in comedy and elements of pop music up to a certain year - 2000? - on the grounds that while the differentials were immense, they weren't entirely off the scale. What I am hoping to hear is that many in the areas of classical music and jazz, as well as some in world music, are also living on the same planet as the rest of us.

I'm not asking for the moon. If a few decent ones occasionally rake in £300,000 in a year I can probably cope with it but anything much more and it is becoming a no go area. This 'policy for well being' is taking place in line with shifts in taste generally.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

I'm not asking for the moon. If a few decent ones occasionally rake in £300,000 in a year I can probably cope with it ......
                            Who are you referring to here, Lat, as I've lost the thread a bit? Footballers or musicians. conductors etc ? Isn't it a value judgement at the end of the day? I have more of a problem with the vast inflated salaries that many professional footballers and TV presenters get than what figure a musician/conductor etc gets.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                              Who are you referring to here, Lat, as I've lost the thread a bit? Footballers or musicians. conductors etc ? Isn't it a value judgement at the end of the day? I have more of a problem with the vast inflated salaries that many professional footballers and TV presenters get than what figure a musician/conductor etc gets.
                              Well no, RM, I am not trying to identify people in classical music to criticise/avoid. I am trying to identify areas of culture - and I'm hoping that classical music might be one - in which I know approximately what amounts are floating around, setting aside the Boes and the Bocellis obviously, and find that they are sufficiently realistic for a connection to be built further on normality and trust.

Hope this clarifies.
                              Last edited by Guest; 21-06-12, 17:17.

Comment

Working...
                              X