X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Help, someone. I'm having a senior moment and cannot for the life of me remember the name of the woman (not Daphne Oram) who was inextricably linked with the BBC Electrophonic Workshop not so very long ago.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Elizabeth Parker ? Delia Derbyshire ?

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Parker...that's the one!

Thanks

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Amateur51, delighted you enjoyed it. Wish I didn't live so far away otherwise I'd come down again. I missed out on a whole lot more...but then the Flight Simulator siren was calling me

My only minor criticism was the exit survey which I think should have been capable of branching based on earlier replies. From the questions it seemed clear to me that they were trying to ascertain whether or not the exhibition would be encouraging 'new' people into pursuing an interest in classical music....as a result of the exhibition. Trouble was they ask the same question of everyone and in a previous question had already established whether one was a novice or already an aficionado. So to ask the question of the aficionado is they'd take more interest in classical music would most likely get a negative reply.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            so having to write out sections that are intended to slowly drift out of synch and then come together
            Just write it in 5/4: with only three hours' total rehearsal time, this will happen automatically. (<sardonicwinkeyemoticon>)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Here is a link to the Philharmonia's page about this. I was especially pleased to see that it is going to become available online.

The Philharmonia uses technology to connect with a growing audience beyond the concert hall, creating new artistic experiences that allow you to step inside the Orchestra.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Just write it in 5/4: with only three hours' total rehearsal time, this will happen automatically. (<sardonicwinkeyemoticon>)

have you heard the Eighth Blackbird version of Les Moutons De Panurge ?
                they made it with Rzewski (so I guess he likes it) but are so tight that it doesn't drift at all

brilliant stuff though .......

Comment

• umslopogaas
                  • Nov 2010

On the subject of conductors, this quote from Chambers Music Quotations always makes me chuckle:

'James Agate, meeting a friend, a member of the BBC orchestra:
                  "Who conducted this afternoon?"
                  Alec Whittaker, First Oboe:
                  "Sorry James, I forgot to look." '

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                    On the subject of conductors, this quote from Chambers Music Quotations always makes me chuckle:

'James Agate, meeting a friend, a member of the BBC orchestra:
                    "Who conducted this afternoon?"
                    Alec Whittaker, First Oboe:
                    "Sorry James, I forgot to look." '

A similar one happened to me in a workshop I was leading for a well known midlands orchestra
                    I was trying to get the students to watch me while I conducted a tricky bit
                    so turned to the bass trombonist from the orchestra who was doing the session with in the hope
                    that he would stress the importance of following the conductor
                    "so how much do you watch the conductor and how much the music on the stand ?" I asked
                    "O, I think I last looked at the conductor in about 1985" was the reply

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Have you seen this exhibition, Mr GG?

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visi...s/oramics.aspx
                      London is absolutely awash with amazing exhibitions right now: Tate Britain, Tate Modern, S Bank University - and I'm not referring to the weather! Make sure to get here quick to take advantage before the capital gets usurped by Those Games.

Comment

Working...
                      X