X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

The Day the Torch came to town

A few thousand hopefuls, and the coerced, lined the streets of Coupar Angus in East Perthshire to see the Olympic Torch as it meandered its way from Aberdeen to Dundee via Perth. I was there, a lot more excited than I should probably be at my stage in life. I wandered lonely through the crowds chatting to folk getting a feel of how fortune had smiled on the town 'for a change'.

It was due to come in at 12.20 and by quarter past I was listening to some kids from the local Primary Schools singing a 'Dougie McLean composed for the occasion' song about the joys of Perthshire and the flame going along the Tay ( I heard him and a small choir sing it later on R2 from Scone Palace). Of course the pipe band decided to tune up in the middle of the second verse just in case anyone thought there was much organisation at play.

Then out of the Perthshire countryside came the Police motorcycle outriders with a hand out as they passed the waiting kids and then an entourage of vehicles, some who seemed to have been caught up in the convoy (including a lorry full of chickens on the way to the factory) - a sacrifice to the Gods I wondered. Of course it's crassly commercial with its fizzy drink vans and go-go girls, but when the Torch arrived on the chair of a young totally excited guy with cerebral palsy and was passed on to the next runner in his white running suit, everyone cheering, I forgot all the razzmatazz. As I followed the runners through the street I found myself in touch with that wee boy in me who saw the torch as a sign passed on from the ancients, rather than some CC sponsored thing.

....and as the Torch and its minders headed out of CA and on to Burrelton and beyond folk had a smile on their face, or a drop of cynicism in their voice, but all agreed that it had been a right good day out. I felt honoured to have seen it pass.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Forgive my geographical ignorance (I'm a southern sassenach) but was this before or after the Orkney touch-down? For the latter, R3 was inevitably going to play PMD's Orkney Wedding with Sunrise....and it did. Whilst I've a lot of time for much of PMD's music...especially some of his small choral pieces...this is one that makes me want to scream. Had he gone native when he wrote it?
    But thanks for your graphic account, JC. I guess for you independence won't involve ditching the monarchy?

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      this is one that makes me want to scream.
      The torch has been up in the northern isles and even took a trip out to the Hebrides, ardcarp, before it headed down to the lowlands. The Dougie McLean thing was a bit of a dirge ( no change there) - it was a bit of a shame expecting kids to sing it - not expecting it to be the next anthem.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

O Barry ......... where are you now when we need you ?

In the 1956 Melbourne Games, local veterinary student Barry Larkin protested against the relay by tricking onlookers by carrying a fake flame, consisting of a pair of underpants set on fire in a plum pudding can, attached to a chair leg. He successfully managed to hand over the fake flame to the Mayor of Sydney, Pat Hills and escape without being noticed

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

....you'd pay good money to see that.
          Last edited by johncorrigan; 13-06-12, 09:48. Reason: these days someone could write an opera about that!

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Not sure if this the right place for general Olympic curmudgeonliness but this one is another cracker from Grace Dent

Having Lord Tuffnel emerge from a pod to do a "trademark" solo would make me want to watch it ALL
            or will it end with a rendition of this ?

English folk group Show of Hands promo video for single "Country Life". Directed by Rob O'Connor / Stylorouge

Comment

• Rumbaba

I'm an ex-pat Scot living in Kent and the torch is going to pass by my house in Tunbridge Wells on 17th July. I was thinking about having my barbecue lit by the Olympic flame. I don't expect the torch bearer to come round the back into the garden but I thought I could maybe light a taper from it: or is the security too tight for that? I think the torch should be lighting fags, BBQs, coal fires, bonfires, incinerators, etc along the route. At least the roundabout at the top of the road is getting a makeover for the occasion.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

open the windows and play this very loud !

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(I can help with a suitable PA if you need )

or even this

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  I felt honoured to have seen it pass.
                  JC, I'm glad you enjoyed it. As I noted elsewhere on these boards, I'm currently in deepest Somerset, so I missed all the goings on.

On a not-unrelated note, I must remark on the number of flags, buntings and other decorations that are on display in England at the moment. There's nothing like it in Scotland.

Thank goodness!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    It's not just Barry and his trick that I admire but also the writer who reported that "student Barry Larkin protested against the relay"

A refugee from the Pedants thread, I suppose

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Rumbaba View Post
                      I'm an ex-pat Scot living in Kent and the torch is going to pass by my house in Tunbridge Wells on 17th July. I was thinking about having my barbecue lit by the Olympic flame. I don't expect the torch bearer to come round the back into the garden but I thought I could maybe light a taper from it: or is the security too tight for that? I think the torch should be lighting fags, BBQs, coal fires, bonfires, incinerators, etc along the route. At least the roundabout at the top of the road is getting a makeover for the occasion.
                      Rumbaba: don't rush up unannounced with your taper! On day 1 in Cornwall the TV news showed security guys, Met Police I think, wrestling to the ground an elderly guy who ran out of the crowd to take a close-up photo of the torch-carrier. They did apologise afterwards so that was all right

Being very marginally involved professionally with the festivities I'd heard beforehand that they had instructions to 'take out' anyone apparently threatening the torch-bearer, so it was something of a relief that it wasn't "Shoot first and ask questions later."
                      Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 13-06-12, 22:21. Reason: I've just remembered I didn't actually see it 'live', only on the news later - <DOH>!
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                        Rumbaba: don't rush up unannounced with your taper! On day 1 in Newquay Cornwall I saw the security guys, Met Police I think, wrestle to the ground an elderly guy who ran out of the crowd to take a close-up photo of the torch-carrier. They did apologise afterwards so that was all right

Being very marginally involved professionally with the festivities I'd heard beforehand that they had instructions to 'take out' anyone apparently threatening the torch-bearer, so it was something of a relief that it wasn't "Shoot first and ask questions later."
                        That's a very understandable point but it's also an almost impossible fine line to draw in such unpredictable circumstances ... now, if that elderly guy actually had some sort of explosive device or weapon, and the security guards did nothing ... well ... draw your own conclusions.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                          That's a very understandable point but it's also an almost impossible fine line to draw in such unpredictable circumstances ... now, if that elderly guy actually had some sort of explosive device or weapon, and the security guards did nothing ... well ... draw your own conclusions.
                          Oh yes absolutely. I wouldn't want the job. Like so many jobs, even if all goes well you'll never be dead sure yourself that you did all of it right, but everyone will pillory you if you're seen getting one small bit (arguably) wrong.

I suppose one arguable defect in the process with the elderly photographer was that AFAIK there was no effort to warn the public about the 'exclusion zone' round the carrier, either via the media in advance or by announcement to the crowds on the day - say from the buses with the 'cheerleaders' and their loudhailers that led the procession. But then again, warning the masses too much might just give some idiot a big idea - you really can't win!
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                            We live in hope .............has anyone , anywhere attempted a suicide bomb attack on the olympic torch ?
                            so again a load of paranoid shite ...........................why not just shoot everyone who looks a bit iffy
                            where's Mark Thomas when you need him ?

and several idiots have already had "big ideas" so the names Boris and Sebastian (no NOT the Jarman film !) mean nothing to you ?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

This space has been reserved for someone currently struggling to find a few appropriate words.

Comment

Working...
                              X