X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Inadequate TV set speakers

Having still got masses of VHS tapes with mainly off-air recordings of operas and classical music I find the sound reproduction from the flat-screen TV set totally inadequate. I'm thinking of attaching a set of "proper" loudspeakers but not sure what to go for regards output and such without sending the TV set to an early grave. Any recommendations?
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

It might not suit you or be feasible with the position of your amp and speakers but I feed the TV sound into an aux input on the amplifier via a simple phono cable and play it through my hifi system. Since the speakers are on either side of the telly this works very well and I have the TV sound permanently muted. You can of course also use the TV to play radio stations.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

This is what I do too.

Comment

• anotherbob
        • Sep 2011

The solution offered by your first two responses is the best, but if that's not possible you could try something like this...

I use a set of these and find the sound most acceptable.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          . . . I feed the TV sound into an aux input on the amplifier via a simple phono cable and play it through my hifi system. . .
          That's my setup downstairs with a smaller TV set. The bigger flat-screen is upstairs on its own with a separate DVD and VHS player. There isn't enough room between the big loudspeakers downstairs to simply swap the TV sets.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
            The solution offered by your first two responses is the best, but if that's not possible you could try something like this...

I use a set of these and find the sound most acceptable.
            That sounds ideal. Being totally non-technical should I worry about such things as ohms/watts/input/output etc. or is it just a case of plugging them in and they'll do the job?

Comment

• anotherbob
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
              That sounds ideal. Being totally non-technical should I worry about such things as ohms/watts/input/output etc. or is it just a case of plugging them in and they'll do the job?
              Assuming your flatscreen TV has the appropriate audio outputs it is a very simple setup. They are active speakers so they have their own amplifier. As to the speakers' power output these are capable of very adequate sound levels in my (average size) living room. There's enough to enjoy the Rolling Stones "Shine a Light" concert which has to be heard loud.
              There are much more elaborate "Home Cinema" setups which involve large numbers of speakers (and attendant wires) but for what you want I suspect these would do the job.

Afterthought..... A minor irritation is that the speakers have to be turned on independently of the TV, and I still forget.
              Last edited by anotherbob; 07-06-12, 15:25. Reason: afterthought

Comment

• rauschwerk
                • Nov 2010

Why not try a soundbar (see, for example, the Richer Sounds website)? Some of these look quite unobtrusive.

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
                  . . . for what you want I suspect these would do the job.
                  Absolutely. However, the 3.5mm extension cable listed on Amazon has mixed reviews. Would it be wise to go for better quality?
                  Rauschwerk: Will have a look at the soundbar. Thanks.

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                    Why not try a soundbar (see, for example, the Richer Sounds website)? Some of these look quite unobtrusive.
                    I'd never heard of a soundbar. I rather like the look of the Sharp HTSB250. Worth a trip to my local Richer Sounds shop, methinks and investigate.

Thanks everybody for all the excellent advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X