Turning-point for the BBC? - the new DG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Caliban, he looks the same in every one. Fair enough I guess but the second one was taken when he was a kid.

We'll Meet Again in Peaceful Valley written by Wilf CarterMontana Slim - The Yodeling Cowboy 78 rpm record on Bluebird record label.Recorded - October 27th,...
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-12, 14:41.

Comment

• LHC
      • Jan 2011

It reminds me of the Not the Nine O'Clock News (?) joke about Roger Moore's famously wooden acting in which a series of the same photograph was captioned: 'anger', 'grief', 'happiness' etc. ending with the last one, which was captioned 'and this is the real me'
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by LHC View Post
        It reminds me of the Not the Nine O'Clock News (?) joke about Roger Moore's famously wooden acting in which a series of the same photograph was captioned: 'anger', 'grief', 'happiness' etc. ending with the last one, which was captioned 'and this is the real me'

Quote:

'The Sunday Times thought he might have had a comment to make about the infamous internal BBC talent league table leaked in December last year, but George shut the door on a visiting reporter. The bottom category was headed "Occasional sparkle (but limited appeal)", and featured Delia Smith, Michael Palin, Sophie Raworth and Giles Coren.'

One of my (several) points is about the potential for two-way dialogue, eg Can we please discuss Breakfast on 3? Looking at his expression, was there really any need to close the door?

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>Caliban, he looks the same in every one.

Lat,
          Toothless, as far as you can tell.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

"imperative to engineer a major shift of commitment towards the devising and delivery of the integrated sub genre strategies essential to the next stage of the Knowledge strategy on all platforms"?

Yes Lat, that is, more or less, management-speak for the need of more Montana Smith on the radio. Particularly his yodeling songs.

As for the hi-fi, that is a surprise. What records does he use to reference his kit, do you know ?

Comment

• handsomefortune

botherhood corp:

Jane Martinson: George Entwistle may be a sound choice for the BBC top job, but Caroline Thomson has the experience – and is no 'mini-me'

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                I know who should be the new DG - but she's probably considered Anna Fordable.

(I'll get me handbag)

Comment

• handsomefortune

i like to think anna ford wouldn't want to do the job any way - (not unless she could chuck glasses of wine over 'the suits' and publicly humiliate them - god only knows some darn well deserve it).

(I'll get me handbag) why, what have you got in it today serial apologist, a bottle of red or 5?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

i like to think anna ford wouldn't want to do the job any way - (not unless she could chuck glasses of wine over 'the suits' and publicly humiliate them - god only knows some darn well deserve it).

(I'll get me handbag) why, what have you got in it today serial apologist, a bottle of red or 5?
                    Ooh yeah - packet of five - you gotta be SO careful these days incha, nar mean? Awry dahling? Not you, dear, tee hee. Ooh, and I always remember me frilly nicks an' fishnets - gotta have summat to get 'em going, innit! Higgs bosom? Wotcher on abaout?? Ooh you are naughty!

Comment

• handsomefortune

don't tell me, .............barbara windsor sunday on radio2?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

don't tell me, .............barbara windsor sunday on radio2?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                          "imperative to engineer a major shift of commitment towards the devising and delivery of the integrated sub genre strategies essential to the next stage of the Knowledge strategy on all platforms"?

Yes Lat, that is, more or less, management-speak for the need of more Montana Smith on the radio. Particularly his yodeling songs.

As for the hi-fi, that is a surprise. What records does he use to reference his kit, do you know ?
                          Surprisingly, not the obvious, Paul. The e-mail that came back from his office mentioned a Tom Dement, a Barrence Brosseau and an Iris Whitfield. Can't say that I have heard of any of them myself but you never know. It could be the start of a new era.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Six months ago the BBC hired a firm of headhunters, at colossal expense, to find a replacement for the outgoing Thompson. After a nationwide search, intensive profiling and hundreds of interviews, they have come up with – an Identikit model! Admittedly, George Entwistle does not sport a three-day beard. But in all other respects he is a manifestation of exactly the same phenomenon as his predecessor: the thrusting, middle-aged, white, male, ultimately meaningless media executive. Both men are habitually called brilliant by their acolytes. Both men – as was tellingly remarked of the broadcaster David Frost – have risen without trace.

Oborne in today's T'graf

discouraging innit .... wonder if Patten thinks he is malleable .... [pay cut?] etc yawn ... same old AUNTSPEAK then ....
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aeolium
                              • Nov 2010

Yes, I would rather have seen a D-G who came from outside the BBC organisation completely: someone who was not obsessed with management structures; someone who was congenitally incapable of using the debased language of Birtspeak; someone who was really interested in programme substance and not advertising or celebrity; someone of independent mind capable of resisting pressure from politicos and the media; someone who was in the job for the ideal of public service and not for the money.

It would have been a powerful but not unprecedented case of the establishment embracing its critics, but I would have gone for Ian Hislop

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aeolium View Post

It would have been a powerful but not unprecedented case of the establishment embracing its critics, but I would have gone for Ian Hislop
                                Hang on - he has much more important work to do at Private Eye

Having said that in fun, I do think that Ian Hislop's evidence to the Leveson Inquiry was amongst the most succinct and impressive that they have seen to date.:

But I would hate to think of those talents being wasted at the BBC bunker.

Comment

Working...
                                X