Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

It might be worthwhile to amalgamate the new thread on the new DG with this one? Both cover the same subject.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
      It appears that the furore surrounding the BBC's coverage of the river pageant will not be the hoped-for turning point for the BBC.

It has just been announced that the next DG is to be George Entwistle, who is currently the Director of BBC Vision (whatever that might be)

Current director of BBC Vision, George Entwistle, is announced as the 15th BBC director general.

Amongst his many other achievements, Entwistle was responsible the lovely BBC coverage of the Jubilee River Pageant that was so widely praised. He chaired the committee co-ordinating the event and was responsible for the “lightening up of the coverage”!

I wonder what other innovations we can expect under such an inspired leadership? One Show at the Proms perhaps?

That has depressed me

That said, he's apparently been Acting Controller of BBC4 since 2007, which is in my opinion has become very good indeed. So maybe there's hope.

A Yorkshireman, who studied Philosophy and Politics at Durham University, Entwistle began his career as a writer and magazine editor with Haymarket Magazines and went on to join the BBC in 1989 as a Broadcast Journalism trainee.

He became an assistant producer on Panorama, where he worked on the programme's coverage of the first Gulf War, the fall of Margaret Thatcher, and an investigation into how the Tiananmen Square protest leaders were spirited out of China.

In January 1993, Entwistle became a producer for On The Record and subsequently went on to be a producer, assistant editor and deputy editor on BBC Two's flagship current affairs programme Newsnight between 1994 and 1999.

He became Editor of Newsnight in 2001, starting work in his new post the day before the 9/11 attacks on the Pentagon and Twin Towers in the USA. During his editorship, the show won five RTS Awards, including Best News Programme; as well as picking up a Broadcast Award and a Bafta nomination for Best News Programme.

In 2004 he left Newsnight for BBC Arts to become executive editor of Topical Arts on BBC Two and BBC Four. There he launched The Culture Show for BBC Two and executive-produced arts films for BBC Four.

In 1999, after 10 years in current affairs, he joined the science department as deputy editor of BBC One's popular science show Tomorrow's World where he remained for two years before returning to Newsnight as Deputy Editor. In 2004 he left Newsnight for BBC Arts to become executive editor of Topical Arts on BBC Two and BBC Four.

There he launched The Culture Show for BBC Two and executive-produced arts films for BBC Four. He also spent several months as Chair of the Knowledge Building workgroup on Mark Thompson's Creative Future strategy review.

In late 2005, he was appointed Head and Commissioning Editor of TV Current Affairs and joined BBC Television's factual commissioning team.

With Peter Fincham, then Controller of BBC One, George returned Panorama to a weekday peak-time slot.

He also commissioned a wide variety of current affairs documentary series for BBC Two, including Adam Curtis's series The Trap, Peter Taylor's four-part Age Of Terror, and Norma Percy's multiple award-winning Iran And The West.

In April 2007, he became Acting Controller of BBC Four and led the channel during a period which saw the first runs of Mad Men and Flight Of The Conchords

As Acting Director, BBC Vision, Entwistle was responsible for the move of QI back to BBC Two and triple RTS award-winner Miranda to BBC One
      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 04-07-12, 11:47.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

There's a slight profusion of threads on this topic... http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...483#post180483

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          There's a slight profusion of threads on this topic... http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...483#post180483
          Yes I've suggested an amalgamation on t'other 'un

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Well BBC 4's OK - it's what it should be (or BBC 1 and 2 should be without its need) but I wouldnt award it an Oscar or whatever other self-congratulatory self-aggrandisement on a mini-pedestal one might nominate..

Comment

• amateur51

My word he's cheap, well cheaper than the last feller!

That must be good news

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

It shows that the Trust have gained some backbone at last and aren't going to be shoved around by the media or the opinions of the public ......

Interesting that there have never been more women (6, or 50-50) on the Trust/Board of Governors and still with two very strong women contenders it goes to a man.

And The Telegraph's view - haven't looked at the Daily Mail's yet (don't think I will).

The Culture Show .......
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  It shows that the Trust have gained some backbone at last and aren't going to be shoved around by the media or the opinions of the public ......

Interesting that there have never been more women (6, or 50-50) on the Trust/Board of Governors and still with two very strong women contenders it goes to a man.

And The Telegraph's view - haven't looked at the Daily Mail's yet (don't think I will).

The Culture Show .......
                  I know Caroline Thomson, the BBC's COO and deputy to the current DG, was considered a strong candidate, but who were the other women contenders?

BBC4 is good, but I would describe Entwistle's achievements as rather mixed. He took over Tomorrow's World in 1999, a period which coincided with its dumbing down and eventual removal from the screens. He may have returned Panorama to BBC1, but only as a pale shadow of its former self. As the person in charge of the BBC's factual output, he must also take some responsibility for the move to have documentaries presented by celebrities rather than experts (the comedian David Baddiel presenting Horizon being just one of a number of horrendous examples).

Having said that, I should acknowledge that the factual output has recently improved; the Secret History of Our Streets is one of the best and most illuminating series the BBC has produced for some time (and no celebrity presenters either).

Of course, the other concern is that he is an insider who may be reluctant to change the BBC's current direction.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    As Acting Director, BBC Vision, Entwistle was responsible for the move of QI back to BBC Two and triple RTS award-winner Miranda to BBC One[/I][/B]

a bold visionary move indeed

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Terrific. News, news and more news.

Plenty to say for himself until the going gets tough. Then nothing.

What is his experience of radio - or doesn't that count?

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>What is his experience of radio
                        Lat,
                        His submission to The Trust indicated that he planned to make Montana Slim's hits a significant part of all bbc stations' output. Three and four included.

mercia,
                        Bold indeed. Those astonishgly deft moves must have clinched the deal for The Trust.

Btw
                        Matt Baker will be taking over as chair of Question Time

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                          >What is his experience of radio
                          Lat,
                          His submission to The Trust indicated that he planned to make Montana Slim's hits a significant part of all bbc stations' output. Three and four included.

Paul, is that what he meant when he wrote that it is:

"imperative to engineer a major shift of commitment towards the devising and delivery of the integrated sub genre strategies essential to the next stage of the Knowledge strategy on all platforms"?

Incidentally, I hear on the grapevine that his preferred reference set up is Townsend Rock turntable/Audio Innovations amplifier/Snell speakers.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Creative Expression - Our Multifaceted Man At The Top

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

George Entwistle@EntwistleGeorge

20 Following

77 Followers

@entwistlegeorge hasn't tweeted yet

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                                Creative Expression - Our Multifaceted Man At The Top
                                That's a bit tough, Lats... If any of us were held to account based on a sequence of facial photos, who should 'scape whipping?

Comment

Working...
                                X