• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    I like it! I like it a lot

Bubble wrap doesn't quite, er, cover it, but it would provide a continuing excuse for something to have a pop at.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Bubble wrap doesn't quite, er, cover it, but it would provide a continuing excuse for something to have a pop at.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

In case anyone missed the extended rerun of Have I Got News For You on BBC1 on Monday evening, it contained a really good segment about the Jubilee and most of all about the BBC coverage - bracingly unguarded and some eye-popping examples of fatuous commentary I'd missed. Really hilarious 10 minutes or so - laugh-out loud funny, I thought, and some great denunciation of the 'dumbing down' mentality chez Auntie

It's between 2mins 20secs and 14mins here:

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Delicious.
          Same applies to R3, and many of us have been saying it for years. Will anyone at R3 listen? Hey, Chris Patten, you on receive or what?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            In case anyone missed the extended rerun of Have I Got News For You on BBC1 on Monday evening, it contained a really good segment about the Jubilee and most of all about the BBC coverage - bracingly unguarded and some eye-popping examples of fatuous commentary I'd missed. Really hilarious 10 minutes or so - laugh-out loud funny, I thought, and some great denunciation of the 'dumbing down' mentality chez Auntie

It's between 2mins 20secs and 14mins here:

Cheers Caliban! - as I watched none of it, this sounds like the prefect way to catch up with the minimum of angst

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Cheers Caliban! - as I watched none of it, this sounds like the prefect way to catch up with the minimum of angst
              I think Sir's funny bone will be agreeably tickled....
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• chapman19
                • Aug 2011

I often wonder if the BBC management are being shown specially made versions of the programmes we see...

BBC Director General Mark Thompson tells MPs the corporation has "lessons to learn" from its widely-criticised coverage of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

'...he thought it was "a really good piece of broadcasting" on the whole.'

So much for BBC Director General Mark Thompson's judgement!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by chapman19 View Post
                  I often wonder if the BBC management are being shown specially made versions of the programmes we see...

BBC Director General Mark Thompson tells MPs the corporation has "lessons to learn" from its widely-criticised coverage of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

'...he thought it was "a really good piece of broadcasting" on the whole.'

So much for BBC Director General Mark Thompson's judgement!
                  Quite agree. Two passages from the article are telling:

"We also had one or two - not many but one or two - inaccuracies in the commentary which we shouldn't have had." [Note the 'not many' passage - an attempt to restructure memories. Not many would have listed the criticisms in detail.]

"However, Mr Thompson insisted he would not "talk about individual elements" of the coverage." [Why? - he's already acknowledged there were a few problems. How can you discuss them without talking about the 'individual elements'?]

Weasel words.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

So today we learn that the BBC had problems in its flotilla coverage owing to the weather on that day affecting the camera crews operating from boats?

Other networks covering the event had different weather?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                      "We also had one or two - not many but one or two - inaccuracies in the commentary which we shouldn't have had."

"However, Mr Thompson insisted he would not "talk about individual elements" of the coverage."
                      I find it difficult to think of anyone quite so utterly lacking in charm. It might as well just rain until September.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Or charisma, Lat. He's quite a hopeless leader. Well done BBC Trust people who gave him the job. Have another go, why don't you.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                          Well done BBC Trust people who gave him the job. Have another go, why don't you.
                          Don't tempt fate, Paul.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Man of Vision ? The new BBC boss

BBC's current director of vision and former editor of Newsnight will take over from Mark Thompson in the autumn

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Currently the BBC's director of "vision"? Mark Thompson's choice?

Doesn't exactly raise one's hopes.

Comment

• LHC
                                • Jan 2011

It appears that the furore surrounding the BBC's coverage of the river pageant will not be the hoped-for turning point for the BBC.

It has just been announced that the next DG is to be George Entwistle, who is currently the Director of BBC Vision (whatever that might be)

Current director of BBC Vision, George Entwistle, is announced as the 15th BBC director general.

Amongst his many other achievements, Entwistle was responsible the lovely BBC coverage of the Jubilee River Pageant that was so widely praised. He chaired the committee co-ordinating the event and was responsible for the “lightening up of the coverage”!

I wonder what other innovations we can expect under such an inspired leadership? One Show at the Proms perhaps?
                                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
                                X