• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Someone tweeting to Fearne Cotton "Look, Love, you were rubbish on that programme" may be rude but I don't think it's bullying. It would perhaps be bullying if they picked her up on lack of capital letters for personal pronouns and a complete lack of apostrophes.
    I'm glad you said that, Anna. I completely agree.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Someone tweeting to Fearne Cotton "Look, Love, you were rubbish on that programme" may be rude but I don't think it's bullying. It would perhaps be bullying if they picked her up on lack of capital letters for personal pronouns and a complete lack of apostrophes.
      I didn't hear Ms Cotton omitting any cApital letters' or apo'stRophe's!
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
        Looking at posting statistics on the jubilee thread, YOU have shown the most interest MrGongGong!
        That's because I find it interesting how people think about this subject not that a load of boats going down the river is intrinsically interesting
        if they had made it a 4 day celebration of Morton Feldman's music I WOULD be interested in the content rather than the reactions ..........

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

The BBC have now had 4,500 complaints. In an email to staff, BBC director general Mark Thompson said he was very proud of the coverage. "Our output has been impressive not only in its scale, but in its ambition, quality and outstanding journalism," he wrote.

"This was a weekend when most British households put understandable cares and anxieties aside and celebrated a moment of national reflection and thanks for the Queen's lifetime of service and devotion. I am very proud that the BBC was able to bring them together in such a unique and memorable way."

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?
          Well, he certainly DID say (or rather wrote) that, didn't he? - and I suppose that, as justification, he might (although I'm not seeking to put words into his mouth or his computer keyboard) claim that 4,500 as a proportion of the viewer tally is vanishingly small. I still happen to think that 4,500 complaints about just one broadcast are far too many to ignore in the way that his defensive statement suggests that he has chosen to do; it's time that he cottoned on to reality, methinks.

As to FC's manner and matter of presentation (and I have no idea what proportion of the 4,500 complainants included disgruntlement with that in their complaints), which of its female presenters should BBC have appointed to do it instead? - Kirsty Young? - Kirsty Wark? - Katie Derham? - Sarah Montague? - Clemency Burton-Hill?...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            That's because I find it interesting how people think about this subject not that a load of boats going down the river is intrinsically interesting

I think you share a similar malaise to the BBC hierarchy, in being apparently unable to accept that the 'load of boats' all represented potentially interesting stories, personal and historical (even if - for the sake of argument - the boats themselves weren't). It's a pity you aren't able - it seems - to acknowledge the possibility of interest in anything other than things you already know about and are interested in. It seems slightly ... unimaginative.

The difference between you and the Beeb is that you'd suggested Morton Feldman coverage (which I would also find interesting) whereas they wanted airheads talking about cross-dressers and sick-bags. There, I accept, you and they diverge!

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I think you share a similar malaise to the BBC hierarchy, in being apparently unable to accept that the 'load of boats' all represented potentially interesting stories, personal and historical (even if - for the sake of argument - the boats themselves weren't). It's a pity you aren't able - it seems - to acknowledge the possibility of interest in anything other than things you already know about and are interested in. It seems slightly ... unimaginative.

The difference between you and the Beeb is that you'd suggested Morton Feldman coverage (which I would also find interesting) whereas they wanted airheads talking about cross-dressers and sick-bags. There, I accept, you and they diverge!
              Not at all , I do think it would be terribly interesting for some folk, in fact my own father is a bit of a naval history obsessive and for him it was boaty heaven........ what it didn't seem to be was an EVENT that had enough of a performative nature to sustain itself...... so it would probably have been a fascinating film, interactive exhibition or piece in a theatre BUT a public event that made "good TV" ?
              I'm not sure that many of the people who have complained about it actually watch TV and know what it's "language" has become ?

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

if they had made it a 4 day celebration of Morton Feldman's music I WOULD be interested in the content rather than the reactions ..........
                But then there would then have been a good deal less content and so perhaps a proportionately smaller number of reactions thereto! No, it should perhaps have been a 4-day celebration of Elliott Carter's music, although I'm less than confident that Gary Barlow would have been capable of organising a massive crash of craft on the Thames out of which a Jubilee version of What Next? might have emanated; or, to put it more succinctly,

I'd give my starter
                For Elliott Carter
                Rather than for a flotilla
                Carrying Camilla.

And no, I don't mean all that, of course!...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post

I'd give my starter
                  For Elliott Carter
                  Rather than for a flotilla
                  Carrying Camilla.

Get Carter

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Not at all , I do think it would be terribly interesting for some folk, in fact my own father is a bit of a naval history obsessive and for him it was boaty heaven........ what it didn't seem to be was an EVENT that had enough of a performative nature to sustain itself...... so it would probably have been a fascinating film, interactive exhibition or piece in a theatre BUT a public event that made "good TV" ?
                    I'm not sure that many of the people who have complained about it actually watch TV and know what it's "language" has become ?
                    Much as I can understand both your point and your reason for making it, it could surely still have made far better TV than it did? - and isn't that the real point at issue here?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Mich as I can understand both your point and your reason for making it, it could surely still have made far better TV than it did? - and isn't that the real point at issue here?
                      Probably
                      but I would genuinely be more interested in the history and impact of the low pass filter on music since 1950
                      which is also a bit of a niche like the boats are for my dad

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Get Carter
                        We had that festival on the South Bank several years ago! (and I couldn't attend any of it, sadly). Never mind; if he has one thing in common with Prince Philip it is that he just gets on with it - and still is doing, it seems - à propos which someone (whose identity I cannot now recall) recently asked what is the commonality between Elliott Carter, the Queen and Nicholas Parsons and answered it himself by saying that, as each knows far better than Lady Thatcher how to "go on and on", they'll outlive most of us...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Much as I can understand both your point and your reason for making it, it could surely still have made far better TV than it did? - and isn't that the real point at issue here?

It is.

This thread is about the BBC's approach, rather than the advisabilty of the event itself...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

This discussion needs some factual evidence. Here it is:

DJs presenting the most editions of Top of the Pops

1 Sir Jimmy Savile (279)
                            2 Tony Blackburn (148)
                            3 Gary Davies (117)
                            4 Peter Powell (114)
                            5 Fearne Cotton (113)
                            6 Dave Lee Travis (104)
                            7 Pete Murray (101)
                            8 Jamie Theakston (99)
                            9 Alan Freeman (94)
                            10 Simon Bates (78)

Comment

• Panjandrum

Methinks the gent doth protest too much....

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                                This discussion needs some factual evidence. Here it is:

DJs presenting the most editions of Top of the Pops

1 Sir Jimmy Savile (279)
                                2 Tony Blackburn (148)
                                3 Gary Davies (117)
                                4 Peter Powell (114)
                                5 Fearne Cotton (113)
                                6 Dave Lee Travis (104)
                                7 Pete Murray (101)
                                8 Jamie Theakston (99)
                                9 Alan Freeman (94)
                                10 Simon Bates (78)
                                Your point presumably being that she should stick to being a deejay?

Comment

Working...
                                X