Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    I must say that Sky's coverage of today's events has been absolutely top-notch so far, full of interesting facts and information about who's who and what's what, without resorting to tittle-tattle and B listers, as the BBC seem to prefer.
    That's true, Mr Pee, though the usually meticulous Alistair Bruce did make one slip: "Today Prince Harry is travelling with his parents." I am sure we all wish he could.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I haven't heard yet what people would have liked to have seen instead of the flotilla. I assume that a golden carriage and sparkling jewels were not what was wanted or perhaps they were? Maybe all classes of people joining together in boats to celebrate history with brave artistic vision was too substantially egalitarian and took the wind out of the opposition's sails.

Talking of which, the minimal sails were one of the main differences between what we saw and the Canaletto paintings. It might have been more of a spectacle had the weather not prevented those from being raised. None of this means that I don't share others' criticism of the daytime television approach but that was put right in time for last night's concert.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-06-12, 05:10.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        it amused me [yes I'm easily amused] to find this from 2002
        http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2002/jun/07/bbc.jubilee

Yes, it is impossible to get things absolutely right. Maybe the main problem is the completist mindset (like The Genius of Mozart) - trying to over inflate things instead of thinking Less Is More.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Well I have no complaint to offer regarding the BBC's coverage of these events that I watched.
          Does this mean you didn't switch on at all this weekend, Bryn?

I can't say I was bothered. There are some, and I was probably one once, who didn't care at all about what the coverage of any of these events was like. I remember fixing the exhaust on my car on a previous royal occasion.

I'm less worried now, but surely no-one really expects to watch the whole of these things on TV anyway. Haven't even the most rabid royal supporters got anything to do? I suppose the most ardent ones would have been lined up on the river bank.
          So, as such, I'm still not really too concerned about the nature of the TV presentation.

As we don't have Sky, and I have no intention of supporting yet another Murdoch enterprise, I can't comment on the Sky coverage.
          I suppose I could adapt Bryn's comment though:

"Well I have no complaint to offer regarding Sky's coverage of these events that I watched. "

I thought the BBC effort was good enough (Swedish lagom) for those who wanted to watch it, and the rain on Saturday clearly presented really big problems.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Took me a couple of minutes to get it, but I think Bryn and frenchie are making an oblique reference to the fact that they didn't watch any of the offerings?

I'm in the same boat.
            Oh I see, well done ferns. Call me slow...

Just flicking around the coverage this afternoon. ITV/ITN are making a much better fist of it than the BBC, it seems to me. Sharper HD pictures and better sound too.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Oh I see, well done ferns. Call me slow...

Just flicking around the coverage this afternoon. ITV/ITN are making a much better fist of it than the BBC, it seems to me. Sharper HD pictures and better sound too.
              Oh, come on, Caz. You know I don't have a television set. That's why I'm so out of touch with everything!
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Oh, come on, Caz. You know I don't have a television set. That's why I'm so out of touch with everything!
                Oh, Caz is me, is it?! New nickname, frezzer! I hadn't actually picked up that you are senza goggle box

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  Where did they manage to find so many ugly boats?

I only caught the last half hour or so - I'm now told there were some nicer ones earlier on.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I hadn't actually picked up that you are senza goggle box
                    Oh, you don't read my posts, then? Ah, well. Understandable. Don't think I'm complaining or anything - I quite understand

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Oh, you don't read my posts, then? Ah, well. Understandable. Don't think I'm complaining or anything - I quite understand
                      Mais si mais si... by 'picked up', I meant 'remembered'.

Not a Sky subscriber then...

Comment

• Don Petter

I hadn't actually picked up that you are senza goggle box
                        That's why we look to ff for an unbiased view of the world.

Comment

• handsomefortune

Might this be a turning-point for the BBC?

i doubt it somehow unfortunately.

could the style complained of pass for 'internationalism'?

btw that's no excuse not having a tellybubble frenchfrank. you've got the world wide webbed tinternet. no excuse - own up, you chose to escape, like many, many others, including me.

even i knew (before the wkend) that r2's jo wiley apparently had 'nothing to wear' for yesterday's 'jubilee disco' and allegedly had to shell out on an incredibly expensive pair of designer plastic flip flops ....since jo mentioned no other clothing, i assume she 'went native', bar shoes. (probably a good idea in the circumstances, tedium-wise, it's good to have a talking point, but chilly on the way home presumably). however, this was my only media encounter with the jubilee........... and was more than enough.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                            I only caught the last half hour or so - I'm now told there were some nicer ones earlier on.
                            It is rather fine.
                            [Courtesy Sky News, apparently. Oh, well, Chablis is Chablis when all's said and done ]

I don't know the history of this vessel - was it built especially for the Jubilee?

(Reminds me of Salad Days: "The barge she sat in was of burnished gold." Better not continue beyond that point )

Comment

• Anna

I don't have HD TV but it was strange how, flicking between BBC and Sky News, the BBC picture was strangely fuzzy and poor sound quality? Didn't realise ITV were covering it.

The BBC seem to have lost it completely over the Jubilee celebrations. Not referring to St Pauls but afterwards, journey from there to Mansion House and on to Westminster Hall. Sky had excellent commentary from Alastair Bruce, a complete potted history of buildings, history of Black Rod, Chamberlain, etc., and they stuck with outside scenes, again history of Livery Companies, uniforms, regiments, difference between Yeoman of the Guard and Yeoman Warders, etc., etc. After Queen had returned to Palace I went back to BBC, they had Fearne Cotton interviewing Paloma Faith in St. James Park about drag queens, followed by pre-recorded David Walliams. Back to Sky and again they'd stuck with remainder of troops returning to base and remained free of studio guests.

It's what people want, on a State occasion, horses, soldiers, swords, history, pomp and ceremony (and I'm thinking particularly of overseas visitors who, I imagine, have no interest in Paloma Faith or D. Walliams or drag queens but would like to see the ceremonial stuff that we do so well) Just to clarify, I don't subscribe to Sky, I have their news as I have FreeSat, and I wasn't watching because I'm a sad Monarchist, but it's a Bank Holiday, cold, and tipping down with rain!
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-06-12, 16:34.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                I don't have HD TV but it was strange how, flicking between BBC and Sky News, the BBC picture was strangely fuzzy and poor sound quality? Didn't realise ITV were covering it.

The BBC seem to have lost it completely over the Jubilee celebrations. Not referring to St Pauls but afterwards, journey from there to Mansion House and on to Westminster Hall. Sky had excellent commentary from Alastair Bruce, a complete potted history of buildings, history of Black Rod, Chamberlain, etc., and they stuck with outside scenes, again history of Livery Companies, uniforms, regiments, difference between Yeoman of the Guard and Yeoman Warders, etc., etc. After Queen had returned to Palace I went back to BBC, they had Fearne Cotton interviewing Paloma Faith in St. James Park about drag queens, followed by pre-recorded David Walliams. Back to Sky and again they'd stuck with remainder of troops returning to base and remained free of studio guests.
                                ITV had the additional benefit of David Starkey talking passionately and amusingly about anointment etc. Much better. And yes, the pictures and sound were far superior. Didn't try SkyNews (like you I'm on freeview)...

Comment

Working...
                                X