Turning-point for the BBC? - the new DG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Northender

I enjoyed it - the tennis on ITV1/ITV4, that is.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
      I enjoyed it - the tennis on ITV1/ITV4, that is.
      We spent a pleasant afternoon at a nearby National Garden Scheme garden which was open for charity (Amnesty International) and amazingly the rain held off.

PS I gather the reason why so many people were travelling by boat that day was that all the roads were closed.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

But a jubilee without the pistols ?
        is like Burns night without a dram

Comment

• Anna

I imagine the reasoning at the BBC was that coverage started at 1.30 and how were they to keep viewers interested in boats chugging down river at 5mph without introducing the chatty Celeb element. A great opportunity was lost, they could have found someone knowledgeable to talk about the history of the different crafts, history of the bridges, landmarks of the Thames, etc., etc., surely the whole pageant was about the flotilla and the river, and, something else they seemed to miss, the music, which was totally neglected. There was absolutely no need to keep cutting away from the river and focus on D-list celebrities or Jubilee babies (that really was a low point) I intend to watch some of the coach procession and service tomorrow but I'm afraid I'll probably, much as it pains me to say, watch the coverage on Sky.

I do hope as many people as possible complain online but I somehow doubt the BBC will revise their dumbing down stance in the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

To reiterate: when DOES the DG step down?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              I imagine the reasoning at the BBC was that coverage started at 1.30 and how were they to keep viewers interested in boats chugging down river at 5mph without introducing the chatty Celeb element. A great opportunity was lost, they could have found someone knowledgeable to talk about the history of the different crafts, history of the bridges, landmarks of the Thames, etc., etc., surely the whole pageant was about the flotilla and the river, and, something else they seemed to miss, the music, which was totally neglected. There was absolutely no need to keep cutting away from the river and focus on D-list celebrities or Jubilee babies (that really was a low point)

Exactly, Anna, I couldn't agree more... and it's precisely the same mentality that leads them to think that the poor weak-brained (morning) listeners wont be able to stay interested in that difficult classical music without repetition of pot-boilers and chat about sheds and mystery voices...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                To reiterate: when DOES the DG step down?
                'In the autumn.'
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I can hold out that long - I gotta whole loada tapes from when Radio 3 really was Radio 3 to hold me over.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Exactly, Anna, I couldn't agree more... and it's precisely the same mentality that leads them to think that the poor weak-brained (morning) listeners wont be able to stay interested in that difficult classical music without repetition of pot-boilers and chat about sheds and mystery voices...

Part of the burgeoning, patronising mindset that is terrified of trusting its audience, part of the instinct to, on the one hand, separate audiences into specific bundles - the unlettered and new-to-classical-music, the compulsive, inveterate tweeter and Facebooker, those dazed by D-list slebs, hanging on their every word as they choose banal pieces of music and wrap it up in evasive waffle - and those with a lifelong hunger NOT to be patronised, but fed. In pursuit of that agenda, make hitherto respected and credibly knowledgeable presenters into vacuous gushers. Think Tony Scotland, John Shea, Cormac Rigby, Jonathan Swain, and the much-lamented and enforced banality-subverted Rob Cowan. Martin Handley and Catherine Bott have managed to survive, AMcG has slipped sadly and ever faster into 'Gramophone-ese' cliches and platitudes.

The BBC in Radio 3 have of late, i.e. the last five to eight years, been responsible for a radically, reductionist, and systematic undermining and re-interpreting of their own remit, and imposing a de-construction of the power of culture to create unmediated wonder. The have made culture into cornflakes.

Did anyone ever imagine ten years ago that Sky Arts would have worked to create a portfolio of serious music, opera that would rival, indeed eclipse, much of what the BBC offer? Because sure as heck, I didn't.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I can hold out that long - I gotta whole loada tapes from when Radio 3 really was Radio 3 to hold me over.

Load them onto Youtube to shame the dullards, S_A!!

Mr Nicely Nicely of Sue, Grabbit and Runne tells me that now I have to trype "That was obviously a joke, S_A"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Load them onto Youtube to shame the dullards, S_A!!

Mr Nicely Nicely of Sue, Grabbit and Runne tells me that now I have to trype "That was obviously a joke, S_A"
                        This is obviously a joke, ams. Nearly all of it.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          Part of the burgeoning, patronising mindset that is terrified of trusting its audience, part of the instinct to, on the one hand, separate audiences into specific bundles - the unlettered and new-to-classical-music, the compulsive, inveterate tweeter and Facebooker, those dazed by D-list slebs, hanging on their every word as they choose banal pieces of music and wrap it up in evasive waffle - and those with a lifelong hunger NOT to be patronised, but fed. In pursuit of that agenda, make hitherto respected and credibly knowledgeable presenters into vacuous gushers. Think Tony Scotland, John Shea, Cormac Rigby, Jonathan Swain, and the much-lamented and enforced banality-subverted Rob Cowan. Martin Handley and Catherine Bott have managed to survive, AMcG has slipped sadly and ever faster into 'Gramophone-ese' cliches and platitudes.

The BBC in Radio 3 have of late, i.e. the last five to eight years, been responsible for a radically, reductionist, and systematic undermining and re-interpreting of their own remit, and imposing a de-construction of the power of culture to create unmediated wonder. The have made culture into cornflakes.

Did anyone ever imagine ten years ago that Sky Arts would have worked to create a portfolio of serious music, opera that would rival, indeed eclipse, much of what the BBC offer? Because sure as heck, I didn't.
                          BRAVISSIMO, Draco!!!

Nominated for Rant of the Day!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Woo-hoo DracoM

I wonder, would you mind if I had that tattooed on my torso? - I can't afford a larger billboard
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-06-12, 22:54. Reason: colour me blue

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              Apart from anything else, I was bitterly disappointed to see only a misty long shot of about ten seconds of the barge carrying The Academy of Ancient Music playing Handel. What a let-down.
                              Yes. That was a real missed opportunity. It was shamefull how badly the AoAM was treated.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                But a jubilee without the pistols ?
                                is like Burns night without a dram
                                My thoughts exactly!!

Comment

Working...
                                X