Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
    Your point presumably being that she should stick to being a deejay?
    I thought I would sail it and see which way it went. David Jacobs is 25th with 44 appearances.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

The late David Jacobs presented "Top of the Pops" and chaired "Any Questions".

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        Yes. These things change over time. Could I imagine David Jacobs once being on a Jubilee programme? Yes. Alan Freeman? No. Some of the others are borderline. What if it had been Sir Jim in the park doing his bit for charity?

I haven't changed my mind. It is not Fearne's accent but the fact that the You Tube clips show her having a makeover, going to breakfast with Moylesie, milking a cow. Even Dave Lee Travis would have stopped short at engaging in such things. I don't blame her. She was a tiny component in the production and no doubt did her best. It is the programme planners who were clueless.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-06-12, 19:07.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          Methinks the gent doth protest too much....

I wasn't protesting .........
          have your boat thing if that's your bag
          but don't make out that it's somehow "bringing us all together" or even be surprised that it doesn't make good television

maybe it's time for a Peestyle flounce ?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
            I thought I would sail it and see which way it went.
            I have a feeling it's destined to sink without trace.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

but don't make out that it's somehow "bringing us all together" or even be surprised that it doesn't make good television
              Whilst I would not dream of suggesting that it was bringing anything or anyone "together", it could - as I wrote previously - have made better television than it did, irrespective of viewers' levels of interest in flotillas on the Thames, the monarchy, the Jubilee or even the BBC...

maybe it's time for a Peestyle flounce ?
              Is that broadly the same as "freestyle" and, if so, would that have involved swimming in the Thames in between all those boats? - and do you really think that it's time for such a flounce or do you just have a sinking feeling that one is in any case less than a nautical mile away?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Nah - it doesn't float my boat....

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  I am pleased to advise that David Jacobs CBE is still very much with us, and turned 86 on his recent birthday on 19 May 2012

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Meantime, this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18385397
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Christopher Bland: "The idea that it should have any bearing on who should be the next director general is laughable. We are not talking about appointing a football manager. No single programme can ever decide who becomes the next director general." That's a very odd thing to say; surely nobody would appoint a football manager on the basis of one match? (I suppose one match might tilt the balance in someone's favour, but that's rather different). I don't think he's correct.

It depends. If it means they look generally at whether the BBC needs to move back from its bubblegum approach across programming, then fine. If it means the BBC will employ someone committed to heritage TV and deep respect for the great and powerful of the land, I don't think that's desirable in any way (except for the great and powerful of the land, of course).

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
                        Christopher Bland: "The idea that it should have any bearing on who should be the next director general is laughable. We are not talking about appointing a football manager. No single programme can ever decide who becomes the next director general." That's a very odd thing to say; surely nobody would appoint a football manager on the basis of one match? (I suppose one match might tilt the balance in someone's favour, but that's rather different). I don't think he's correct.

It depends. If it means they look generally at whether the BBC needs to move back from its bubblegum approach across programming, then fine. If it means the BBC will employ someone committed to heritage TV and deep respect for the great and powerful of the land, I don't think that's desirable in any way (except for the great and powerful of the land, of course).
                        I quoted that comment on the D-G thread, with the same reaction. It's not the 'single programme' that matters, but what it reveals about the BBC's approach to 'serving the nation'.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          I quoted that comment on the D-G thread, with the same reaction. It's not the 'single programme' that matters, but what it reveals about the BBC's approach to 'serving the nation'.
                          Sort of, like . It's also what 'serving the nation' is taken to mean.

Comment

• amateur51

I've been looking for a comprehensive phrase for the current BBC approach js, and this fits the bill pretty well - is it original and if so please may I quote it?

Comment

• JohnSkelton

To the best of my knowledge it's all my own work . You're very welcome to use it .

Comment

• amateur51

To the best of my knowledge it's all my own work . You're very welcome to use it .
                                I like it! I like it a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X