Is anyone going to the Derby at Epsom Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Is anyone going to the Derby at Epsom Today?

My father's family lived in Epsom, so when young I often attended Spring Meetings and, of course, the Derby.

I think the last time I went to the Derby was in Coronation year 1953, when the great Gordon Richards beat the Queen's horse to win on Pinza. His first Derby win after years of trying.

I know we have a few racing fans [or betting fans] on the boards. Any memories to share.

By the way, my 10p, two shilling bets never made me a penny in winnings but a great day out.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Clips of that 1953 Derby have already been shown on TV this morning and that must be a very special memory for you.

I was born three days after Lester Piggott won his first Derby in 1954 so the race, like D-Day celebrations, is a constant reminder to me of the passing of the years. I've never been to Epsom but it's on my 'do-before-you-pop-your-clogs' list.

All the talk is of Camelot to win this afternoon but as it's not a betting proposition I've had a tenner on Main Sequence and an each way punt on Thought Worthy. My record with Derby winners is pretty good so we'll see.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I'm afraid that going to a horse race would be on my list of things I wouldn't do if they paid me.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Well, as I understand it, at least one person will be going, but I won't be joining her, since attending horse races holds just about as much interest for me as it does for VodkaDilc...

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Clips of that 1953 Derby have already been shown on TV this morning and that must be a very special memory for you.

I was born three days after Lester Piggott won his first Derby in 1954 so the race, like D-Day celebrations, is a constant reminder to me of the passing of the years. I've never been to Epsom but it's on my 'do-before-you-pop-your-clogs' list.

All the talk is of Camelot to win this afternoon but as it's not a betting proposition I've had a tenner on Main Sequence and an each way punt on Thought Worthy. My record with Derby winners is pretty good so we'll see.

Morning Petrushka, no I haven't seen any TV but must look for that Derby clip. I don't bet as I never win anything. My big disappointment at that Derby, was when my Royal Photos caught both the front and back of their car, the middle bit was not there

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Well the odds on favourite Camelot won. I only went once. In 1973, my best mate and his mother turned up in their car unexpectedly and said "come on we're all going to the Derby". So we went, them, me, my Mum and my Nan who was then 83 and really thrilled by the surprise. Being 10 then, my memory is hazy. But what I do know is that my friend's mother was renowned for her luck with money and, with characteristic spontaneity, threw a huge amount of cash on a horse called Morston. It won at 25-1 and to this day is regarded as one of the least impressive Derby winners. Shortly afterwards it became injured and was retired.

This short film somehow really captures a feeling of Britain nearly 40 years ago

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICmsa59uHss

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              Well the odds on favourite Camelot won. I only went once. In 1973, my best mate and his mother turned up in their car unexpectedly and said "come on we're all going to the Derby". So we went, them, me, my Mum and my Nan who was then 83 and really thrilled by the surprise. Being 10 then, my memory is hazy. But what I do know is that my friend's mother was renowned for her luck with money and, with characteristic spontaneity, threw a huge amount of cash on a horse called Morston. It won at 25-1 and to this day is regarded as one of the least impressive Derby winners. Shortly afterwards it became injured and was retired.

This short film somehow really captures a feeling of Britain nearly 40 years ago

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICmsa59uHss
              Great clip, Lats. Day after my 19th birthday in what was a particularly fine summer, a precursor to the even better 1975/6 summers. Real nostalgia there seeing the cars, the dress and hairstyles of those days. The Derby was always run on a Wednesday at that time and the move to Saturday came only quite recently.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Great clip, Lats. Day after my 19th birthday in what was a particularly fine summer, a precursor to the even better 1975/6 summers. Real nostalgia there seeing the cars, the dress and hairstyles of those days. The Derby was always run on a Wednesday at that time and the move to Saturday came only quite recently.
                Thank you Petrushka.

Yes, it was certainly on a Wednesday and I agree about the nostalgia. I had forgotten that the summer of 1973 was hot. My only trip to Scotland and it was absolutely nothing like typical Scottish weather. 1976 was, of course, exceptional.

A pity that the weather isn't as good today.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Yes thanks Lat1 for that film. Were the gipsies still there in 1973? The fortune tellers and fairground were an added attraction and a wonderful Black man in costume, known as Prince Monalulu, calling 'I gotta horse' who was known as the 'dusky prophet'. As I said earlier, a good day out, ending with a meal at the Down's Hotel.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    Yes thanks Lat1 for that film. Were the gipsies still there in 1973? The fortune tellers and fairground were an added attraction and a wonderful Black man in costume, known as Prince Monalulu, calling 'I gotta horse' who was known as the 'dusky prophet'. As I said earlier, a good day out, ending with a meal at the Down's Hotel.
                    salymap - Yes the gipsies were there and still attend. I like these photos and they might interest you too -

Family members used to speak with affection about Prince Monalulu. I have discovered that he died in 1965, the month after Churchill. This is a really interesting article about him but his background was quite complicated - not at all dislikeable but he created his own myths so no one should read it if they want to remember him as he presented himself.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks for that Lat 1. Colourful in every way. saly

Comment

Working...
                      X