X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hitch
    • Nov 2010

The Open Goldberg Variations

If you'd like a free new recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations, please download Kimiko Ishizaka's rendering, released under a Creative Commons Zero licence. The recording is freely and legally available to download, copy and share. It's available in the usual mp3 format and also lossless FLAC files. There is also a brand new score to download for free. Bravo!

• Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
    If you'd like a free new recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations, please download Kimiko Ishizaka's rendering, released under a Creative Commons Zero licence. The recording is freely and legally available to download, copy and share. It's available in the usual mp3 format and also lossless FLAC files. There is also a brand new score to download for free. Bravo!

Should be a powerful performance, given her weight-lifting accomplishments.

The 96/24 FLAC downloaded fine but FLAC Frontend was not happy with the Aria recap file, so had to convert that last 'track' to WAV with WinAmp instead. Now burning the 96/24 WAVs to an audio DVD with Audio DVD Creator. Could take a while.
    Last edited by Bryn; 30-05-12, 00:51. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Gordon
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Should be a powerful performance, given her weight-lifting accomplishments.

The 96/24 FLAC downloaded fine but FLAC Frontend was not happy with the Aria recap file, so had to convert that last 'track' to WAV with WinAmp instead. Now burning the 96/24 WAVs to an audio DVD with Audio DVD Creator. Could take a while.
      I'm a sucker for Goldbergs so thanks for this Hitch. I'm well over 50 versions to date [some of which on zither, accordion, wind band not to mention harp]!! The MP3 files are all fine, all but 1 at well over 500kBit/s. The opening aria for some reason reports in at 402. Listening on headphones I can hear no artifacts. A few lumps at movement changes on my computer's WM9. I don't have the patience to downoad the whole 1.4Gbyte FLAC file.

Performance OK, arias a bit too slow, but will not top the list because it lacks a certain charm and flexibility in the playing. At about 80 minutes it'll just fit a CD. I always look for a good sprightly peasant like dance for the Quodlibet given its melodic content but this one's a bit staid. Black pearl better than most of the other movements and the following one also not bad. But what do I know, she plays it better than I can!

Good to have the score though so full marks for that. Whatvever happened to those interactive CDs that used to give that sort of thing? I've still got a few of those.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
        Chanced across the following which may be a useful way for young musicians reaching new audiences.

The Open Goldberg Variations by Kimiko Ishizaka are free to download and share. They are governed by the Creative Commons Zero license, which means that they are a part of the public domain.

http://www.classicalnext.com/delegates/who_is_coming
        *cough* *cough*
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
        X