X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Heat stroke!

In spite of every effort to moderate it, the temperature in my living room has reached nearly 80 degrees. I could use a noisy fan, but it would probably just stir things a bit.
    I'm a fairly critical listener to my sound system, and I've noticed that, particularly on CD, the quality has developed a curious overhang in the bass,with lack of clarity and a soupy response.
    I wonder, how much does temperature affect quality? Is it over-warm electronics, or does the different sound conductivity of warm air change the sound propagation in some way? At work I operated in an air conditioned studio environment, and never noticed any adverse effects, but perhaps it's simply subjective reaction to discomfort.

Any comments ?
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    In spite of every effort to moderate it, the temperature in my living room has reached nearly 80 degrees. I could use a noisy fan, but it would probably just stir things a bit.
    I'm a fairly critical listener to my sound system, and I've noticed that, particularly on CD, the quality has developed a curious overhang in the bass,with lack of clarity and a soupy response.
    I wonder, how much does temperature affect quality? Is it over-warm electronics, or does the different sound conductivity of warm air change the sound propagation in some way? At work I operated in an air conditioned studio environment, and never noticed any adverse effects, but perhaps it's simply subjective reaction to discomfort.

Any comments ?
    I can't help there, Ferret, sorry. However, one thing that I have noticed during this hot weather is that room resonance is strongly affected by opening windows - a lot of sound escapes, like heat on a cold day. I was tempted to turn up the volume in order to compensate, but didn't wish to disturb the neighbours.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Thankfull, it never gets that hot here on the East Coast!

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post

Any comments ?
        80 F or about 26C is quite cold. Wait till it gets to 40C (about 96F). Most concert halls/theatres are at about 30C (86 F).

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          ...is strongly affected by opening windows - a lot of sound escapes.
          A couple of years ago an acquaintance in the village said he had no idea that I was such a fine pianist, Hammerklavier a couple of nights ago wasn't it? It was but it was Emil Gilels not me. I was rather pleased at first then realised it was a courteus way of telling me to stop that awful racket. Sorry to be off topic.
          Last edited by Guest; 28-05-12, 19:59.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

The speed of sound is affected by temperature
            and not evenly across all frequencies
            I seem to remember hearing a lecture about this at an electroacoustic music conference with some research (REAL research not glossy photos of Corgis !) into how one could design delay into crossover networks to account for this in large venues .............

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
              80 F or about 26C is quite cold.
              it was that temp in Peel middle of last week with the evening sun into my living room - stone walls hold the heat for a quite a bit as well so temp built up over a few days - opening windows lets in noise esp motorbikes but didn't notice any major deterioration of sound quality - moving coil PMC1 speakers - find that very dry weather one of my by now 30+ yr old quads (these are in UK) can crackle with ES discharge - usually cured by blasting any dust away from internal powersupply using an air brush.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                I seem to remember hearing a lecture about this at an electroacoustic music conference with some research (REAL research not glossy photos of Corgis !) into how one could design delay into crossover networks to account for this in large venues .............
                Agreed Mr GG - I'm against Corgis in research (and Beagles).

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  That's why Heifetz played a bit slower when it got over 86F - so that the notes remained in the right order ...

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                    That's why Heifetz played a bit slower when it got over 86F - so that the notes remained in the right order ...
                    That was probably why Eric Morecambe had a problem with Mr Preview!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Certainly, the chapel at work, gets quite hot when at full capacity, otherwise it'snormal temperature. I sit there on my own sometimes to contemplate and it still quite warm(when the weather allows it!)
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                        Agreed Mr GG - I'm against Corgis in research.
                        I'm against too! I would not mind them using the queen in medical research though, and would probably prove some useful facts about the colour of her blood.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                          That was probably why Eric Morecambe had a problem with Mr Preview!!
                          No that was because he wasn't such a hot pianist!

Comment

• umslopogaas
                            • Nov 2010

My Quad 33/405 amp spent 11 years in the lowlands of Papua New Guinea in the late 70s/early 80s, helping me to play LPs every evening, and seems no worse for the experience, though when I had it serviced by Quad on my return to the UK they did say the interior was "rather corroded". I no longer use it, except as a spare: last time I set it up a year or two ago, it worked fine. I dont think those temperatures (daily max was around 33 C, though by the early evening when I started to play music, it was probably in the upper twenties) had any effect at all, but the relative humidity, which was infallibly 100% by around six o'clock, might have done. But hats off to Quad, that's a quality product.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Some simple English Integrateds also seem to have remarkable longevity, climactically affected or not.

Mum uses my old QED A240 amp in her bedroom, its around 21 years old, works perfectly, never serviced; hooked up to a pair of Wharfedale 505.2s of a similar vintage....

Arcam still service the first amp they ever made too.

Comment

Working...
                              X