X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born
    • Oct 2024

What is a Host?

I must admit I hadn't really thought much about Hosts until one recently started a disgracefully childish and venomous thread deriving amusement from the misfortune that has come to afflict Petroc Trelawny. A second host then posted equally unsympatethic messages, only to apparently amend and then remove them, which action was accompanied by some rather pompous legalistic mumbo-jumbo.
    It might be helpful if we all could be reminded of precisely what Hosts are supposed to do and what qualities they need to display (or not).
  • Beef Oven

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    I must admit I hadn't really thought much about Hosts until one recently started a disgracefully childish and venomous thread deriving amusement from the misfortune that has come to afflict Petroc Trelawny. A second host then posted equally unsympatethic messages, only to apparently amend and then remove them, which action was accompanied by some rather pompous legalistic mumbo-jumbo.
    It might be helpful if we all could be reminded of precisely what Hosts are supposed to do and what qualities they need to display (or not).
    You are seriously overreacting. Grow up.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      You are seriously overreacting. Grow up.
      No, I don't think Norfolk Born is over-reacting at all. The thread that was begun by a Host expressing hilarity at PT's detention was one of the most distasteful I have seen on these boards. That thread and another were fairly swiftly removed by FF, however earlier today a couple of messages were posted by the same host that still seemed to make light of the situation, although less crassly than in the earlier thread.

I think Norfolk Born raises a valid point- what exactly are the duties and responsibilites of hosts? And should they not set certain standards for the board as whole?
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        No, I don't think Norfolk Born is over-reacting at all. The thread that was begun by a Host expressing hilarity at PT's detention was one of the most distasteful I have seen on these boards. That thread and another were fairly swiftly removed by FF, however earlier today a couple of messages were posted by the same host that still seemed to make light of the situation, although less crassly than in the earlier thread.

I think Norfolk Born raises a valid point- what exactly are the duties and responsibilites of hosts? And should they not set certain standards for the board as whole?
        I hope PT doesn't read all this when he gets back. He'll think we're a bunch of tossers. We failed. We were unable to wish him well and discretely deal with any inappropriate posts. The negative vibe has won the day.

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
          I hope PT doesn't read all this when he gets back. He'll think we're a bunch of tossers. We failed. We were unable to wish him well and discretely deal with any inappropriate posts. The negative vibe has won the day.
          Right, so you'd rather he read the inappropriate posts without seeing that most of us here found them disgraceful?
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

The main duty of Hosts is to keep the boards for which they have responsibility going with discussion topics and particularly to draw attention to the broadcast and forthcoming programmes on Radio 3 likely to be of interest to those who contribute to those specific boards. They have no moderating role.

Hosts, moderator, administrators and members are just human beings and we all step out of line and fall out with people.

I'm not in favour of threads which target individuals. Comments and complaints about the running of the boards should be made to me by PM.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Right, so you'd rather he read the inappropriate posts without seeing that most of us here found them disgraceful?
              Mr Pee, please note that there are 39 replies to date in the other thread on this subject, so I think that it would be pretty obvious to most of us whe the generality of sympathies lie.

Comment

• Beef Oven

You have missed the point completely. 'Deal with inappropriate posts discretely' is what I said. Instead we have erected huge sign-posts to them; amplified them in an orgy of self-righteous holier than thoughness.

In short, we care more about shouting out our indignation and scorn, than we do about what has happened to poor PT. It's all about US not PT. You don't get it though, do you?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I've answered the original question. Any other points to be made to me by PM.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                  X