• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Will Self - A Point of View

The Queen's Jubilee thread seems to have become temporarily side-tracked by fruits de mer. I'm sure ther's a connection somewhere, but I haven't time to read all the posts to find the link. However if a small antidote to Jubileemania is needed, try:

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    The Queen's Jubilee thread seems to have become temporarily side-tracked by fruits de mer. I'm sure ther's a connection somewhere, but I haven't time to read all the posts to find the link. However if a small antidote to Jubileemania is needed, try:

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

And such a relief he is, coming after the morning service like a breath of fresh air. (That said, admittedly I did rather enjoy this morning's service, containing as it did some decent music for a change, and less of the usual verbal twaddle).

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I did rather enjoy this morning's service, containing as it did some decent music for a change, and less of the usual verbal twaddle
      I did too as a matter of fact. It's not my usual fare, but the mixed voice choir sang well and the sermon...things I usually avoid like the plague....grabbed my attention.

But Will Self had Mrs A. and me spluttering with mirth into our Sunday morning cuppa.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

And such a relief he is, coming after the morning service like a breath of fresh air. (That said, admittedly I did rather enjoy this morning's service, containing as it did some decent music for a change, and less of the usual verbal twaddle).
        Great stuff
        the sooner we get the postwoman instead of Liz the better

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          Great stuff
          the sooner we get the postwoman instead of Liz the better
          We have two great postwomen do the regular round here. One day she turned up, with a No 1 crewcut. "How's the leg?" I asked her, not mentioning the change of hairstyle. "Oh, much better now, thanks", she said in a matter-of-fact way. Then the next day the first postwoman turned up - the one who had complained of a bad leg........ the second was a case of mistaken identity on my part!!!

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Ironic that it's The ROYAL Mail. The recent fat increasre in postal charges is just fattening the whole thing up for privatisation...and then we'll lose our loyal, friendly, helpful post-people.

Comment

• decantor
              • Dec 2010

My postie for my first eight years at this address was wonderful beyond description. When he retired three years ago to climb Munros, I thought I would never see his like again. His young, ginger-stubbled successor has proved to be his match at every level, with many personal favours already to his credit. Come Christmas, I shell out happily - buckets of cash and gratitude.

That Will Self should rise to toast these essential friends but not Her Madge is, I suppose, typical of the inverted snobbery of a contrarian. That he should wish to lumber them with the thankless, flesh-pressing inanities of duty as Head of State is unwarranted cruelty to a fine breed. I think we are lucky to have a family prepared to perform these ritual functions for generation after generation: the best would not want the job, the worst would make a hash of it, and God preserve us from more elected ego-tripping officials. Yes, Mr Self has an amusing way with words - but did he really pronounce mores as 'maws'?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by decantor View Post
                His young, ginger-stubbled successor has proved to be his match at every level, with many personal favours already to his credit.
                The postman always rings twice?

Comment

• Vile Consort
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  Ironic that it's The ROYAL Mail. The recent fat increasre in postal charges is just fattening the whole thing up for privatisation...and then we'll lose our loyal, friendly, helpful post-people.
                  Hardly fattening it up - more like trying to slow the anorexic rate of weight loss. And it seems to me that friendly and helpful post-people are a thing of a bygone age. They are being pushed very hard to get round as fast as possible and haven't got the time to fraternise with the natives.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

but did he really pronounce mores as 'maws'?
                    Oh that's what the word was. I was puzzled when he used it.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

He said 'Marm' too!

Comment

Working...
                      X