Get back soon, Petroc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Thank you for the update Dover Soul. My understanding is that Petroc's medical history includes long term problems with that shoulder. Consequently a jolt from slipping has dislocated it. I think we might find positives in the fact that he is receiving medical treatment. It suggests that there is an ability there to support him medically and the motivation to do it.

That is not necessarily as straightforward as it sounds. In 2009, three of the four hospitals in Harare were closed because of economic hardship, the burden of HIV/AIDS which has impacts on 25% of the population and inability to cope with a cholera epidemic. Fortunately the cholera is now more under control, hospital beds are not quite as scarce and the economy is improving. In November 2010, the IMF described the Zimbabwean economy as "completing its second year of buoyant economic growth". It is still the case that one of the main hospitals in Harare is suffering from a severe shortage of water.

There have also been improvements to human rights since 2009 when, among other things, a ban on certain TV organizations was lifted. However, Amnesty reports a setback in March 2012. There was at that time a decision to convict and sentence six activists for organising a video screening entitled "Revolt in Egypt and Tunisia - What lessons can be learnt by Zimbabwe and Africa?". The penalty was 420 hours of community service and a £317 fine. This has been described by Amnesty as, quote, "a heavy penalty by Zimbabwean standards" but then those involved were found guilty of “conspiracy to commit public violence”.

By contrast, in Petroc's case there is simply a work permit muddle. Some sources report that the British Embassy is working closely with the Zimbabwean authorities towards a speedy and satisfactory outcome and that we might have some further news today.

Hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by Guest; 30-05-12, 20:56. Reason: For everyone who would rather listen to Petroc than John Humphrys and others too

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Lateralthinking1
      I think it will be better if we leave out from this thread any political or human rights issues regarding Zimbabwe, or any other issues for that matter, until Petroc is safely home.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        Lateralthinking1
        I think it will be better if we leave out from this thread any political or human rights issues regarding Zimbabwe, or any other issues for that matter, until Petroc is safely home.
        Well, with respect, people have been writing consistently about how dark Zimbabwe is since Saturday. The picture that has been painted - "terrible place", "very worrying" - has been very black. My point remains, as then, that it is unhelpful to approach this matter in that way as it is not the full picture.

If we are to comment fairly, rather than making capital for whatever reason, it is best to quote sources and provide facts. Amnesty. The British Embassy. The IOC. Some basic, balanced, facts are the best way here to address any understandable tabloid instincts.

The economy there has improved in recent years, the medics are doing their best in unimaginable circumstances and there have been some identifiable improvements to human rights. We also have knowledge about the penalties for making a film encouraging riots and that was a completely different situation. Hence we have useful context to place worries in perspective.
        Last edited by Guest; 30-05-12, 21:01.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Personally I think this situation will resolve itself. The matter of the permit in question, I am sure will be dealt with appropriately, especially now that PT is in holkspital and not in a police cell!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Personally I think this situation will resolve itself. The matter of the permit in question, I am sure will be dealt with appropriately, especially now that PT is in holkspital and not in a police cell!
            Yes indeed. For anyone who is interested, the music performed in the festival was -

Schubert: Fantasy in C for violin and piano, Variations on Trockne Blumen for flute and piano, Wanderer Fantasy and Death and the Maiden Quartet
            A concertos concert (C.P.E.Bach: Flute Concerto in D minor, Mozart: Piano Concerto No.12 in A major, K414, Vivaldi: Guitar Concerto in D major, RV93 and Saint-Saëns: The Carnival of the Animals)
            Several piano quintets (Dohnanyi: No.1, Schumann, Shostakovich and Leslie Howard)
            Orff: Carmina Burana
            The Mendelssohn Octet
            A specially commissioned piece
            Plus jazz, folk and local music

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french franc
              This is the get well, Petroc: hope to see you safely back soon thread.
              This thread is not for commenting on the situation, fairly or otherwise, and what the concert was like is, at least for the moment, irrelevant.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Yes I agree doversoul - let's just keep fingers crossed until outcome of hearing is known.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                  Originally posted by french franc

This thread is not for commenting on the situation, fairly or otherwise, and what the concert was like is, at least for the moment, irrelevant.
                  I am disappointed that you should seek to perpetuate this aspect. I am sure you mean well but it is difficult to assess what you hope to achieve. Your post this morning reiterated earlier ones on the thread from other people referring to Petroc's unfortunate accident. It was not restricted to good wishes about his welfare.

The subsequent editing of the article to which you now refer in that post has also been accompanied by appropriate editing to the post itself but you don't say so. In that post, you had placed emphasis on the concerns about that moment two days ago and seized on the suggestion that prisoners had been involved. By contrast, in earlier posts from others, there was contextual comment about the accidental nature of what had occurred.

The details of the concert are not irrelevant. They are not speculation. They are fact. They are the reason why Petroc was there. He clearly believes in cultural co-operation with ordinary people, as many of us do, rather than writhing in fear. I do agree though that there is no useful purpose in going further from this point onwards other than wishing him the very best. The same was true at half past seven today.

Incidentally, there are some interesting comments from history among individuals who have taken a harsh line. One, for example, referred with alleged humour to "a dismembered Roger Wright" on the Breakfast on 3 thread. I was quite astonished by that when I read it.
                  Last edited by Guest; 28-05-12, 11:25.

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                    Well, with respect, people have been writing consistently about how dark Zimbabwe is since Saturday. The picture that has been painted - "terrible place", "very worrying" - has been very black. My point remains, as then, that it is unhelpful to approach this matter in that way as it is not the full picture etc etc.....
                    Now I'm speechless - probably a good thing, too.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

This is starting to remind me of the famous Frost Report sketch with Messrs. Clees, Barker and Corbett, with most us of us apparently being reminded that we are the short one and should therefore know our place.

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

Lateralthinking1
                        The subsequent editing of the article to which you now refer in that post has also been accompanied by appropriate editing to the post itself but you don't say so.

The details of the concert are not irrelevant. They are not speculation. They are fact. They are the reason why Petroc was there.
                        1. I do not know how to edit published articles.
                        2. This is the extract I copied form the article and pasted onto my post (#45) but I realised afterword that it was unnecessarily alarming when it was presented out of the context (of the entire article). The reason for deleting is stated in the post.
                        As he stepped over other prisoners in the overcrowded jail, Mr Trelawny tripped and fell, dislocating his shoulder and fracturing his arm.
                        3. I have no intention of ‘achieving’ anything other than to wish ‘get well, Petroc: hope to see you safely back soon’.
                        4. Why Petroc was there is in itself irrelevant at present.

I started this thread so that we could keep up with the news, and also in the hope that, somehow, Petroc would know that we were thinking of him. If you want to air your opinions about political and/or other issues, perhaps you could start a new thread without referring to Petroc.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                          Now I'm speechless - probably a good thing, too.
                          As am I.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Let us all step back a bit

Is it the same time in Zimbabwe as here? A couple of hours earlier? I can't find it on my time settings.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Is it the same time in Zimbabwe as here? A couple of hours earlier? I can't find it on my time settings.
                              Harare is one hour ahead of BST ff.

Comment

• PJPJ
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I think they're two hours ahead. [I remember phoning my parents at 10pm here, thinking it would be conveniently 8pm in SA, and discovering I'd woken my father at midnight.]

Edit: one hour now, two hours in the winter?

Comment

Working...
                                X