X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
    I see that The Observer describes PT as being "in his 40s". Is he really that old?
    40s? Old?

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      40s? Old?
      I don't mean it in that sense! He just looks and sounds younger than that - though, since he was a Classic FM original, he must have been around national radio for over 20 years, so 40s is probably right.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I heard him the other week on Radio 4's 'From Our Own Correspondent', filing a very interesting piece on the aftermath of the Irish financial crisis. (He worked for a time on Lyric FM, which may or may nor be pertinent).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
          Can we have a separate thread for people who find his predicament funny?
          I don't think anyone should be flippant unless and until Petroc arrives safely home in Britain.

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I don't think anyone should be flippant unless and until Petroc arrives safely home in Britain.

I am appalled that one or two members think this is even remotely funny.
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              :
              The fact that one is a Host makes it worse. Responsibilities come with the title.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post

Agreed. What's to laugh at?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I did suggest that a certain person might wish to delete his own contributions to the original thread (which he'd started), but he assured me that even if it was technically possible he probably wouldn't. Luckily, French Frank closed the offending thread anyway.
                  I agree 100% with osborn that Hosts, of all people, should realize that they have responsibilities, and shouldn't start threads that rely on poking fun at the misfortunes of others. But then, I don't know what qualities you have to have (or have to lack) to be a Host.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Can we have a seperate thread for people who care more about presenting the right front than they do about Petroc.

Speedy recovery and speedy return Petroc, we'll all rest easier when you're back.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                      Can we have a separate thread for people who care more about presenting the right front than they do about Petroc.

Speedy recovery and speedy return Petroc, we'll all rest easier when you're back.
                      I'm afraid this thread is going bickeringly the way of the last.

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

It seems this case may have political issues in the shadows. In any case this is the latest from the Daily Telegraph:

One of the event's organisers, Bruce McDonald, said Mr Trelawny was injured when he fell accidentally at the police station and dismissed suggestions that he was beaten. Zimbabwean police stations are notorious for their poor conditions. Allegations of beatings and torture are common.

Mr McDonald said Mr Trelawny had aggravated an existing shoulder injury during the fall. X Rays reveals he suffered a hairline crack.

Mr Trelawny has denied the charges against him. If the case against him proceeds Monday he will appear, in bandages, at the Bulawayo Magistrate's Court, and if found guilty, will be returned to police cells and then deported, probably to South Africa.

His lawyer Munyaradzi Ngaraypenga said: "We are hoping for an immediate resolution of this case and will be first checking with the Attorney General's office to ask for an opinion on whether it is even worth going to court, as Mr Trelawny was leaving Zimbabwe on Monday anyway. This matter could have been handled differently."

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

This is the get well, Petroc: hope to see you safely back soon thread.

Off-topic posts will moved elsewhere.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

The latest (7:30PM BST 27 May 2012)
                            I assume this is the same source as Oddball’s.

Petroc Trelawny, a BBC classical music presenter imprisoned by Zimbabwean authorities for allegedly 'working without a permit' was in the country doing charity work for underprivileged children when he was arrested, friends have said.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Terrible situation - good luck Petroc, godspeed home!

Anyone who's ever been stressed out abroad - someone tried to steal my suitcase on the Paris underground, just after I'd arrived, a nervous student, for the first time. I struggled to hang on to it, we ended up on the ground surrounded by people and officers... terrible! The whole exchange visit went downhill from there...

But if Petroc's taken the risk voluntarily, believes in the cause, he'll be strong through it I'm sure.

Comment

• doversoul1
                                Ex Member
                                • Dec 2010

The latest but no new development.
                                Monday 28 May 2012 00:00

[ed] I have deleted an extract from the article in case it would give a wrong impression out of context.
                                Last edited by doversoul1; 28-05-12, 09:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X