The sort of comments we could do without.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc
    • Oct 2024

The sort of comments we could do without.

The Guardian has an account of a 14-year-old conductor:

José Ángel Salazar, part of the country's successful El Sistema music programme, is not old enough to earn a wage, but the Youth Orchestra of Nueva Esparta is at his command

Describing the boy's early interest in music, the writer observes:

"I went to a brass concert with my dad and grandfather and I cried three times," he said. While most children his age would have wept from boredom, Salazar said he felt enraptured, as though he needed to be a part of what was going on. He dropped karate lessons and started learning the flute.

40+ years of teaching suggests that, in my experience, young children would love the immediacy of going to a brass concert. Do we need Guardian hacks to give the impression that such an experience would produce tears of boredom for "most children"?
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Quite. Such a comment could be made about most adults (sorry, Brassbandmaestro!) equally truthfully - or probably more truthfully. As you say, children are more open to new experiences, especially if they haven't been told that they wouldn't like it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Musical education is becoming more and more geared to this kind of attitude.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Musical education is becoming more and more geared to this kind of attitude.
        We made such strides during the last four decades - such a shame to see them being reversed.

I have sent an email to The Guardian Readers' Editor. If I get a response I will copy it here. (I expect something bland and meaningless!)

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Mr Rushbridger is a very keen pianist. He needs to improve the Guardian's guidelines, at least they have them!

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Well well! - where's our habitual Guardian- (and Guardian-reader-) bashing Mr Pee when you need him?!

I don't think that the paper's editor rushes his bridges, by the way...

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

There's nothing about the Murdochs & their rabble, or BSB, so the Pee remains silent.

Comment

Working...
              X