• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

The joy of having one's preferences validated by a higher authority

I experienced a little pulse of pleasure on a recent journey

The comprehensive Desert Island Disc podcast archive (every one since 1986 I think) as so often offered great treasure trove for travel listening.

This was particularly true of Andras Schiff's appearance in February 1999... and especially this exchange, which validated a personal antipathy (which I have paraded too often on this Forum perhaps ):

Sue Lawley: There are people you don't play because you don't like them?

Andras Schiff: Certainly, I'm very specific about this. First and foremost: Liszt. I can't stand Liszt. Not the person and not the music. And on the other hand, I'm fully aware of his importance and his significance and he probably was the greatest pianist ever... and I really can't stand the music!

I couldn't agree more with every word AS said. It makes me feel better about my big blind spot !

Anyone else had a similar pleasure?
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 16-05-12, 21:52.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• scottycelt

A higher authority ...? ... are you some kind of religious maniac? ...

I like Liszt ... which shows you the extent of Schiff's knowledge about music ... though I'd never claim to be an authority. even of the lowest kind.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

The comprehensive Desert Island Disc podcast archive (every one since 1986 I think) as so often offered great treasure trove for travel listening.

This was particularly true of Andras Schiff's appearance in February 1999... and especially this exchange, which validated a personal antipathy (which I have paraded too often on this Forum perhaps ):

Andras Schiff: Certainly, I'm very specific about this. First and foremost: Liszt. I can't stand Liszt. Not the person and not the music. And on the other hand, I'm fully aware of his importance and his significance and he probably was the greatest pianist ever... and I really can't stand the music!

I couldn't agree more with every word of what AS said. It makes me feel better about my big blind spot !

Wonder if he likes Sibelius ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        which shows you much Schiff knows about music ...
        No... hearing him play Bach, or Schubert, or Mozart.. or the Bartok piano concerto at the Proms last year: that's what shows you how much Schiff knows about music.

Comment

• Beef Oven

I couldn't agree more with every word of what AS said. It makes me feel better about my big blind spot !

Liszt is the dog's danglies! You and Schiff is well wrong!!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
            Liszt is the dog's danglies! You and Schiff is well wrong!!!

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2007

Actually, Schiff has recently started programming Liszt - he has accompanied cellists in Liszt's late works for this combination in concert.
              Make of that what you will.
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

No... hearing him play Bach, or Schubert, or Mozart.. or the Bartok piano concerto at the Proms last year: that's what shows you how much Schiff knows about music.
                Listening to his Guardian lectures on Beethoven give a fair idea of his musical, and musicological, knowledge, too:

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

I recall my views on Barbirolli's Mahler were getting me into hot
                  water on the old BBC board before the much respected Wilf suddenly appeared and
                  agreed that the conductors performances now sounded 'old fashioned'.

I quite like Schiff and (yet) I return to Liszt with increasing awe and affection.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Listening to his Guardian lectures on Beethoven give a fair idea of his musical, and musicological, knowledge, too:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classica...943867,00.html
                    Sorry ...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Andras Schiff also said, in the course of a TV documentary mainly about Schubert, that there was more drama in Schubert's Der Doppelganger than in an entire Wagner opera. I have enormous admiration for Schiff as a pianist and conductor, but he does have a habit of saying some rather odd things.

As ever, for wise words on the subjects of Liszt, Schubert, Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart (as well as impeccable pianism) I look to Brendel. There are a lot of balanced thoughts on the subject of Liszt scattered through the pages of The Veil of Order.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

I am the higher authority.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I meant to add that I do agree with Caliban's original proposition. Mr Brendel agrees with me entirely on the subject of Rachmaninov
                          I only see myself as a hero when I have to sit through Rachmaninov's third piano concerto

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            I am the higher authority.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              I meant to add that I do agree with Caliban's original proposition. Mr Brendel agrees with me entirely on the subject of Rachmaninov
                              Yes, the apparent validation of personal tastes was more the point of this thread. (It's not (just) about slagging Liszt off ).

(Great Brendel quote! And yet I love Rachmaninov!

I suspect Mr Schiff might also think his music's pants though... Or maybe not. I'd love to know.)

Comment

Working...
                              X