X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Life without television

About two or three weeks ago my TV decided to shed all channels and informed me "No signal". No idea what's happened but suspect squirrels may have had a go at the aerial cable. A bit surprised that I still don't miss the TV, not even Corrie (hello Caliban). Signs of old age? R3 having become a bit of an irritant there's now plenty of time to revisit my LP, tape and CD collection - and return to reading more books. Full circle?
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • amateur51

I'm very much the same, Pianorak. If I want to watch TV I go to the iPlayer - I thoroughly enjoy The Bridge

Otherwise as you say, it's books, IRR and CDs ... and Radio 3 when it's being sensible Radio 4 is a regular source of interesting programmes too

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Still in the Dark Ages here in Kent!

Four channels but does one buy a set top box for copious amounts of channels that one wouldn’t have time to watch, or does one save money and compose more 12 note pop tunes instead?

3VS
      Last edited by Guest; 16-05-12, 12:16. Reason: One's grammar is appaling

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

If you really want some good choices on the digital channels, you can easily avoid the dross. BBC Four has some of the best documentaries being made at the moment., and I wouldn't sniff at 5 USA for enjoyable crime series like Justified. There is also the advantage that with the right equipment you can record and edit, or even burn to DVD. I still use a CRT set because my Loewe model gives such good colour balance, but many flat screen TVs have improved hugely. Go on! Take the plunge!

I agree with you that Webern knew a good tune when he heard one.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
          Four channels . . .
          FOUR whole channels? I'd call that an embarrassment of riches! I think you'd do well to stay in the Dark Ages and get on with composing.

One's grammar is appaling.
          One's grammar is not appalling, but one's spelling needs attention.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

It's also one's typing that's apppaling!

I will stick to drawings here at work and my secretary can type these up for me

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
              . . . I will stick to drawings . . .
              I like your avatar - nice little aircraft. Let me know if you need a test pilot.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                I like your avatar - nice little aircraft. Let me know if you need a test pilot.
                I always thought it was a digitised pond-skater...

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I always thought it was a digitised pond-skater...
                  Nah -

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                    Signs of old age?
                    I've now been without for a staggering 16 years - when I moved house and decided not to have an aerial fixed to the roof, and therefore not to bring the family TV with me.

I've no problem with people feeling that TV still offers enough as to be 'indispensable' to them (even if less so than once). What is almost on the point of goading me into an Harrrumph is when 'people', usually of about 25+, are totally incapable of comprehending how anyone could possibly exist without a television ... When a child came to my door recently, chugging or for some commercial purpose, her jaw literally dropped when I said I had no TV.

And, for the information of those who have no TV (and therefore pay no licence fee): I was reading the BBC's Royal Charter a week or so ago and discovered the joyous news that, if you live in the UK - you are almost certainly, officially, a licence fee payer, whether you have a licence or not

Charter, paragraph 57, 'Interpretations':

The meaning of “licence fee payer”

In this Charter, a reference to a “licence fee payer” is not to be taken literally but includes, not only a person to whom a TV licence is issued under section 364 of the Communications Act 2003, but also (so far as is sensible in the context) any other person in the UK who watches, listens to or uses any BBC service, or may do so or wish to do so in the future.

I did not know that

[In any case, common sense would tell us that since the population of the country is 60m + and there are only, give or take, 25m licences, less than half the population can claim to be 'a licence fee payer'.]
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• pmartel
                      • Mar 2007

I work for cable tv in Canada and DON'T have cable and DON'T miss it.

We went digital tv last year.

My partner brought me a DTV converter for off-air reception and I get 12 channels with an antenna in my apartment.

My tv is an 11 year old JVC 27 inch CRT and rated at 720P STUNNING pict. BUT I do plan to buy a flat screen ans less obtrusive in my apt.

As I don't go to movies, too cheap for that, I love the widescreen for movies at home.

I can hook up my computer to the new tv when I get it and watch what I want online

Years back, the comedy duo Wayne and Shuster did a HILARIOUS skit called 'I was a tv addict. I have the lp. They were ahead of their time on that one

Comment

• Anna

I have digital, (but not Sky) analogue was switched off 2 years ago. I watch mainly BBC, such things lately as The Romans series BBC2 and other documentaries, BBC4 have very good ones. Also, on 4 Nordic series like The Bridge, The Killing. I'm quite selective about what I watch.

What perturbs me is when I visit one member of the family and from 7.30am the tv is turned on to keep the children quiet, ditto when they get back from school. I'm sure CBeebies is educational in its way, but I think they should be outside playing or reading.

Comment

• aeolium
                          • Nov 2010

I've no problem with people feeling that TV still offers enough as to be 'indispensable' to them (even if less so than once). What is almost on the point of goading me into an Harrrumph is when 'people', usually of about 25+, are totally incapable of comprehending how anyone could possibly exist without a television ... When a child came to my door recently, chugging or for some commercial purpose, her jaw literally dropped when I said I had no TV.
                          That's certainly a tiresome attitude, ff. On the other hand, I remember an attitude which I thought was equally tiresome, which was to regard TV and those who watched it as a bit infra dig, that it was a very poor substitute for books, radio, live music and theatre, travel, conversation etc etc even though it was never considered what advantages were required to access those undoubted goods. I still think TV has been a hugely beneficial democratising medium which at its best has informed, entertained, educated and stimulated the imagination. I think it's a pity that it's lost some of the earlier adventure and risk-taking, that it rarely puts demands on people and has been too often overtaken by the formulaic dictates of marketing men. I'm grateful for the pleasure and interest it has given me, even though I can well understand why people now feel it does not have much to offer.

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            . . . In this Charter, a reference to a “licence fee payer” is not to be taken literally but includes, not only a person to whom a TV licence is issued under section 364 of the Communications Act 2003, but also (so far as is sensible in the context) any other person in the UK who watches, listens to or uses any BBC service, or may do so or wish to do so in the future. . .
                            A sentence excised by Lewis Carroll's editor from Alice in Wonderland as a step too far?

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Quote. "I like your avatar - nice little aircraft. Let me know if you need a test pilot."

er... my avatar isnt an aircraft! (I think)

Any of you lot watched East "it's out-a ordaarrrr" enders last night?

3VS
                              Last edited by Guest; 16-05-12, 16:54. Reason: felt like it

Comment

Working...
                              X