.... yes but does the lily in the field have a character and values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

.... yes but does the lily in the field have a character and values?

We need to fix Britain’s character flaws

The character strengths it will advocate are self-restraint, hard work, resilience, optimism, courage, generosity, modesty, empathy, kindness and good manners. Old-fashioned values, maybe. Some will sneer, and ridicule them as middle class or “public school”. But these are eternal values, as advocated by Aristotle and countless thinkers since.
    i have all sorts of doubts about this not least that it is an American sponsored initiative [America and values spare me please] but mostly that it is just daft and yet we do need to address the culture of morality and how we regard our fellows eh? ... the 'cult of personality' and character are both being addressed as social reputation issues seems to me ....

i am very close to a 50/50 call what are others' views?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Didn't most of the elite go around with swords, and oppress the peasants in Aristotles time....

I'm for a good work ethic but easy-going , relaxed,convivial, helpful, unmaterialistic, sustainable....shove growth [other than the personal kind] up yer jacczy....

....CadaJa ....Well done on your smokeless 6 mths
    bong ching

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

self-restraint, hard work, resilience, optimism, courage, generosity, modesty, empathy, kindness and good manners
      All very laudable (and I do mean that without sarcasm), but look at what it says later:

The riots in British cities in August 2011 were the catalyst for its creation. As the fires subsided, a call was heard across the nation for a renewed emphasis on communal values and ethical teaching, which would discourage such events happening again.

No consideration of the immediate or long-term causes that sparked off the riots, merely the suggestion that "better" ethical and religious teaching would have prevented them. No suggestion that figures in the worlds of banking, business or journalism might benefit from a stronger sense of "self-restraint, optimism, generosity, empathy, kindness and good mannners"; just a blanket assumption that the "proles are revolting"; just more ideas about oppressing the already-oppressed even more oppressively.

No parsnips buttered with these fine words, alas. Had the focus been wider it may have been worthy of inclusion in a more serious discussion of very real social problems. But then, the project perhaps might not have received its high-level funding from those whose interests are best served by alienating people from their neighbours.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

The Templeton Foundation is an immensely wealthy organisation that funds pro-theist (more specifically, 'fundamentalist' Christian) groups. It promotes 'intelligent design' over evolution by natural selection, as well as moves to ensure a clear central role for Christianity within science and the state.

This thread gives a taste of the Templeton Foundation: http://richarddawkins.net/articles/3...ton-foundation

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

These are definitely not public school values. The emphasis there is on competition. Historically they were not specifically middle class values either but were rather representative of elements of all classes and indeed all political leanings.

I would describe them as traditionally conservative with a small "c". There is much to be said for many of them but modern conservatism, again not restricted to a specific class, is their enemy. It has little room for self-restraint, empathy or kindness.
          Last edited by Guest; 16-05-12, 15:27.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
            These are definitely not public school values. The emphasis there is on competition. Historically they were not specifically middle class values either but were rather representative of elements of all classes and indeed all political leanings.

I would describe them as traditionally conservative with a small "c". There is much to be said for many of them but modern conservatism, again not restricted to a specific class, is their enemy. It has little room for self-restraint, empathy or kindness.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X