• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
    Yes that's one of the (many) problems I have (always had) with women: they spend (or rather waste) so much time and effort in decorating themselves, and it is all utterly ineffective and futile! Take "lip-stick" for instance - is it not the silliest thing?
    Look, if you're gay, you only have to say so, I'm sure no-one round here will mind...

Not gay? Well then, your undisguised misogyny betrays an extremely narrow and superficial historical and cultural perspective.

If appearances don't matter, why go to the trouble of choosing an icon - doesn't yours say something about you - quite deliberately?

I've worn 3 outfits today - sundress in the conservatory, pencil skirt, poloneck and heels to the shops, and... better not describe what I'm wearing now, it's too too...

I do a full make-up every day after my morning shower. I don't see this as a waste of time, or incompatible with reading Guardian Comment and Debate, or watching Newsnight, or listening to Skalkottas and Prokofiev later (if I'm not too worn out cooking, eating and clearing up after dinner).

"Only a fool doesn't judge by appearances" isn't quite the shallow remark it may first appear...

Have I just put my stiletto in my mouth?

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Look, if you're gay, you only have to say so, I'm sure no-one round here will mind...
      but even if Syd is, his

undisguised misogyny betrays an extremely narrow and superficial historical and cultural perspective.

But I'm afraid I do wonder why women put on full slap to go to the supermarket, & indeed men, in their own way.

When I was trying to smash gender stereotypes back in the 80s I never thought that it would end with women taking on the worst aspects of men's behaviour & men taking on the worst aspects of women's.

But this is getting seriously off-topic - or is it?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

jlw, I think you will find that Syd prefers the term "homosexualist". He has never sought to hide his sexuality either here or on the old BBC Radio 3 Forum.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

jayne lee wilson

As a make up free but gay man, I don't mind make-up at all, although I am sometimes surprised at how badly it is applied. However, one of the most distasteful experiences for me is to be sitting opposite a lady on the tube as she does the whole shebang complete with little bits of tissue on the seat next to her, slapping on the eye liner and powdering herself and her neighbours liberally, alternating this with a good rummage in the handbag to extract yet another little bottle of gunge

I'm not in the habit of shaving on the tube, or powdering my armpits, why should I have to be a witness to this sort of performance, especially as a before and after shot would reveal no change whatsoever !

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

"Only a fool doesn't judge by appearances" isn't quite the shallow remark it may first appear...

I am given to understand that in Liverpool (and many Northern cities) stilettos are de rigueur shopping footwear. In London women wear mostly flat heels.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Not gay? Well then, your undisguised misogyny betrays an extremely narrow and superficial historical and cultural perspective.

If appearances don't matter, why go to the trouble of choosing an icon - doesn't yours say something about you - quite deliberately?

I've worn 3 outfits today - sundress in the conservatory, pencil skirt, poloneck and heels to the shops, and... better not describe what I'm wearing now, it's too too...

I do a full make-up every day after my morning shower. I don't see this as a waste of time, or incompatible with reading Guardian Comment and Debate, or watching Newsnight, or listening to Skalkottas and Prokofiev later (if I'm not too worn out cooking, eating and clearing up after dinner).

What a splendid post! And no, in answer to our last question, you haven't...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                However, one of the most distasteful experiences for me is to be sitting opposite a lady on the tube as she does the whole shebang complete with little bits of tissue on the seat next to her, slapping on the eye liner and powdering herself and her neighbours liberally, alternating this with a good rummage in the handbag to extract yet another little bottle of gunge
                Absolutely agree. My trip to work was made unpleasant frequently by a woman who did the makeup routine & then sprayed herself - & me, as she usually sat on the seat behind me - with perfume.

& to be even-handed, my gym changing room is frequently rendered uninhabitable by men spraying deoderant all over the place.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

jayne lee wilson

As a make up free but gay man, I don't mind make-up at all, although I am sometimes surprised at how badly it is applied. However, one of the most distasteful experiences for me is to be sitting opposite a lady on the tube as she does the whole shebang complete with little bits of tissue on the seat next to her, slapping on the eye liner and powdering herself and her neighbours liberally, alternating this with a good rummage in the handbag to extract yet another little bottle of gunge

I'm not in the habit of shaving on the tube, or powdering my armpits, why should I have to be a witness to this sort of performance, especially as a before and after shot would reveal no change whatsoever !
                  That is a bit extreme... probably a hung-over fashionista on her way to work, or disorganised fashionista in transit from office to party...
                  As Vicky Beckham said, God its exhausting being fabulous...

think I deserve a prize for expanding the vocabulary of the Radio 3 forum...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

As Vicky Beckham said, God its exhausting being fabulous...
                    "Vicky?"

Comment

• amateur51

jayne lee wilson

I've seen this drama enacted on tube trains too Ferret and the thought that pops into my mind is - thank goodness she hasn't got haemorrhoids

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        I've seen this drama enacted on tube trains too Ferret and the thought that pops into my mind is - thank goodness she hasn't got haemorrhoids
                        I think that tells us more than we need to know about your thought processes, am51.....
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                          I think that tells us more than we need to know about your thought processes, am51.....
                          Likewise, Mr Pee

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Likewise, Mr Pee
                            how my heart leaps when i'm looking at this forum on my phone and I see that the latest contribution is by the fantom sky cyclist
                            I'm sure the feeling isn't mutual but it's good to have little moments of mirth while waiting for the train

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              how my heart leaps when i'm looking at this forum on my phone and I see that the latest contribution is by the fantom sky cyclist
                              I'm sure the feeling isn't mutual but it's good to have little moments of mirth while waiting for the train
                              Anything I can do to enliven your dull existence, Mr. GG!
                              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

I hope Mr Pee isn't listening to the News Quiz at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X