• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

BBC Young Musicians 2012 Semi final.

Just started on BBC2. from 6pm to 7.30 pm. I agree with gamba, it's such a hotch-potch it's very hard to watch.
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

It is, but I love to see such talent when I think of what usually passes as 'talent' on television. Pity any of them are missed out of the final, though.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Did we really need a semi final ?

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        Did we really need a semi final ?
        I think the need to follow football's lead and have play offs, and extra time.
        Penalties would be silly though !!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pipisme

I don't see the point of the semi-final. The final has three categories and is a two hour broadcast on BBC Two with each finalist playing a concerto of their choice. If there were a five category final I would think that five concertos could be fitted into to a two hours 30 minutes to two hours 45 minutes broadcast.

I'm looking forward to the final tonight.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

There is an interesting article in the Radio Times about the semi finalists but it is obvious, [as if I didn't already know]. that the right parents and background have a lot to do with the children who come through to the final. The young cellist, who I hope will win, already studies abroad with Leonid Gorokhov and has every advantage.
            It makes one admire all the violinists, pianists and others who in the past have worked their way up to classical excellence - people like Campoli, Ernest Hall [trumpet] etc.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              the right parents and background have a lot to do
              As they do with all children's education. It's not all about wealth or talent, though certainly the latter is necessary.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

By request, I have moved the comments on the final to the relevant thread on the Performance board.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                X