X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

yah but have you ever seen jo Jones take the room apart?

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      yah but have you ever seen jo Jones take the room apart?

But Max peed ahead!

(Well, not ahead of Jo Jones, but ahead of all 3 of John Skelton's examples in #12

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

he learned how to do this from Jo J
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

he learned how to do this from Jo J
          It's the cymbalism that counts

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            It's the cymbalism that counts
            *groan*...

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            The fair-haired Rayner kid for me was the outstanding all-rounder and showed better than the others about how to play in full context with talented others.

I've just caught up with my recording of this, and I completely agree, Draco. I didn't 'buy' at all (in fact, found irritating) the trance-like approach of the girl who won, and found the others tedious - Richard Rayner I found compelling, and the only one who made me want to listen to what he was playing, and regret we couldn't hear more. Really musical, and I thought his totally natural communication of enjoyment, even amusement, at the sounds he was producing, drew one in. I think they missed a trick not putting him through. He's a
            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 13-05-12, 23:27.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• handsomefortune

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              I love the story of the conductor who, on climbing up to the percussionist at rehearsal to check something,found he was studying a greenhouse catalogue, coverng his percussion part.
              by the looks, 'a missed opportunity', he could have bought on a trance in the gap time!

personally, i'd choose papa joe jones too! (what a brilliant 'jazz library' episode that was (sob).

was the winner john skelton's link #3? if so, ....certainly very visual - which is a major problem with televised music competitions imv, it can easily be about judging the visuals of performance?

second prize after papa joe, (who couldn't make it to the contest but wins regardless), would have to go to ferney's verbal drumming on the www - just the ticket. 5

odd to read this thread last night, in view of the winner of 'britain's got talent' apparently won by a girl and her dog. (perhaps it was gr8, i haven't watched it tbh, so theoretically shouldn't comment, but still.....)!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                was the winner john skelton's link #3?
                No - this was the percussion winner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxzK9CipS04

The set by the player I preferred starts at 27 mns precisely here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...cussion_Final/
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                X