Late member
    • Nov 2010

networks and networths innit

one

two

three

four

"i can recall no such conversation"
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Lateralthinking1

One - Discussion about private and prep schools on commercial radio. Dopey sounding posh woman says she has sent her three sons to private schools since they were 4 "but I get so mad about the criticism, honestly we really aren't well-off". Cost of education per annum - £48,000 - every year for 15 years. Sadly they "have to go without flashy holidays"

Two - Wade up before Leveson today. Blair has written to her asking her to apologise. The entire exercise has shown one thing only. The "haves" either make their money from learning what they can get away with or exposing those of their kind for what they are getting away with. All are overly confident and "have contacts". All are in a bubble of gamesy remoteness.

Three - Remploy. Bosses have been getting 1.5-£2 billion pounds pa in bonuses. The average pay for a disabled hourly paid worker in Remploy bullied by society has been less than £12,000 per year. Now that's "unsustainable". The Leveson Inquiry cost £1.9 million in the first six months. Olympics - up to £24 billion. Afghanistan - nearly £30 billion and 412 British deaths to date.

Four - Woman celebrates 100th birthday in Broadmayne House, a run down council tower block in Walworth. She was born in the same road as she lives in now and still goes out each day to buy newspapers "for elderly neighbours". A telegram from the Queen and the Labour Council. She is "appreciative". She retired in the year that Chancellor George Osborne was born.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-05-12, 11:17.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      One - Discussion about private and prep schools on commercial radio. Dopey sounding posh woman says she has sent her three sons to private schools since they were 4 "but I get so mad about the criticism, honestly we really aren't well-off". Cost of education per annum - £48,000 - every year for 15 years. Sadly they "have to go without flashy holidays"

along the lines of the other quoted person (on another thread) saying that it costs the same to send their children to private school as to the local state school ......

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Well yes - rather like the man I read about recently (sorry - can't remember where so can't provide a link) who called a phone-in programme looking for confirmation/reassurance that his £50,000+ salary was average - & was staggered to learn how much above average it actually was. I'm afraid these people only associate with those who are similar - so they think their high pay, large houses etc are 'normal', or even below average.

Which is why the posh boys in government will never understand what life is like for the majority of the population.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

along the lines of the other quoted person (on another thread) saying that it costs the same to send their children to private school as to the local state school ......
          I am that "other quoted person" and it's no laughing matter, although I did not write that these things cost "the same" even in the instance that I quoted, still less in all cases, but that the relative costs were a good deal different to the parents' original expectations because what they had to shell out for their chldren's state education was quite considerable - so, more accurately, I am that "other misquoted person"...

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

My point being (and I also have had to "shell out" on state education) that it is somewhat of an exaggeration to think that it is anything like cost of private schools........ even with buying musical instruments and sports kit etc etc

sorry for misquoting you !

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              that is unbelievably sinister are you phishing my details why would my using Amazon be of any concern or interest ....
              Well I suppose if you have ever sold a cd on there for a quid, it sets you up for being called an unregulated capitalist. Personally, I wouldn't bother. I actually lost 8 pence on the one I did this week. That really takes talent. I'm quite proud of it.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                Well I suppose if you have ever sold a cd on there for a quid, it sets you up for being called an unregulated capitalist. Personally, I wouldn't bother. I actually lost 8 pence on the one I did this week. That really takes talent. I'm quite proud of it.
                bravo Lats

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Apols to Lat - When he was last posting on this thread I was just in the process of removing some off-topic comments which didn't fit any of the existing boards and therefore are to be found in the usual place.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

thanks ff
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Apols to Lat - When he was last posting on this thread I was just in the process of removing some off-topic comments which didn't fit any of the existing boards and therefore are to be found in the usual place.
                      Otherwise known as my website ?

I must not go "off task" in class

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

if he had paid attention in class Mr Moore might have got the point about twenty or thirty years ago when he and his chums were swimming in the privatisation gravy but just as with the division of wealth he comes late, one can never be too late eh, to the pernicious rise of the CORPOCAT class

Comment

Working...
                        X