• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Dr Who Christmas Special.

What a lovely version of "A Christmas Carol"! I would put it up there with the Muppet version. Michael Gambon was terrific. I even enjoyed Katherine Jenkins (for her acting): perhaps she should move over to musicals rather than arias?
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

some press, i think the Torygraph, felt it overblown

i agree with you Chris it was Christmas magic, harmonising ice clouds indeed! and ms Jenkins was stellar and the fish and shark more than enough to have everyone in the traditional peeking over the sofa position ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I have a theory (judging by the Guardian comments) that you have to start off as a Who fan and what ever's served up, the fans will love it.
      Watching the Doctor Who Special is my annual Christmas penance that sends me home gloomy. I agree Michael Gambon's performance was excellent but the story was a corny mess.

There, I finally feel better!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

I loved it! A clever re-working of A Christmas Carol, and Michael Gambon was of course terrific. I thought the scene where The Doctor was the ghost of Christmas future, and brought the old Gambon face to face with himself as a child, and asked him "Is this who you wanted to be when you were a boy?" was wonderful. It brought a tear to my eye.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

I can but repeat my reaction to Anna's lauding of ths Doctor Who production on another forum, "Holy Zarquon's singing fish!"

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Who is now Who? I haven't watched it, then only once. since Peter Davison gave up. Kids' stuff but cousins, nearly my age, love it. I agree with FF, my magic comes from ballet and occasional drama. My late partner told me once I had lost my fairyland. Oh no,not really.[blush/laugh]

Comment

• 2LO

You know, Salymap, you don't HAVE to have watched Dr Who on Christmas Day to be a fully functioning human being! I missed it too, although I did see the 1940s film of "And Then There Were None" (formerly known as Ten Little Notallowedtosaythesedays) later that evening. Very enjoyable and one is still alive, one thinks.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 2LO View Post
                You know, Salymap, you don't HAVE to have watched Dr Who on Christmas Day to be a fully functioning human being!
                Let's hope that's true since, in spite of all the hype about viewing figures, only about 20% of the 4-and-overs watched it, and 80% didn't!
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by 2LO View Post
                  You know, Salymap, you don't HAVE to have watched Dr Who on Christmas Day to be a fully functioning human being! I missed it too, although I did see the 1940s film of "And Then There Were None" (formerly known as Ten Little Notallowedtosaythesedays) later that evening. Very enjoyable and one is still alive, one thinks.
                  A cracking film I agree, 2LO - the music was by M Castelnuovo-Tedesco and the music director was Charles Previn, cousin of André.

Comment

• 2LO

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Let's hope that's true since, in spite of all the hype about viewing figures, only about 20% of the 4-and-overs watched it, and 80% didn't!
                    Where DO they get those figures, so soon? Anyway, if they're correct, I hope all those millions NOT watching Dr Who were doing something useful!

As to those who saw the above-cited film on BBC4 (thanks for that information amateur - the music was good), I don't suppose the number exceeds 12 and a few sleeping under-4s.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

This is interesting. I thought my Christie had the original [banned] title but I see it is a tatty small paperback printed in the USA in 1945 by Pocket Books Inc of NY and printed on wartime paper,it says. It is entitled 'And Then There Were None'. That title was only adopted later over here, I'm sure. Sorry about this but having worked in books and music publishing it's interesting to me if no-one else.

Comment

• Simon

I have a theory (judging by the Guardian comments)...
                        Oh dear ff! Oh dear! Talk about leading with the chin. Where shall I start...?

Comment

• 2LO

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                          This is interesting. I thought my Christie had the original [banned] title but I see it is a tatty small paperback printed in the USA in 1945 by Pocket Books Inc of NY and printed on wartime paper,it says. It is entitled 'And Then There Were None'. That title was only adopted later over here, I'm sure. Sorry about this but having worked in books and music publishing it's interesting to me if no-one else.
                          Well you're right, at least according to Wikipedia, Salymap. The title of the 1939 US publication was changed there within a year. Even the quoted nursery rhyme eventually referred to 'Ten Little Soldier Boys' and the victims, originally trapped on 'N- Island', find themselves on 'Indian Island' and later, 'Soldier Island'! British editions remained unchanged until '85 - and very few foreign-language titles are revised.

Seems that the film was originally 'And then There Were None' (it's American after all, despite a French director), but I'm sure I saw it many years ago on TV as 'Ten Little N-s'. The rhyme in the film is about Little Indians - but the china figures suggest Ten Dimensionally-Challenged Native Americans.

Sorry this way off DR WHO!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Sorry this way off DR WHO!
                            given Dr Who plot lines i believe this to be an impossibility ....
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• 2LO

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                              given Dr Who plot lines i believe this to be an impossibility ....
                              . . . and we ARE travelling back in time!

Comment

Working...
                              X