Beatles Fans? A single album version of 'The Beatles' 1968 album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Quite so, live and let live and let the banter continue.
    Surely that should be

"live and let...................."

(3 letters ....rhymes with MrP's favourite word)

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Surely that should be

"live and let...................."

(3 letters ....rhymes with MrP's favourite word)
      OK but for your eyes only!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        OK but for your eyes only!

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Whatever else Beef O, thanks for this string. I dug out 'the White Album' this morning and had a fine time in the car listening to the whole thing. Three or four points in no particular order ( I can feel the Spanish Inquisition coming on).

After a good listen I felt I could make a case for any of the 30 tracks to be in the 15. As a whole it plays absolutely beautifully - I'd forgotten how innovative it was running tracks into each other back then and they produced great combinations in there - Guitar Weeps to Bungalow Bill, Piggies to Rocky, Skelter to Long Long. I've never read anything about the making of the record but they must have taken time over the running order.

I think it's Lennon's best performance as a vocalist - I've tended to think over the years that McCartney was the better vocalist, but there's real guts about Lennon's performance and actually about the record as a whole. Lennon's performances on Bungalow Bill, So Tired, Monkey are among the very best, in my opinion.

There's also some wonderful guitar in there and often in places you least expect - end of Long, Long, Long comes to mind, but it's scattered throughout - in fact, for me it's a great album of great bits, of great lines and I come back to my original feeling that it is one of the truly great double albums; and it's hard to say given my experience of it over the years, but I'm left feeling it would be so much the poorer as a single album.

Finally, if I was ever able to go back in time I think that 'The Beatles' has the music I would most have liked to have seen J, P, G & R perform live.
          Last edited by johncorrigan; 14-05-12, 13:35. Reason: left with too many feelings

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Whatever else Beef O, thanks for this string. I dug out 'the White Album' this morning and had a fine time in the car listening to the whole thing. Three or four points in no particular order ( I can feel the Spanish Inquisition coming on).

After a good listen I felt I could make a case for any of the 30 tracks to be in the 15. As a whole it plays absolutely beautifully - I'd forgotten how innovative it was running tracks into each other back then and they produced great combinations in there - Guitar Weeps to Bungalow Bill, Piggies to Rocky, Skelter to Long Long. I've never read anything about the making of the record but they must have taken time over the running order.

I think it's Lennon's best performance as a vocalist - I've tended to think over the years that McCartney was the better vocalist, but there's real guts about Lennon's performance and actually about the record as a whole. Lennon's performances on Bungalow Bill, So Tired, Monkey are among the very best, in my opinion.

There's also some wonderful guitar in there and often in places you least expect - end of Long, Long, Long comes to mind, but it's scattered throughout - in fact, for me it's a great album of great bits, of great lines and I come back to my original feeling that it is one of the truly great double albums; and it's hard to say given my experience of it over the years, but I'm left feeling it would be so much the poorer as a single album.

Finally, if I was ever able to go back in time I think that 'The Beatles' has the music I would most have liked to have seen J, P, G & R perform live.
            Wow - you have said it all!

Nothing more to add!

Comment

Working...
            X