Beatles Fans? A single album version of 'The Beatles' 1968 album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven
    • Oct 2024

Beatles Fans? A single album version of 'The Beatles' 1968 album?

The old chestnut. George Martin once opined that 'The White Album' would've been better if it had been a single album, rather than a double.

I want to edit the 30 tracks down to 15 and add as a playlist on my iPod.

Can anybody help with choices for a 'single album' version?

Back in the USSR
    Dear Prudence
    Glass Onion
    Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da
    Wild Honey Pie
    The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    Martha My Dear
    I'm So Tired
    Blackbird
    Piggies
    Rocky Racoon
    Don't Pass Me By
    Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
    I Will
    Julia
    Birthday
    Yer Blues
    Mother Nature's Son
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
    Sexy Sadie
    Helter Skelter
    Long, Long, Long
    Revolution 1
    Honey Pie
    Savoy Truffle
    Cry Baby Cry
    Revolution 9

Goodnight
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Beef Oven;160325]The old chestnut. George Martin once opined that 'The White Album' would've been better if it had been a single album, rather than a double.

can't think of many double albums that wouldn't have edited down rather better to a single. Nonsuch by XTC would be hard to improve by reduction. London calling perhaps.(prog rock is no doubt an exception to this rule, but frankly , who listens to that stuff?...........)

Anyway, can't help much as I don't own the whole of the White Album.....but I would substitute Siouxsie and the Banshees version of Dear prudence for the Beatles. Sacrilege no doubt.......
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

[QUOTE=teamsaint;160331]
      Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      The old chestnut. George Martin once opined that 'The White Album' would've been better if it had been a single album, rather than a double.

can't think of many double albums that wouldn't have edited down rather better to a single. Nonsuch by XTC would be hard to improve by reduction. London calling perhaps.(prog rock is no doubt an exception to this rule, but frankly , who listens to that stuff?...........)

Anyway, can't help much as I don't own the whole of the White Album.....but I would substitute Siouxsie and the Banshees version of Dear prudence for the Beatles. Sacrilege no doubt.......
      I actually agree with you on the Siouxsie version of Dear Prudence. Sacrilege for sure!!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Back in the USSR
        Dear Prudence
        Glass Onion
        Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da
        Wild Honey Pie
        Happiness Is A Warm Gun
        Martha My Dear
        I'm So Tired
        Blackbird
        Piggies
        Rocky Racoon
        Don't Pass Me By
        Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
        I Will
        Julia
        Birthday
        Yer Blues
        Mother Nature's Son
        Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
        Sexy Sadie
        Helter Skelter
        Long, Long, Long
        Revolution 1
        Honey Pie
        Savoy Truffle
        Cry Baby Cry
        Revolution 9

Goodnight
        Beef, a great idea, as a long-term Beatles fan I think they peaked with Rubber Soul and Revolver, but still admire Sgt Pepper, but the White Album was not their best - I'm always compiling albums from their tracks, knock rev 1/9 and Goodnight from the White Album and you have a White CD. However want you want is 15 - OK

Back in the USSR
        The continuing story of Bungalow Bill
        While my guitar gently weeps
        Ob-la di Ob-la da
        Blackbird
        I'm so tired
        Martha my dear
        Honey Pie
        Piggies
        Mother Nature's Son
        I will
        Rocky Raccoon
        Julia
        Yer blues
        Revolution 1

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Beef, a great idea, as a long-term Beatles fan I think they peaked with Rubber Soul and Revolver, but still admire Sgt Pepper, but the White Album was not their best - I'm always compiling albums from their tracks, knock rev 1/9 and Goodnight from the White Album and you have a White CD. However want you want is 15 - OK

Back in the USSR
          The continuing story of Bungalow Bill
          While my guitar gently weeps
          Ob-la di Ob-la da
          Blackbird
          I'm so tired
          Martha my dear
          Honey Pie
          Piggies
          Mother Nature's Son
          I will
          Rocky Raccoon
          Julia
          Yer blues
          Revolution 1
          Thanks for your 'playlist' cloughie - an interesting selection. A little different from the first cut I took an hour ago (will show in a few days time).

I love 'The White Album', but I cannot eat a whole one so's to speak!

My favourite Beatles album is Magical Mystery Tour (I know it's not a legit album!) because the tracks on it are the ones that were played the most in my house in the 1960s. It evokes very, very strong memories.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Beefy......I have a colleague (aged about 26 !) who is a lunatic Beatles fan. I will set her the challenge, and see what she come up with, if that is OK. She will have definite opinions, and she sure knows her stuff.

I agree that MMT is absolutely full of top tunes.
            The Beatles didn't really get a look in , round my house. The 50's and 60's rather passed my folks by musically. Had to wait till 1972 and roxy/slade/bowie/T rex, which i had to discover myself!
            That may be the deep psychological reason I keep tapping up people on this board for good stuff. That or idleness !
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Beef Oven

[QUOTE=teamsaint;160331]

Re: XTC I had 'White Music' and 'Drums & Wires' on LP when I was at University (don't even remember Go2!!! - completely passed me by) Nonsuch was too late for me. Bought 'Pretty Girls' on 12".

Faves for me are Neon Shuffle, Statue of Liberty, Nigel, Senses and Watchtower - not very imaginative of me!

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Thanks for your 'playlist' cloughie - an interesting selection. A little different from the first cut I took an hour ago (will show in a few days time).

I love 'The White Album', but I cannot eat a whole one so's to speak!

My favourite Beatles album is Magical Mystery Tour (I know it's not a legit album!) because the tracks on it are the ones that were played the most in my house in the 1960s. It evokes very, very strong memories.
                Didn't rate MMT personally except for Fool and Walrus, Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were really part of Sgt Pepper, but if you want 5 bonus tracks for your White Album playlist then:
                The fool on the hill
                Your mother should know
                Strawberry Fields Forever
                Penny Lane
                I am the Walrus

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Beefy......I have a colleague (aged about 26 !) who is a lunatic Beatles fan. I will set her the challenge, and see what she come up with, if that is OK. She will have definite opinions, and she sure knows her stuff.

I agree that MMT is absolutely full of top tunes.
                  The Beatles didn't really get a look in , round my house. The 50's and 60's rather passed my folks by musically. Had to wait till 1972 and roxy/slade/bowie/T rex, which i had to discover myself!
                  That may be the deep psychological reason I keep tapping up people on this board for good stuff. That or idleness !
                  Great, I'd love to have your friend's ideas.

I was an absolute Roxy Music nut up to 1975! Still play their stuff regularly. Bowie too.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Beef Oven;160370]

Re: XTC I had 'White Music' and 'Drums & Wires' on LP when I was at University (don't even remember Go2!!! - completely passed me by) Nonsuch was too late for me. Bought 'Pretty Girls' on 12".

Faves for me are Neon Shuffle, Statue of Liberty, Nigel, Senses and Watchtower - not very imaginative of me!
                    Trust me, XTC just got better and better. (oddly I only have the early singles, not the first two albums). Let me know if you would like advice, but , nutshellwise, Nonsuch is wonderful. There are at least half a dozen of the later albums that I would hate to be without..........Skylarking, Mummer, Apple venus 1.....all top drawer.

Comment

• Beef Oven

[QUOTE=teamsaint;160375]

Trust me, XTC just got better and better. (oddly I only have the early singles, not the first two albums). Let me know if you would like advice, but , nutshellwise, Nonsuch is wonderful. There are at least half a dozen of the later albums that I would hate to be without..........Skylarking, Mummer, Apple venus 1.....all top drawer.
                      Gonna dip me toe into a later album. Which one would you recommend as the bestest?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Beef Oven;160377]

Gonna dip me toe into a later album. Which one would you recommend as the bestest?
                        very difficult question indeed.
                        After long deliberation.....if you want an album to pick random songs from, Nonsuch would be my choice. An alternative, and sometimes described as a concept album, (but that is pushing it really) Skylarking really needs listening to as a whole.(was produced by Todd Rundgren.). Its certainly a long way from the early stuff.
                        Having said that, Mummer, Big Express , Black Sea and Apple Venus 1 are as good. (English Settlement and Oranges and Lemons have a bit of double album syndrome).

So I would give Nonsuch or Skylarking a bash. Hope you find something you like.

Comment

• Beef Oven

[QUOTE=teamsaint;160425]

very difficult question indeed.
                          After long deliberation.....if you want an album to pick random songs from, Nonsuch would be my choice. An alternative, and sometimes described as a concept album, (but that is pushing it really) Skylarking really needs listening to as a whole.(was produced by Todd Rundgren.). Its certainly a long way from the early stuff.
                          Having said that, Mummer, Big Express , Black Sea and Apple Venus 1 are as good. (English Settlement and Oranges and Lemons have a bit of double album syndrome).

So I would give Nonsuch or Skylarking a bash. Hope you find something you like.
                          Thanks very much Teamsaint.

I am going to dip my toe into a late XTC album. Which one out of Nonsuch and Skylarking would you recommend?

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

[QUOTE=Beef Oven;160452]

Thanks very much Teamsaint.

I am going to dip my toe into a late XTC album. Which one out of Nonsuch and Skylarking would you recommend?
                            Don't know why but XTC totally missed my radar - perhaps I should have a listen!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

I agree there is "dead wood", but you surely can't leave out the eerie, subtle and often neglected Harrison track, "Long, Long, Long", involving only George himself, Ringo, Paul on Hammond organ and Chris Thomas on piano. It is a rather extraordinary piece, starting as a gentle whisper and ending with George's exhausted wail of relief and the unplanned 30 second wine bottle rattle. In the middle 8 he sings of "So many tears I was searching, So many tears I was wasting" and at the end he does seem to have arrived at some sort of mystical conclusion or reconciliation.

More details here:

Here's my selection for a very good single CD (18 tracks, 52 minutes)

Back In The U.S.S.R
                              Dear Prudence
                              Happiness Is A Warm Gun
                              Martha My Dear
                              I'm So Tired
                              Blackbird
                              Piggies
                              Rocky Raccoon
                              I Will
                              Julia