X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pilamenon
    • Nov 2010

Upstairs Downstairs

Anyone else see it? Made me feel quite sentimental about the old show. They tried to pack too much into three episodes, of course, the constant background music lacked subtlety, and they couldn't resist camping it up at times, but some of the spirit of the original was well retained, I thought, and the characters became more involving with each episode. The only TV I'll remember from Christmas 2010. Hope they'll do some more. Bravo!
  • Roehre

I'm growing old I'm afraid. Though I did enjoy the 3 episodes, I missed something which was present in the old show. Please don't ask me what, I do think it has got something to do with the expectation after not having seen the "originals" for two or so decades. A kind of pink glasses through which memories were filtered therefore.
    But enjoyable it certainly was.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Lady Gould remembered and loved the original series and thought it superior to this but I coming to it cold enjoyed it greatly and felt it was better than Downton Abbey.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed it. I have the original complete series which I have recently watched again and it's interesting to make comparisons. The new one is technically much more professional, but there is something rather cosy about the largely studio-based original. I suspect only three of the new series were made in order to gauge public opinion before committing to anymore. The decision to bring in a whole new family was a good one, in my opinion, and there is surely scope to develop things if the public liked it.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I didn't enjoy the sequences during which the music was interrupted by people talking. But Anne Reid was wonderful, as ever.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
            • Nov 2010

Only one quote ever comes to mind when I think of UD and that comes from one of Stanley Baxter's exceptional xmas specials:

I was going to tell you it but fortunately I came across the orginal. It's the gag involing Mr Hudson!

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Yes, that Baxter sketch is a true classic. He also had the luxury of using the same UD set at LWT.

Comment

• greenilex
                • Nov 2010

Fantastic fun. Had me chortling into my breakfast porridge. A nice change from endless Mozart.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Wonderful! Thanks for the link.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Classic, shb. They don't make them like that any more! & the versatility of Baxter, playing all the characters, is astonishing.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

We watched it and enjoyed it too. Yes, there was too much to squeeze into a 'mere' 3 hours but perhaps there will be a real series eventually. Well, so long as the BBC don't listen to A A Gill in the Sunday Times who appears to have hated it!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

It was what somebody once called the higher lunacy. I particularly enjoyed the Unity Mitford character and the dishy chauffeur, rather him than Ribbentrop any day!
                        Now, how did I guess that the lady of the house would start giving birth just as Edward said _ "As Ieeee would have ---" on the radio?

Incidentally, an uncle by marriage of mine had a niece on his side of the family who married Max Mosley, so six degrees of separation via Unity Mitford and I'm connected to Hitler! ( Some of my friends had already guessed! ) Debbo as well of course.

The food looked terrible didn't it?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Ferret, isn't Max Mosely the one who got into trouble with a 'newspaper' for allegedly dressing up in unfortunate uniforms & being chastised by assertive ladies?
                          Last edited by Flosshilde; 03-01-11, 22:49. Reason: to make an addition so that I wouldn't be harassed by libel lawyers

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Ferret, isn't Max Mosely the one who got into trouble with a 'newspaper' for allegedly dressing up in unfortunate uniforms & being chastised by assertive ladies?
                            That's the chap. Currently taking his privacy case to Europe http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...d-1911315.html
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                              • Nov 2010

Lots of reasons to admire the genuine talent and industry of Julian Fellowes but then he has to go and make an absolutely supreme major member of himself in suggesting that critics of his Downton Abbey are merely the voices of the Left preaching the politics of envy.

What a saddo. Get over yourself, Fellowes!

Schlock, even good schlock, is hardly a party political matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X