X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
    are you a closet Cliff Richard fan or something, for goodness sake?
    Can there possibly be any other kind? Just curious!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      Can there possibly be any other kind? Just curious!
      Cliff started out by being just curious

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Sally Lunn's Welsh Rarebit in Bath used to be worth making a trip for.
        (think I have missed the main point of this thread, but always happy to voice an opinion !!)
        Is Welsh Rarebit a euphemism for something naughty where you come from, or did Sally Lunn actually make nice cheese and tomato on toast?

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

It's a great European tradition (as is Elgar's music )

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            Blimey, Flossie, have you been reading the Daily Mail recently? Denying that people can be British citizens simply because they were born in another country seems to go rather against your usual wooly left wing viewpoint. What about all those immigrants to the UK who have taken out British citizenship? Are they therefore not really British?

I always suspected you were a closet right-winger. Perhaps we have a lot in common after all.
            You seem to have gone unusually quiet......
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
              Is Welsh Rarebit a euphemism for something naughty where you come from, or did Sally Lunn actually make nice cheese and tomato on toast?

That's the second time you've referred to tomato in the context of Welsh Rarebit, or Rabbit. Tomato has no place in the classic Rarebit/Rabbit recipe. Theodora Fitzgibbon, in 'A Taste of Wales', gives the name of the dish as Caws Pobi, or Welsh Rarebit, & lists the ingredients as cheese, butter, Worcestershire Sauce, Mustard, flour, beer (or milk for the teetotal), pepper. A variation is Buck Rarebit (which might give support to the claim that 'Rarebit' should be 'Rabbit') which has a poached egg on top. She goes on to say that her Great-aunt Polly Mary used to make a version with cheese, Welsh bacon & a small onion, minced and mixed well, & spread on toast & baked in the oven.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                You seem to have gone unusually quiet......
                No, just knitting my wooly views together.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  That's the second time you've referred to tomato in the context of Welsh Rarebit, or Rabbit. Tomato has no place in the classic Rarebit/Rabbit recipe. Theodora Fitzgibbon, in 'A Taste of Wales', gives the name of the dish as Caws Pobi, or Welsh Rarebit, & lists the ingredients as cheese, butter, Worcestershire Sauce, Mustard, flour, beer (or milk for the teetotal), pepper. A variation is Buck Rarebit (which might give support to the claim that 'Rarebit' should be 'Rabbit') which has a poached egg on top. She goes on to say that her Great-aunt Polly Mary used to make a version with cheese, Welsh bacon & a small onion, minced and mixed well, & spread on toast & baked in the oven.
                  Tomato is the nicest part of Welsh Rabbit - can't see what all the fuss is about.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    rarebits from the Principality I've invariably found to be few and far between.

or perhaps you'd prefer

Comment

• Beef Oven

The second one's nice - is she a tourist?

Comment

• scottycelt

Put it this way, Floss, I'm really sorry about yours ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

I reckon his singing would be better than yours is

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I had some Welsh Rarebit on Bangor Pier once. When it came I was a bit disapointed.

Looked like cheese on toast.

3VS

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                              I had some Welsh Rarebit on Bangor Pier once. When it came I was a bit disapointed.

Looked like cheese on toast.

3VS
                              I would have been disappointed too - no tomatoes

Comment

Working...
                              X