X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

ardcarp, hope to hear your reaction to the Leonhardt version. What singers ! - also to have Bruggen, possibly the greatest recorder player ever.

Comment

• gamba
      Late member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Thanks. I got a load of awful ones when I Youtubed.
      So did I but google had it sitting at the top of the page.

Comment

• Pipisme

I am very pleased that Charlotte Barbour-Condini, the recorder player, is through to the final.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pipisme View Post
          I am very pleased that Charlotte Barbour-Condini, the recorder player, is through to the final.

absolutely truly wonderful performer ..... but so also is the young cellist
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Simon

Yes. Good to hear a recorder played well.

But the Walton will have to be something else to beat this piano performance. Up to now, one of the most convincing first movt.s I've heard for a while.

Edit: though not as good, perhaps, in the more lyrical second movt.. I suspect his talent at this stage lies more with the fireworks, which the third movt. seems to be bearing out.
            Last edited by Guest; 13-05-12, 19:02.

Comment

• Simon

I wonder what you lot made of the whole thing?

Cellist will (and should) win on today's performance, despite Walton's concerto. How to write a concerto without any memorable tunes. Good job he did Crown Imperial to balance it!

Well done to them all, anyway.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

One horse race - the cellist was breathtakingly good - she shone at the semi-final stage and it was a performance you would have been thrilled to hear in any concert hall .

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post

Cellist will (and should) win on today's performance, despite Walton's concerto. How to write a concerto without any memorable tunes. Good job he did Crown Imperial to balance it!

I thought the cellist was the right winner on the night, but I wasn't too impressed generally. I don't agree with you about the Grieg- I thought it lacked a sense of flow and structure, and I got the impression that the soloist was pushing the tempo quite a lot of the time. Technically very good, but that was all.

The recorder- well, it was a recorder, and I can't get too excited about that.

As for the presentational style- God help us.......

(And I love the Walton cello concerto!! )
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Simon View Post

Simon likes a good tune and memorably has recommended Lachenmann's Mouvement 'to anyone who is in need of a lift'

Michel Galante conducts the Argento Chamber Ensemble live at the Monday Evening Concerts series on April 14th, 2008 at Zipper Hall in downtown Los Angeles.
                    Last edited by Guest; 14-05-12, 13:52. Reason: a lift

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Simon likes a good tune and memorably has recommended Lachenmann's Mouvement 'to anyone who is in need of lift'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BHzFggEGS4
                      Wonderful stuff ............. why anyone would choose Elgar over this beats me completely
                      and love the idea of a performance from Zipper Hall

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        Wonderful stuff ............. why anyone would choose Elgar over this beats me completely
                        A comment which shows an almost breathtaking amount of musical ignorance.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                          A comment which shows an almost breathtaking amount of musical ignorance.
                          If only you knew who is going to play the piece i'm writing today

(you make the mistake of thinking that people take themselves seriously all the time ! ........... and miss out when sometimes people are being slightly sarcastic , maybe ? If you look up "concrete language" it might help ?)

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

And why would I care?

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Simon

Good heavens Mr GG. Are you telling us that you're a real, live, composer?

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Simon likes a good tune and memorably has recommended Lachenmann's Mouvement 'to anyone who is in need of a lift'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BHzFggEGS4
                                Please would you be kind enought to explain why you have made this post?

Many thanks

Simon

Comment

Working...
                                X