X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
    Please would you be kind enought to explain why you have made this post?

Many thanks

Simon
    You'll be lucky!!!
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

It's just like the old days
      with the chums re-united

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        You'll be lucky!!!
        If he gets somebody to help him, he might manage it.

But we shouldn't tease him. I really, genuinely would like to know.

Comment

• amateur51

Please would you be kind enought to explain why you have made this post?

Many thanks

Simon
          Of course Simon, always happy to help ....

You were setting yourself up as an expert about tunes and the exact quotation is "Cellist will (and should) win on today's performance, despite Walton's concerto. How to write a concerto without any memorable tunes. "

Just so that people would understand what you mean by 'any memorable tunes' I referred to another 20th century piece that you had personally recommended, in the way I described.

Simples

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Of course Simon, always happy to help ....

You were setting yourself up as an expert about tunes and the exact quotation is "Cellist will (and should) win on today's performance, despite Walton's concerto. How to write a concerto without any memorable tunes. "

Just so that people would understand what you mean by 'any memorable tunes' I referred to another 20th century piece that you had personally recommended, in the way I described.

Simples
            Thank you.

Allow me, then, to point out the flaws in your commenting.

Falsity #1. I wasn't setting myself up as an expert about tunes. Nowhere could hat be inferred from my post.

Nonetheless I was commenting that the Walton concerto didn't seem to have any memorable ones. It is a personal opinion, just as are so many comments on these threads. (We don't need, I think, to preface every statement with "in my opinion" - that would become tedious). Others may think that Walton's work has many catchy tunes: I'm happy for them to hold that opinion, and would be delighted if they would perhaps notate them for us.

Falsity #2. You then refer, via a link, to a piece of rather tuneless music - the first section of "Mouvements". You state above that this is so that "people would understand" what I mean by "any memorable tunes".

Firstly, as was clear from the fragment that quoted before, but not in your latest post, I referred to my enjoyment of "Mouvements" not because of its tunefulness but because of other aspects of its appeal. Therefore, your attempt, by bringing this up, to imply a contradiction on my part, fails completely.

In fact, I commented about "Mouvements" because of what I perceived as its zest and cheerfulness. I know that this, too, is subjective, but it was an honest opinion in the context of another discussion. I think my words were along the lines of "if you want a lift, listen to this".

In addition, I note that you chose to link to the start of the work. (You may not, of course, be aware that it has other sections, but that isn't my fault). The start is, certainly, not particiularly lively nor tuneful.

But here is a link to the final section - the bit that I have on my ipod, actually, and the part that I had in my mind when I made my post last year or whenever it was. If people take the time to listen, I believe that most will hear quite clearly why I consider it to be a cheerful and uplifting piece.

So, there we are. Your "arguments" demonstrably flawed.

+++++

In future, Amateur, please bring some degree of intellectual rigour to your commenting, if you can.

I'm sure that it is tempting to write whatever illogical drivel first appears in your head, in the knowledge that a few other fellow-travellers of the same general views as you, and who are unwilling or unable to scrutinise your posts as to accuracy or rationality, will be around to say how wonderful you are.

Despite our fundamental disagreements on virtually everything, I think that you are probably at base rather a pleasant and well-meaning chap, and it's a shame to let yourself down by posting without thought.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

I referred to my enjoyment of "Mouvements" not because of its tunefulness but because of other aspects of its appeal.
              Simon, are you feeling well ?
              I'm a little concerned
              First you help someone on benefits and not by kicking them up the arse and telling them to stop being one of the undeserving poor.
              and NOW
              you seem to be suggesting that music can have aspects OTHER than "tunefulness" that make it appealing ?

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the next ICMC festival and Cafe Oto

welcome the the world of sonic experience (a great book as well) my friend

Comment

• amateur51

Thank you.

Allow me, then, to point out the flaws in your commenting.

Falsity #1. I wasn't setting myself up as an expert about tunes. Nowhere could hat be inferred from my post.

Nonetheless I was commenting that the Walton concerto didn't seem to have any memorable ones. It is a personal opinion, just as are so many comments on these threads. (We don't need, I think, to preface every statement with "in my opinion" - that would become tedious). Others may think that Walton's work has many catchy tunes: I'm happy for them to hold that opinion, and would be delighted if they would perhaps notate them for us.

Falsity #2. You then refer, via a link, to a piece of rather tuneless music - the first section of "Mouvements". You state above that this is so that "people would understand" what I mean by "any memorable tunes".

Firstly, as was clear from the fragment that quoted before, but not in your latest post, I referred to my enjoyment of "Mouvements" not because of its tunefulness but because of other aspects of its appeal. Therefore, your attempt, by bringing this up, to imply a contradiction on my part, fails completely.

In fact, I commented about "Mouvements" because of what I perceived as its zest and cheerfulness. I know that this, too, is subjective, but it was an honest opinion in the context of another discussion. I think my words were along the lines of "if you want a lift, listen to this".

In addition, I note that you chose to link to the start of the work. (You may not, of course, be aware that it has other sections, but that isn't my fault). The start is, certainly, not particiularly lively nor tuneful.

But here is a link to the final section - the bit that I have on my ipod, actually, and the part that I had in my mind when I made my post last year or whenever it was. If people take the time to listen, I believe that most will hear quite clearly why I consider it to be a cheerful and uplifting piece.

So, there we are. Your "arguments" demonstrably flawed.

+++++

In future, Amateur, please bring some degree of intellectual rigour to your commenting, if you can.

I'm sure that it is tempting to write whatever illogical drivel first appears in your head, in the knowledge that a few other fellow-travellers of the same general views as you, and who are unwilling or unable to scrutinise your posts as to accuracy or rationality, will be around to say how wonderful you are.

Despite our fundamental disagreements on virtually everything, I think that you are probably at base rather a pleasant and well-meaning chap, and it's a shame to let yourself down by posting without thought.
                French frank has very sensibly told us to stop squabbling

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I wonder why my thoughts are turning to Sir Roderick Spode...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I wonder why my thoughts are turning to Sir Roderick Spode...

Comment

Working...
                    X