Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    The "problem" with the recorder is that it was taken up as an instrument in schools

In many ways it's a far from ideal instrument when compared to the whistle as to play well requires a great degree of breath control that it's hard to have when you are 8
    If you visit primary schools in Ireland you find that everyone plays the whistle which has a much faster learning curve and pupils seem to enjoy playing together from the start.

(this is also one of the reasons why the whole "Sistema" style things that are happening in the UK are not such a good idea ! but that's another argument all together !)

The recorder, when played well, can be a wonderful thing to listen to ...........
    "... sounds like a moth in a bottle" is what I once heard it described as, but I agree that it can be musically played and was - on this occasion.
    (BTW Jimmy Galway was a great exponent of the penny whistle)

I would like to see the judges in a tent, just like the brass band contests, so that they have no idea of the name, sex, age, appearence (including mannerisms) of the contestants, and they can be totally objective about what they hear.

On this occasion, they would probably have reached the same verdict, but I wonder whether that 14 year old 'cellist would be at an advantage in the final? (and the keyboard section is still to come - or have I missed it?)
    HS

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

you missed the keyboard ....

is this sort of thing best done extremely well and in FULL or not at all?
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Aubade

I didn't see this. Haven't watched for some years as the format got worse. However, I followed the link that ardcarp gave. I was shocked by the "how-does-that-feel?" gush from CBH. But more seriously, the accompanists were not acknowledged. Can they all have been have been from the band (including the pianist)? The percussion accompanying the winner was sensational. Even if band members, they should still have been credited.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

so that they have no idea of the name, sex, age, appearence (including mannerisms) of the contestants, and they can be totally objective about what they hear.
          Like in The Voice?

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Like in The Voice?
            I should have thought the gender of the vocalist was pretty obvious......
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• gamba
              Late member
              • Dec 2010

To those with reservations regarding the alto recorder, I would like to invite them to listen to the opening passages of Bach's 'mourning' cantata no.106, ' Gottes Zeit ist die Allerbeste Zeit .'

The two recorders express an air of sepulchral solemnity - a hollow tone, ideally suited to the occasion. These, plus two viola da gambas, " their veiled timbre belongs to the very essence of the music " to quote Albert Schweitzer, provide an atmosphere & aural experience unobtainable with modern instruments.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

i have just watched the young lady's performance again on iPlayer astonishing playing ....
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• gamba
                  Late member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

i have just watched the young lady's performance again on iPlayer astonishing playing ....
                  Thanks for the chance to 'sample' BWV 106 again - gamba

Comment

• gamba
                    Late member
                    • Dec 2010

I love the way the recorders get 'the last word ' at the very end of this piece.

gamba

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I would like to invite them to listen to the opening passages of Bach's 'mourning' cantata no.106, ' Gottes Zeit ist die Allerbeste Zeit .'
                      Agreed! The whole cantata (a very early one) is a most affecting piece. The soprano Ja, Komm and the tenor In Deine Hande...leave me speechless.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

PS I have an old recording by Wolfgang Gonnenwein with Cosortium Musicum. Just love it....pre-HIPP but actually quite naturally HIPP through being born of the tradition.

Comment

• gamba
                          Late member
                          • Dec 2010

PS I have an old recording by Wolfgang Gonnenwein with Cosortium Musicum. Just love it....pre-HIPP but actually quite naturally HIPP through being born of the tradition.
                          Have just discovered the Gustav Leonhardt version on YouTube - a dream come true !!

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Link?

Comment

• gamba
                              Late member
                              • Dec 2010

Link?
                              ardcarp - google; bach cantata 106 musica antiqua amsterdam

Sorry I can't give you a 'proper address.'

Comment

• ardcarp
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks. I got a load of awful ones when I Youtubed.

Comment

Working...
                                X