X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man
    • Sep 2024

New R3 website schedule layout

Sorry if a thread on this has been started elsewhere but what do people think of it? Being a bit of a conservative (with a small c) I was very happy with the old layout and don't like the fonts or layout that they've used. Didn't we use to have timings ? How can one now come in at around the right time to hear a piece that one is interested in? Loath all the b****y icons for Tweets and ruddy Facebook.

R3...gone to Hell in a handbasket. The lunatics have well and truly taken over the asylum.
  • Resurrection Man

Surprised no-one else has commented on the new layout.

I really find it 'offensive' to look at.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

not sure I find it offensive as such, for the most part it is imparting exactly the same information as before, isn't it?

I guess I find it a bit odd that for the Through The Night playlist one can still see it in the old format by pressing "Show more" - what's the point of having both ?
      Jonathan Swain presents the Montreal Symphony Orchestra in concert.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I think it's a big improvement, based on what I've looked at so far. It''s seemed to be that there is clearer and more comprehensive listings of timings for particular pieces. I like the typeface and generally less cluttered feel.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Offensive is a bit harsh .
          It certainly wasn't broke but it's now been fixed.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

That's why I put 'offensive' in quotes as I couldn't really think of a better word but, as intimated by others and with which I agree, offensive per se is a bit strong.

I don't like the font or the messing around with the layout of some of the shows...for example, CotW. I knew where to look on the old site, intuitive, could move round easily. Now I have to waste time looking all over the page trying to second guess where they might have put the bits I'm interested in. As EdgeleyRob said 'It wasn't broke'.

Can't find timings either. Full of clutter, links to other stuff etc. Does anyone have the time to spend all day clicking through those links? Why this mania for spoon-feeding? Is it because of the retrograde steps inculcated in our education system over the last 30 years or so where learning by rote is the mantra rather than 'research/consider/evaluate' means that the 'new listeners' who having been spoon fed short snippets now have to be spoon fed everything else?

Grrrrrrr......[/RANT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
              Grrrrrrr......[/RANT]

(Your last word made it irresistible to use that smiley I found yesterday)
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

I find it odd to have to click, on every page visited, on "SHOW MORE" to get the very basic information.

Like what's being played.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                  I find it odd to have to click, on every page visited, on "SHOW MORE" to get the very basic information.

That's because they like their audiences to be simple folk and look at all the pretty pictures and tweets and stuff

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

If it weren't for the fact that much of the text is, comparatively, quite small it would look as if it had been designed as Large Print for the partially sighted. And 'Listen and Watch' and 'Discover' resemble primary school level.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                      • Mar 2007

There's an alternative schedule here

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                        Ooh, yes (re Private Passions: they seem to think we don't know Clive Revel Horwood was the winner of the Maestro Opera comp).
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post

Seems pointless to me -especially as the full information loads when you go to the page, but immediately disappears.

The whole re-design contradicts the basic tenet of information management & web design - clarity & ease of use, with the fewest number of clicks to get the information you want. At a stretch it could be said that the increased font size on the daily schedule is a nod towards accessibilty for people with visual impairments, but I doubt it that's why it was done

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                            This alerted me to an gross error (the claim that ENO's production is the first in Britain; Scottish Opera put it on in 2005) in the listing for tomorrow's opera, Death of Klinghoffer, & I've submitted a complaint.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              This alerted me to an gross error (the claim that ENO's production is the first in Britain; Scottish Opera put it on in 2005) in the listing for tomorrow's opera, Death of Klinghoffer, & I've submitted a complaint.
                              Hmm. Scotland is certainly part of Great Britain, but is it part of Britain? Is that not just England an Wales? I always understood that it was Scotland that made Britain Great.

See, for instance, http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...in/britain.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X