X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

On-line banking hassles

I was wondering if I am alone in experiencing these...

Needing to access my bank accounts, a week ago, I tried logging on, using the password I've now been using for a good ten years, together with a code number, which in any case appears automatically in the window concerned. But the next page informed me that I had entered either the wrong identity or code. It didn't state which. I tried unsuccessfully a second time, assuming I must have mistyped my password, and the same message appeared. The simplest solution seemed to be to re-register, with a new password. At the end of this snakes-and-ladders of a procedure, a telephone number appears at the bottom of the page, instructing one to ring this number to complete the re-registration.

A series of digital numbers has to be typed in on my phone, and done so so fast that I find myself repeatedly interrupted by the recorded voice instructor telling me there is no record to connect me with what I have (not yet completely) typed in! I do find typing in preferable to reciting details verbally, since the system does not always seem to recognise my London accent! However, I persevere with this, and am eventually put through to a real human being on the other end, who needs security verification details that I am who I claim to be. Besides the usual thing - first name, first line of address, post code, sort code etc, a firm direct debiting my account, however, she tells me that I had made a withdrawal on a particular date, and demands to know what the amount was. I explain that, not having made any note of such details, and without having access to my account on-screen - the whole point of the exercise! - I could not in any certainty say, but this is my guess. The final thing she wants to know was, in which year had I opened this account? I mean, I destroy all paperwork relating to such things after so many years; how is one expected to retain this sort of information in one's head - the very point I now make to my questioner???

At this point I am informed that I have failed to answer two of the security questions correctly, that I am therefore not be able to complete my registration, and will receive a letter in the post to take me to the next stage. The female employee on the other end refuses to tell me which two questions I have failed on!

On May 1st I receive a letter from my local authority informing me that I had not paid my Council Tax for the month of April, despite my having posted in a cheque on April 30th. If I do not pay in the required amount within 7 days, I will be disallowed payment by monthly instalments, and required to pay the remainder of the entire year's Council Tax as one payment. The Council's letter is dated 25th April!!! Leaving aside the sheer stupidity of this, the fact that the cheque had gone missing would have been made apparent had I been able to gain access to my current acount on-line. As it is, I now have to cycle the mile to my nearest cashpoint and obtain a printed mini-statement, which unfortunately only goes back as far as April 19th, and so does not include the likely date of the cheque's deduction. I now hope that the dating of my cheque will, er, exonerate me from all guilt for having had my cheque "lost" in the post or in the receiving department.

The aforementioned letter from the bank arrived yesterday, dated April 28th, , giving me a new Security Number for ringing up the bank's automated service. What this has to do with getting me back on-line, I've yet to discover; however, the Security Number "is on the scratch off part of the secure panel at the bottom of this letter". Aha! The only problem is, scratching off of the patch is impossible because it is made of some plasticy material that doesn't scratch off; when peeled it starts taking with it the surface of the paper underneath. Woops - better try steaming it off then. This only results in the patch crumpling, so using a sharp kitchen knife I manage to peel it off. On the back, barely decipherable through the surface paper of the letter it took with it, is the six-digit security number, which I have to quote two digits from determined by the (presumably) robotic voice at the other end, should I summon up the courage to venture further in my quest. What I can make of the number is in 8's, 1's and 0's, so I am not sure if I am looking at a mirror imprint of a number originally on the page beneath.

Jeeeeeeesus!!!!!

My latest effort to log on immediately presents in the box the second of the code numbers my four futile re-registering efforts came up with, but refuses to recognise any of the same succession of passwords. Each of the four attempts I have made in the past week to obtain access to my bank details has left me in states of near-collapse, and in need of a stiff drink and an hour's lie-down, and I was wondering if fellow boardees have experienced, or are experiencing similar problems with on-line banking.

What's the going interest on deposit accounts??

In utter fury and total frustration, and near to considering withdrawing all my money to a large trunk under the bed

Serial-apologist
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 03-05-12, 15:24.
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

I am frustrated just reading your post.

I feel sure it won't be any help, but I abandoned internet banking after getting Phished a few years back(no harm done, but I got the jitters).

I am lucky in that i have easy access to branches(up 3 flights of stairs at at the back of the building if you want to see a face, but so it goes).

My only, very simplistic advice would be, see if First Direct can do what you need on their phone service. If your needs are fairly straightforward, they are brilliant.

(PS good news, though, that you need a large trunk for the cash........!!)
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      (PS good news, though, that you need a large trunk for the cash........!!)
      Indeed that is good news, I think I should get to know S_A better ..........
      I don't bank online, somehow I just don't feel comfortable with it and I also am only 20 minutes walk from my branch, I agree with teamsaint, see what you can accomplish by phoning them directly rather than try and solve it online.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Reading S_A's account also makes me glad I have resisted calls to move to internet banking. In fairness, my bank (HSBC) happily accepts that I prefer more traditional methods - and I can do most things, like moving money between accounts or paying bills, by using the machines in the bank (with assistance on hand if necessary) or using the phone. I am also able to ignore any emails from financial sources, since I have not given my email address to any of them. (My standard response to the common question from companies I deal with, "We don't appear to have your email address", is "That is correct!")

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

I often think about whether I should sign up for online banking but having heard so many negative comments about it from a number of people and having now read the above I feel as discouraged as ever from getting involved in it; it's bad enough receiving all the scam emails purporting to be from banks about accounts that I don't have with them (as I'm sure most of us also do), but the prospect of something going wrong as a consequence of a genuine online banking arrangement fills me with horror. I'm nowhere near any branch of my bank and, though I don't wish to sound complacent, I am very fortunate in the truly outstanding quality and efficiency of service that I receive from its staff whenever I conduct transactions or make enquiries by phone; I have no doubt that others have far worse experiences of trying even to access, let alone deal with, their banks by phone but I can speak only from personal experience.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
            Reading S_A's account also makes me glad I have resisted calls to move to internet banking. In fairness, my bank (HSBC) happily accepts that I prefer more traditional methods - and I can do most things, like moving money between accounts or paying bills, by using the machines in the bank (with assistance on hand if necessary) or using the phone. I am also able to ignore any emails from financial sources, since I have not given my email address to any of them. (My standard response to the common question from companies I deal with, "We don't appear to have your email address", is "That is correct!")
            Yours might end up as my solution, VodkaDilc, since, as in yours, teamsaint's and Anna's case, my nearest branch is within a mile's walking or cycling distance. If there is a machine there that can do inter-account transactions, or if these can be done on some cashpoints, this would solve my problem; mini-statements appear to cover a fortnight, which is also not a problem, for as long as I remain mobile! The only problem with them is that they give inputs and outgoings, but not the sources; but since my bank sends me prints of all my statements every 6 months, I can always catch up. One other problem remains maintaining the required amounts in my current account without direct debits putting me unawares into the red; but, hassle though this may be, my "Noddy" system of manual accounts will keep me in line, as long as I always remember to note all transactions.

Thanks, everyone, for your views, and, commisserations!

S-A

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

S_A I have banked online for a decade or more with one particular operator and (touching wood with all available exposed flesh ) I have never had a second's bother, indeed they have been much better than real banks I've used in the past (or a trunk under the bed).

If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll tell you more.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Simon B
                • Dec 2010

I, and I suspect many others, have had the "have to reset/re-register after wrong/forgotten password" problem several times.

It is, undoubtedly, a bit of a palaver. Unfortunately, it has to be really. Much as it pains me not to blame the banks for something, things aren't like this for their convenience. The culprits are the rather significant number of people trying very hard to steal from you.

It probably won't be much consolation to you, though it might lessen the sense of a conspiracy against you (I don't mean that provocatively - it's about how I felt when being asked cryptic questions about when I opened an account, details of the last transaction, several years ago as it happens!), so:

using the password I've now been using for a good ten years
                This is a bad idea - so for all the infuration involved, they've done you a favour if the process ends up forcing you to change it.

and demands to know what the amount was
                in which year had I opened this account?
                refuses to tell me which two questions I have failed on!

Unfortunately it's necessary to establish many independent, unpredictable (from your point of view), unguessable facts from you in the process. Unfortunately it's also reasonable to expect that many legitimate callers aren't going to be able to answer these questions. It's a bit of an intractible problem really. In particular the refusal to tell you which answers you got wrong has nothing to do with being intransigent or surly - it's vital for the integrity of the process that they don't tell the caller anything like this.

Agreed, there is an ease-of-use problem with those security-code letters sent through the post. Again, unfortunately it's for a reason. There is a direct tradeoff between the risk of them being undetectably compromised before they get to you and how hard they are to use when they do. They usually work ok if you read and follow the instructions carefully (which tend to be a bit cryptic and have to be interpreted somewhat forensically!).

Despite all the palaver, I'd hate to have to go back to doing everything in branches - the total amount of tedium, inconvenience and wasted time involved is far greater than dealing with intermittently capricious online banking systems.

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

have you always paid council tax by cheque?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    have you always paid council tax by cheque?
                    I pay mine monthly by DD and also, ref S_A above, my bank sends me monthly statements, which makes it easier to keep track
                    Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    S_A I have banked online for a decade or more with one particular operator and (touching wood with all available exposed flesh ) I have never had a second's bother, indeed they have been much better than real banks I've used in the past (or a trunk under the bed).
                    So, not a real bank then ............ Don't you have to pass an initiation ceremony to bank with Coutts?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      So, not a real bank then ............ Don't you have to pass an initiation ceremony to bank with Coutts?
                      Probably. Light flagellation by leather cheque-book holders, perhaps.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Ahem.
                        Last edited by DracoM; 03-05-12, 16:53. Reason: mistake

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
                          Despite all the palaver, I'd hate to have to go back to doing everything in branches - the total amount of tedium, inconvenience and wasted time involved is far greater than dealing with intermittently capricious online banking systems.
                          I too have always avoided online banking for my main account, (though I do run credit card accounts on line).

What, I wonder, composes the 'everything' you would have to do in branches?

I only visit a branch (in any town I happen to be in) to pay in a cheque, perhaps once a month. Standing orders take care of most regular payments, ATMs to get cash, and on line payments are made either by credit or bank debit card. Whenever I get cash I get a mini statement, which usually overlaps the last, and the bank sends me monthly statements anyway. New cheque and paying in books are sent automatically.

It does mean that when I have been ocasionally off line, because of computer changes or broadband problems, I have not had to seek out the help of neighbours or find an internet cafe to keep my finances rolling - that would be an inconvenience.

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            I pay mine monthly by DD
                            well yes, me too, I wondered if S-A had something against DD
                            paying by cheque by post seems to me to have so many pitfalls attached

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

Internet banking - best thing since sliced bread. My only grumble is that physical cheques still have to be paid into a physical bank.
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                              X