News on Radio 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum

The OP could have substituted "news" with "trailers". They are both the bane of modern broadcasting and Radio 3 should be a banality free zone, as it once was, of course. However, "they" would tell us that the bulletins were introduced in response to requests from listeners, and, of course, we know how responsive they are to us listeners.

As John W says, it's designed to stop people turning to R4, or other stations. Frankly, as they seem to have replaced one set of listeners with another, that might be true of the majority who do now listen to Breakfast.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      Sorry to be the contrary voice, but I think brief news bulletins on R3 are useful - at the very least they might alert you to something that you might want to hear about in more depth on Radio 4. And they also, sometimes? often?, feature more arts-related stories than R4 does.
      I don't think any of us would object to them relating arts "stories". Even the old R3 did that. In fact, frankly Breakfast and In Tune would benefit from increasing its coverage of the arts at the expense of the listerner interaction with which management is fixated.

But news? I mean can't you just go the BBC website or tune to R4 for 5 minutes and then switch back? You'd get your news fix and the rest of us could indulge ourselves in the pretence that the world has stopped for a few minutes.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
        Ever listen to news on R1 or R2? They always sound like they are on high alert, the world will endafter this broadcast......
        Usually followed by a "track" that seems to confirm the prediction!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

if they did not broadcsat any news or trailers at all and put on the odd play ....?
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            I think that news at 0700, 0800, 1300, 1700, 1800 is enough. On breakfast at times it sounds like a news programme interspersed with bits of music!
            My thoughts too.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Aren't we all getting a bit petty? Short news summaries have been a feature on Radio 3 for many years, and they are surely to be preferred to yet another trailer. If you don't want the news, you can always feed the cat or or have a tinkle.

Carping is good fun, but it gets in the way of musical discussion. I'd like to read more people's opinions about the music they love.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                Aren't we all getting a bit petty? Short news summaries have been a feature on Radio 3 for many years, and they are surely to be preferred to yet another trailer. If you don't want the news, you can always feed the cat or or have a tinkle.
                Cats shouldn't really be fed that often - and don't you mean "have a Pee"? No, of course you don't...

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  Aren't we all getting a bit petty?
                  Yes, but no surprise there!

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I see the news on Channel 4 which is actually proper authenticated news.

Maybe Radio 3 could play some modern pieces instead of news and trailers.

3VS

Comment

• Chris Newman
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

To my knowledge the News on Radio 3 is very brief and very rare compared with other services. I welcome a change of thinking processes so I don't mind it. I do not really approve of "ghetto" radio and television.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I don't think that 4 Extra has any news? If so, fantastic. There is too much news on Radio 3. The main problem is the newspaper watch at breakfast time. And news should be dropped entirely from 6music.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                          To my knowledge the News on Radio 3 is very brief and very rare compared with other services. I welcome a change of thinking processes so I don't mind it. I do not really approve of "ghetto" radio and television.
                          So, um, more classical/contemporary music, on all over the place? The trouble with the 'no ghettos' idea is that Radio 3 can be opened to anything and everything, but the flow is one way: in.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                            I absolutely agree about ghetto Radio.
                            however, my issue with "The News" , is what exactly the purpose is.
                            A large proportion of "News" seems to be speculation about what might happen.

I know that I am very cynical about those running the news agendas.......but until I see news that actually reflects what is happening in the world, and not what the bankers puppets in whitehall would like to happen, then they can keep it as far as I am concerned. 3VS' suggestion of replacing it with some modern music is a great idea..........perhaps with a snippet of intro from the composer, or a decent critic........or a fan !!
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              So, um, more classical/contemporary music, on all over the place? The trouble with the 'no ghettos' idea is that Radio 3 can be opened to anything and everything, but the flow is one way: in.
                              But R3 is no worse a ghetto than R1, 2 or 6 music.

Perhaps R3 is in a good position to lead, so that maybe, just maybe, somebody at R1 , for instance could engage brain and follow, and something healthy could develop.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                But R3 is no worse a ghetto than R1, 2 or 6 music.

Perhaps R3 is in a good position to lead, so that maybe, just maybe, somebody at R1 , for instance could engage brain and follow, and something healthy could develop.
                                Well, ever since R3 started abandoning its 'No fixed points' to triumphantly end at 'All fixed points' and 'No crutches' to 'accessible and welcoming', and 'Prima la musica' to 'Prima la celebrità', it has been leading the way out from its ghetto. But still no sign of anyone else following during these past 20 or so years ...
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X