X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Extended Play
    • Oct 2024

News on Radio 3

What is the point of news summaries on Radio 3? Would the network be poorer without them?
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Extended Play View Post
    What is the point of news summaries on Radio 3? Would the network be poorer without them?
    From my point of view, not at all poorer. I could very well do without them.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Panjandrum

I agree. I've said before get rid of it. If, and when I want the news, there are far better summaries to be had online or Radio 4 etc. Keep Radio 3 for the music. Some of us actually like not having the mundane impinge upon our consciousness for a few sacred hours.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        I agree. I've said before get rid of it. If, and when I want the news, there are far better summaries to be had online or Radio 4 etc. Keep Radio 3 for the music. Some of us actually like not having the mundane impinge upon our consciousness for a few sacred hours.
        I agree completely with your sentiments, Pj.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          If, and when I want the news, there are far better summaries to be had online or Radio 4 etc. Keep Radio 3 for the music. Some of us actually like not having the mundane impinge upon our consciousness for a few sacred hours.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

i could cope with 2 summaries a day, of real news, not the government spin the BBC usually give us.

otherwise, rather not, thanks.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Likewise, I can see little point in or need for such bulletins on Radio 3 when there are other places just down the dial where such information can so easily be sourced; whilst I don't have a rooted objecton to the odd news bulletin on 3, I still see no obvious need for it there, (french?)frankly...

Comment

• Extended Play

If Radio 3 wants to be a network that provides news, isn't one requirement to do so at fairly regular intervals throughout the day (and night)? I stand to be corrected, but I don't think there's anything between early evening and the following morning. Hard to justify, surely.

Comment

• John Wright
                  • Mar 2007

I expect the news on R3 is there to deter/prevent one from switching to R4 for the latest headlines - you might not switch back
                  - - -

John W

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
                    I expect the news on R3 is there to deter/prevent one from switching to R4 for the latest headlines - you might not switch back
                    The news is there to keep us all fearful and controlled.
                    That's why they insist on regular news on music channels.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• John Wright
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      The news is there to keep us all fearful and controlled.
                      That's why they insist on regular news on music channels.
                      well at least the R3 news voice is always calm and collected. Ever listen to news on R1 or R2? They always sound like they are on high alert, the world will endafter this broadcast......
                      - - -

John W

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
                        well at least the R3 news voice is always calm and collected. Ever listen to news on R1 or R2? They always sound like they are on high alert, the world will endafter this broadcast......
                        well it may well............just a question of how long after !!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

I think that news at 0700, 0800, 1300, 1700, 1800 is enough. On breakfast at times it sounds like a news programme interspersed with bits of music!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Sorry to be the contrary voice, but I think brief news bulletins on R3 are useful - at the very least they might alert you to something that you might want to hear about in more depth on Radio 4. And they also, sometimes? often?, feature more arts-related stories than R4 does.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              Sorry to be the contrary voice, but I think brief news bulletins on R3 are useful - at the very least they might alert you to something that you might want to hear about in more depth on Radio 4. And they also, sometimes? often?, feature more arts-related stories than R4 does.
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                              X